This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University season thread 4: Where BC comes to talk hockey

BU is a GREAT job. But it is not top three job in the country. That is all.

Comment

Battle of the red skittles!

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      So you believe that no one wanted one of the top 2 or 3 jobs in the country try and they settled Quinn? They had been talking with him since November and no one else.
      Oh hokydope, please name the 1 or 2 jobs better

This should be fun

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        BU is a GREAT job. But it is not top three job in the country. That is all.
        This is all opinion an depends on the criteria you are looking at it with. Some might view the opportunity to being a traditionally dominant program back to great from good to be the best job out there.

What jobs are better than BU's in your opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
          This is all opinion an depends on the criteria you are looking at it with. Some might view the opportunity to being a traditionally dominant program back to great from good to be the best job out there.

MN, UND, UW, MI and BC for starters.

Comment

• Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
            MN, UND, UW, MI and BC for starters.
            What criteria are you using that makes those jobs better?

Comment

Taking everything into consideration, I don't really think it is an opinion...but I understand what you're saying. To me (in no particular order), the top four jobs in the country are Minnesota, North Dakota, Michigan and Wisconsin.

Comment

I don't think the bc job is better.

I think it absolutely sucks that bc hockey gets third string status up there behind football and bball.
                I think it spoke highly of your donor who gave $$$ and had to earmark it for hockey
                I think it sucks that hokey is limited in use of their rink because of your ACC rules on floor requirements
                I think it was a travesty that your boys and girls won beanpot a and the bc athletic web page found it worthy of front page status to list instead football signing day and bball loss stories instead.
                I think you can't discount the top tier on campus level of support that hockey gets at bu, Siouxland, etc in ranking the profile of the jobs.

I also think its foolhardy to assume you will continue with the same level of success and status after Jerry leaves. If this was a stock the time to cash out would be now.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I'm guess for the first four (who are all ginormous state schools) he is going to say state benefits, pension, etc. Plus an unlimited budget and support that might not be possible in a private institution. And of course, a gigantic fan base (much bigger than what BU has). The part about throwing BC in there is just an "anti-BU" comment. Kind of funny, because when you are talking about the Gophers, Whioux, Badgers and Wolverines, BU AND BC are in the same boat in any comparison. Just take BC out of there and I understand what he is saying. Plus, they are all in a part of the country that is much more engaged with college sports. There is NO pro competition in Grand Forks and not much in Madison, Ann Arbor and Minneapolis (not like there is in Boston). Just watch the local news (especially channel 5). When do you EVER hear BU hockey even mentioned unless it's in the Beanpot or this year because of the coaching thing? Yet they will show BC highlights whenever they have a 15 second time gap to fill. They NEVER show BU highlights.
                  Last edited by chickod; 03-30-2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

A combination of things, including history, academics, facilities, local fan support, recent success/winning percentage, a lack of scandals, location, etc.

BU unfortunately loses out on the last 4 bigtime

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                      A combination of things, including history, academics, facilities, local fan support, recent success/winning percentage, a lack of scandals, location, etc.

BU unfortunately loses out on the last 4 bigtime
                      So I guess Norm Bazin took the job "despite" Lowell's lack of success, huh? Did it ever occur to you that a coach can create a legacy by BUILDING (or RESTORING) a winning program rather than just taking a job with a front-runner? Nobody wins forever. You guys over there have short memories.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        I don't think the bc job is better.

I think it absolutely sucks that bc hockey gets third string status up there behind football and bball.
                        I think it spoke highly of your donor who gave $$$ and had to earmark it for hockey
                        I think it sucks that hokey is limited in use of their rink because of your ACC rules on floor requirements
                        I think it was a travesty that your boys and girls won beanpot a and the bc athletic web page found it worthy of front page status to list instead football signing day and bball loss stories instead.
                        I think you can't discount the top tier on campus level of support that hockey gets at bu, Siouxland, etc in ranking the profile of the jobs.

I also think its foolhardy to assume you will continue with the same level of success and status after Jerry leaves. If this was a stock the time to cash out would be now.
                        mook, how do you know that york isn't given everything he needs to run a top notch program? especially with a new AD that came from a school with a strong hockey program? the fan support certainly isn't lacking. right now, it's tops in the league. obviously they will not continue at this rate of success, though. i don't think anyone thinks that. it's not like michigan hockey brings in the money that hoops and football do--that's how it is at all BCS schools. in one way or another, hockey will always be behind hoops and football at BCS schools. i don't see that as a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          in one way or another, hockey will always be behind hoops and football at BCS schools. i don't see that as a problem.
                          Yeah but being "behind" at schools like that is still more than what you have at most other places...I'd rather be "ranked" third in the Big 10 than first in, say, America East...(I'm speaking in financial terms with support, endowment, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            When do you EVER hear BU hockey even mentioned unless it's in the Beanpot or this year because of the coaching thing?
                            I can think of a couple recent examples...

Yet they will show BC highlights whenever they have a 15 second time gap to fill. They NEVER show BU highlights.
                            I don't know if this is true or not, but what does it tell you?

Comment

Yeah but being "behind" at schools like that is still more than what you have at most other places...I'd rather be "ranked" third in the Big 10 than first in, say, America East...(I'm speaking in financial terms with support, endowment, etc)
                              I agree.

Comment

• BU, BC, Michigan and MN are the 4 top jobs in the country. ND? Their top rated TV show is Bonanza re runs

BU will be a power in 2/3 years

Quinn
                                Quinn
                                Quinn

Comment

Working...
                                X