X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University season thread 4: Where BC comes to talk hockey

Originally posted by mwade View Post
    And Gary Cooper and every great older character actor that studio had under contract. One of my absolute favorite movies.
    My mother-in-law just passed away in January. She grew up in New Jersey, across the river from Manhattan. Her dad was at the famous 1938 Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall Concert. It was so fascinating to listen to her tell stories of what life was like then...I felt as though I was traveling back in a time machine and was actually there. I could have listened for hours. All of those people will be gone soon, and the only link we will have to the past is what has been left behind in the movies and the songs.

Comment

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
      Has mookie always referred to himself in the 3rd person ?
      He does on the golf course!
      Originally posted by mookie1995
      bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
      Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
      Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
        If you want to know why BU is out of the NCAA's as of now look at the fact that 25% of their wins were against Merrimack.
        The problem is not the wins against Merrimack... it is the OOC losses to Harvard.

Comment

So I had posted this on the previous thread (I don't know how to quote from other threads):

"So if BU plays PC, that means BC is playing Maine (as we've already established that BC will be making it to the Garden) and the inevitable Maine-PC final would be a dream matchup for any Hockey East fan. Maine wins 40-6, becomes a TUC and Maine, BU (boosted by the wins vs Maine who is now a TUC), BC, UNH, PC (boosted by a 3-1 record vs TUC's to finish the season), and UML all make the tournament.

Can it happen? No, but if it could who wouldn't root for that?"

While I was wrong about the tournament matchups, it turns out that it is still possible for 5 of those teams to make the tournament (assuming this pairwise predictor is accurate).

If the following happens (there are probably other scenarios as well):

Atlantic Hockey
          Semifinal #2: Mercyhurst defeats Connecticut
          Semifinal #1: Niagara defeats Canisius
          Championship game: Niagara defeats Mercyhurst

CCHA
          Semifinal #2: Ohio State defeats Notre Dame
          Semifinal #1: Miami defeats Michigan
          Championship game: Miami defeats Ohio State

ECAC
          Semifinal #2: Yale defeats Union
          Semifinal #1: Quinnipiac defeats Brown
          Championship game: Quinnipiac defeats Yale
          Consolation game: Brown defeats Union

Hockey East
          Semifinal #2: Boston University defeats Boston College
          Semifinal #1: Providence defeats Massachusetts-Lowell
          Championship game: Providence defeats Boston University

WCHA
          Play-in #2: Colorado College defeats North Dakota
          Play-in #1: Minnesota State defeats Wisconsin
          Semifinal #2: Minnesota defeats Colorado College
          Semifinal #1: Minnesota State defeats St. Cloud State
          Championship game: Minnesota defeats Minnesota State

Then the Hockey East teams get the following final rankings in the Pairwise:

5. UML
          5. BC
          9. UNH
          14. PC
          15. BU

BU ends up tied with Notre Dame and RPI, but I believe they do the tiebreaker when listing them so

15t. Notre Dame
          15t. BU
          15t. RPI

would really be

15. Notre Dame
          16. BU
          17. RPI

right? Anyone else found any interesting scenarios?
          Last edited by Terrance; 03-18-2013, 10:14 AM.

Comment

I love love love this time of the year when we look at the astronomical scenarios in which BU can get an at-large.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              funny to consider... but connolly of uscho on nesn just said that if bu wins friday, and union wins a couple games in the ezac tourney, bu could get in as an at-large and not need to win hea.

not too sure of that.... but he probably worked it out
              As I said before: Put down the Power and walk away!

BU Hockey: They Made Their Bed. Just Win, Baby
              It Happened!!!!

Comment

What's the best strategy for buying tickets for this weekend? Are there sections for each team and how do you find out where they are?
                #OneKnight

Comment

It's autobid or go home. We sealed that up when we were losing to Harvard and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                    As I said before: Put down the Power and walk away!

BU Hockey: They Made Their Bed. Just Win, Baby
                    Thank you very much!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUPhD View Post
                      It's autobid or go home. We sealed that up when we were losing to Harvard and the like.
                      You can choose to ignore the PWR if you want, but this is quite false. I'll bet anyone here a 6-pack that if BU wins 1 game next weekend they go to the tourney, it's by no means a lock, but it is probably over a 50% chance.

Comment

"Doctors say that Nordberg has a 50/50 chance of living, though there's only a 10 percent chance of that." - The Naked Gun

According to Sioux Sports, 25.8% of the possible scenarios give BU an at-large bid. They didn't say it, but I'd gather 100% of said scenarios involve beating BC.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                          What's the best strategy for buying tickets for this weekend? Are there sections for each team and how do you find out where they are?
                          You can buy through each school or through the Garden. BC and BU fans are usually in opposite sections of rink but if you don't buy through the school, you will see BC and BU fans scattered everywhere and then you have the fans of the other 2 schools. Since Lowell and PC are playing in the early game, not sure how many will stay for the night cap game.
                          NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                            You can choose to ignore the PWR if you want, but this is quite false. I'll bet anyone here a 6-pack that if BU wins 1 game next weekend they go to the tourney, it's by no means a lock, but it is probably over a 50% chance.
                            If they beat BC and lose to Lowell, they will get the very last at large bid if no one wins an auto bid that isn't already predicted to do so. So we're rooting for all the favorites, basically.

If BU loses to BC there is no situation where they can win a bid to the tournament. If they lose to Providence in the championship game, they cannot make the tourney as a loss to Providence will give them the auto bid AND drop BU in the PWR.

But really the boys have to think that they have to win every game left.

6 games and the national championship is yours! Hahahaha. Sigh.
                            Last edited by Terrierbyassociation; 03-18-2013, 11:40 AM.
                            Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                              Hahahaha. Sigh.
                              My thoughts exactly.
                              Bugs Bunny - 96
                              Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                                If they beat BC and lose to Lowell, they will get the very last at large bid if no one wins an auto bid that isn't already predicted to do so. So we're rooting for all the favorites, basically.

If BU loses to BC there is no situation where they can win a bid to the tournament. If they lose to Providence in the championship game, they cannot make the tourney as a loss to Providence will give them the auto bid AND drop BU in the PWR.

But really the boys have to think that they have to win every game left.

6 games and the national championship is yours! Hahahaha. Sigh.
                                Yeah I'm not saying (royal) you should run through every scenario, I'm not even going to be looking at the PWR myself this week, just stating HE Title is not our only way in, and the other way is not some hair-brained, 1 in 3 million, needing all upsets in the WCHA and a tie in the ECAC consolation game scenario.

ETA: I have seen people post ways for BU to get in while losing to PC, but I have not tried them myself.
                                Last edited by Agganis; 03-18-2013, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X