X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University season thread 4: Where BC comes to talk hockey

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
    Correct. April 27th is his last game with Colorado and he will take over the coaching staff immediately after.
    Oh, I figured when he accepted a new job he would finish with the Avs right away and they'd backfill with a minor league guy or something. I'm missing something here...if he had gotten a head coaching job in the NHL when somebody got fired he wouldn't have finished out the year with the Avs (obviously)...why would he do that with a college job, and why would they want him to? Isn't a clean, immediate break the best way? Especially if they aren't playoff bound.

I understand the Charlie Weis staying with the Pats through the SB thing...but hockey assistant coaches getting new jobs mid-year isn't something recent...is it always a "finish the year with the old club" protocol?
    I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
      I haven't looked at the standings, recently. No chance the 'Lanche go to the playoffs?
      Well they are last in the West. 9 games to go, 12 points and 7 teams out of the 8th seed.

Originally posted by pirate View Post
      Oh, I figured when he accepted a new job he would finish with the Avs right away and they'd backfill with a minor league guy or something. I'm missing something here...if he had gotten a head coaching job in the NHL when somebody got fired he wouldn't have finished out the year with the Avs (obviously)...why would he do that with a college job, and why would they want him to? Isn't a clean, immediate break the best way? Especially if they aren't playoff bound.

I understand the Charlie Weis staying with the Pats through the SB thing...but hockey assistant coaches getting new jobs mid-year isn't something recent...is it always a "finish the year with the old club" protocol?
      I don't know exactly why. I could speculate it was out of respect/appreciation/whatever-you-want-to-call-it to Sacco for giving him the opportunity, but that would be simply speculation. However, if you were to pick an unimportant month to be a college hockey head coach the one immediately after the team is eliminated is up there. Signing period starts 4/18, but the class is already wrapped up (unless any Maine or DU kids want to join ). Assistants, Boyle, and Jack are still around for the players' workouts, and Quinn has spoken to the team as a whole already, and communicates via phone with Boston as frequently as you would expect. 17 days til he is in his Boston office full time.

Comment

Well they are last in the West. 9 games to go, 12 points and 7 teams out of the 8th seed.

I don't know exactly why. I could speculate it was out of respect/appreciation/whatever-you-want-to-call-it to Sacco for giving him the opportunity, but that would be simply speculation. However, if you were to pick an unimportant month to be a college hockey head coach the one immediately after the team is eliminated is up there. Signing period starts 4/18, but the class is already wrapped up (unless any Maine or DU kids want to join ). Assistants, Boyle, and Jack are still around for the players' workouts, and Quinn has spoken to the team as a whole already, and communicates via phone with Boston as frequently as you would expect. 17 days til he is in his Boston office full time.
        Yeah, no implication it will hurt anything, just thinking I'd want to get started day 1...regardless. But, based on the DU speculation etc. maybe BU got permission to talk and make an offer contingent on Quinn not leaving CO short a coach.

Colorado has a contract with him and I guess could have made it more complicated if Quinn/BU wanted him to leave immediately.
        I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

I read in the Globe on Sunday that the annual wrestling budget was about $170k. Not sure if that is true but if it is, it is pretty sad that we are cutting it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
            I read in the Globe on Sunday that the annual wrestling budget was about $170k. Not sure if that is true but if it is, it is pretty sad that we are cutting it.
            I completely understand not having football, as expensive as it is. Hard to believe the school is better off killing something like wrestling to save what amounts to a rounding error in the budget

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
              I completely understand not having football, as expensive as it is. Hard to believe the school is better off killing something like wrestling to save what amounts to a rounding error in the budget
              I haven't looked into this enough to know which side of the argument I stand, however:

I think BU was getting to the point where in order to keep the program they were going to need to completely overhaul the facilities, and the reason BU is the top program in New England is almost solely attributed to the coach, who is nearing retirement age. So when the sport is about to require a large infusion of money for renovations, and even with that performance would be expected to drop in the near future, for a non revenue sport... it is far from the most absurd decision an athletic department has made.

Comment

I haven't looked into this enough to know which side of the argument I stand, however:

I think BU was getting to the point where in order to keep the program they were going to need to completely overhaul the facilities, and the reason BU is the top program in New England is almost solely attributed to the coach, who is nearing retirement age. So when the sport is about to require a large infusion of money for renovations, and even with that performance would be expected to drop in the near future, for a non revenue sport... it is far from the most absurd decision an athletic department has made.
                The facilities point possibly makes some sense... why didn't they incorporate some space for wrestling during the whole athletic department re-do? It makes me think this has been on their minds for a while. In reality none of our sports are revenue sports (with the possible exception of hockey)... so all in all I think it is a weak decision by the athletic department (or whoever made the final call on it).

I know they are working on saving the program. BU cut the crew programs in the 80's as well, and the alums and others stepped up to save them. Hopefully the same happens for Wrestling.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                  The facilities point possibly makes some sense... why didn't they incorporate some space for wrestling during the whole athletic department re-do? It makes me think this has been on their minds for a while. In reality none of our sports are revenue sports (with the possible exception of hockey)... so all in all I think it is a weak decision by the athletic department (or whoever made the final call on it).

I know they are working on saving the program. BU cut the crew programs in the 80's as well, and the alums and others stepped up to save them. Hopefully the same happens for Wrestling.
                  Hockey is a revenue sport, at least in the sense of it's not in the red according to the few figures that have been released over the years. I would hope they're at least cutting wrestling in favor of something else, perhaps baseball, since they denied Title IX as a reason for axing the wrestling program.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                    Hockey is a revenue sport, at least in the sense of it's not in the red according to the few figures that have been released over the years. I would hope they're at least cutting wrestling in favor of something else, perhaps baseball, since they denied Title IX as a reason for axing the wrestling program.
                    It would seem that baseball would be a far more revenue-intensive sport. There's no field on which to play, and equipment is a bit more than wrestling gear. Plus, the early season is basically in the south. Has men's lacrosse been funded yet?
                    Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                    ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

As far as I know BU has been renovating different parts of the facility at different times, it's not like there was ever a year Case, or even one floor or wing of Case, was gutted and completely redone. Had they done that and skipped the wrestling area that'd convince me it had been on their minds for a while. Now I can't tell, maybe it was, but I don't have enough evidence to persuade myself of it.

Also I should have used a word other than revenue, because by that logic we would have a men's hockey department not an athletic department. I meant a sport that is a draw. Sure basketball, soccer, and lacrosse don't get good attendance figures at all, but they are visible parts of the school. Honestly, if I didn't know a kid who shared my major and was on the wrestling team I'm not sure I would have known BU had a wrestling team before this announcement. I'd hear more about women's golf than wrestling, I'm not even kidding about that. I wonder if the Olympics dumping wrestling impacted BU's decision at all.

Comment

I take back what I said a few pages back that "BU could have been Yale." Man, are they fun to watch. Their power play is a thing of beauty.

I'm all in on the Bulldogs! Go Ylae!!!

Last ECAC team in a final was Colgate in 1990.
                        It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                          Last ECAC team in a final was Colgate in 1990.
                          There's still no freaking way that team beat us in Detroit. No. Way.
                          Bugs Bunny - 96
                          Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                            ...., since they denied Title IX as a reason for axing the wrestling program.
                            Mookie always spots some potential wwe divas on campus. He would be the initial Friends of Women's Wrestling if so required

(And yes this could become a revenue sport )
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I frequently wonder why more women don't post here

Comment

I frequently wonder why more women don't post here
                                Shame, really.
                                Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                                ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Working...
                                X