This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
    Please don't cloud the issue with facts...

It's almost the some and those extra 2000 folks might, as you suggest, want to have a $7 pint of beer.
    I agree with you... I just mean that I'm sure these decisions are made more by bean counters than hockey fans.

Comment

• Re: Boston University season thread 4: Where BC comes to talk hockey

Lots of thoughts.

First - on ticket prices - it really is a shame. I have two boys who enjoy going to games, one REALLY loves them. Thankfully, yesterday, I knew tickets would be available, so I didn't have to pay the ticketraper fees. But still, $28 for one ticket. If two friends (who are posters here) hadn't offered up their extras, it would have been either just me or, me + 1. If prices were reasonable, I might even consider season tickets, or certainly a half-season package. But instead, I pick about 2 games that I'll actually bring the kids to, and we try to catch them on the road at MC or UML for a couple others.

Women's game - caught the last 12 minutes or so - very entertaining. Clarkson made a late push, but BU hung on to earn their trip to the FF. I realized how subjective the "Body-checking" call is in a tight high energy game. Loved being back in WBA. But the highlight was seeing Bill Bellicheck (sp?) walking through the Case lobby on our way in. Apparently his daughter coaches the Ohio State lacrosse team, who was playing BU.

Men's Game

- My first star was without a doubt Matt Lane. I haven't seen anybody who can go from being behind a guy to getting position on a puck better than him in a long time. He just knows how to lean into a guy without it being a penalty, and next thing you know, he has the puck. His play on the Rosen goal was brilliant. His move to the middle where he hit the post was also very nice.
      - That MacGregor/Grzyelck turnover was UGLY. MacGregor tried to pass it to Grzyelck when he was right next to him. I couldn't help but think how much better we would have looked with Alexx and Garrett out there.
      - Rodrigues made a couple poor decisions - trying to get past three guys at once, making blind drop passes that led to odd-man rushes the other way. He is skating really well, he just needs to stick to the safe play more often.
      - Nieto is on a tear - hope he can keep it going against BC.
      - I'm channeling the 2003 HE Semi Final (Maiser Hat Trick, winner in 2OT) - seems similar in that BC is the better team, but BU is solid and if the planets align, can pull off the upset.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

On another note... Looking at the players reaction of Parker's announcement, can we agree that the "issue" is not that the players somehow didn't relate to, didn't like, or that somehow Jack had "lost them"?

Comment

Team showed more life than I thought. Was expecting a letdown tonight and a sunday game. Were it not for terrible game by MacGregor who cost us two goals would have been an easier win.

Should show up vs BC but worry about snoozing vs Lowell if we make it that far.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

no video yet of jackpa on ice after game?
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Another comment - the ENG should have gone to Megan, if I understand the rule book correctly. I believe there is a rule that says that if the puck would have gone into the net but for the white liner that sits along the ice inside the net, a goal will be credited. I certainly could be wrong, but we've seen this before (I think a game against either UNH or Lowell many moons ago). In watching the replay it's funny to see that the MC players all skate away, while Gill just goes and taps it into the net.

Certainly not a big deal, although it would have been Megan's 50th career goal.
              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                $26 x 4,000 = $104,000

$16 x 6,000 = $96,000

Now obviously that does not include concessions etc, but I'm sure they are doing math to try to figure out how to maximize the profit.
                I read on the PC thread how PC has a deal on family season tickets: $150/year for 4 seats! Say what you will about the Friars, but you can't beat that price!
                We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                  why would you replace Buddy Rich with the drum?
                  I'd replace him with Gene Krupa. (I figured since 90% of the people reading this don't know what we're talking about anyway, what the heck?)

Comment

Season tickets at PC for $150/yr for 4 seats? It's becoming more economical for BU fans to buy Providence season tickets for years when we have 2 away games there than it is to buy 4 seats for 2 games at agganis. I like Agganis but tickets really shouldn't cross the $20 mark.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                      On another note... Looking at the players reaction of Parker's announcement, can we agree that the "issue" is not that the players somehow didn't relate to, didn't like, or that somehow Jack had "lost them"?
                      Well, now that we have the benefit of perspective, you're right. But it was funny...I said after the OT game in Maine that "this doesn't look like a team who has internal problems" (or something like that), and then the next weekend they looked dead again. So I think it's just a matter of youth and inconsistency. One thing I'll say that hasn't changed, though. They can't give up 40 shots against BC and win, because BC will score 8 goals. I haven't seen a BU team average this many SOG against in forever. I'm wondering when the philosophy changed from winning by goal prevention to "we can outscore them." Because I see NO improvement in their own end. That play last night looked like two guys playing in their first game together. They just gave away a goal and there were far too many cases where they just seem tentative. And there were two or three other times where they would have given up goals if they were playing a team that knew how to finish. And why do they INSIST on this "possession" thing in their own end? Get it OUT OF THERE!!! If you want to mess around in the offensive zone, that's one thing. But there are still way too many times where they insist on going back to "set up" the breakout and then get trapped. In fact, even the Merrimack announcers said "BU kept going backwards and backwards and then gave up the puck." There was one sequence where they tried to throw it across to the other defenseman from behind the net three times in a row right THROUGH a Merrimack player who was just standing there waiting to intercept it. Somehow, miraculously, it evaded him each time. I still think they look choreographed back there - as if they have to do it the way it was "scripted" instead of REACTING to the situation. If you're blocked, move the puck the OTHER way but just GET IT OUT!!!!! Jeez...I'd rather lose "possession" and get the puck to center ice then hang onto it, get trapped and give up a bad goal. Dump it out, shoot it out, kick it out, I don't care. Live to fight another day. Every rush up ice doesn't have to be picture perfect. Protect your own end and make the opponent go 120 feet. It is SO frustrating to watch!!!!!!!
                      Last edited by chickod; 03-17-2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                        Another comment - the ENG should have gone to Megan, if I understand the rule book correctly. I believe there is a rule that says that if the puck would have gone into the net but for the white liner that sits along the ice inside the net, a goal will be credited. I certainly could be wrong, but we've seen this before (I think a game against either UNH or Lowell many moons ago). In watching the replay it's funny to see that the MC players all skate away, while Gill just goes and taps it into the net.

Certainly not a big deal, although it would have been Megan's 50th career goal.
                        I was wondering about that when I saw that Gill got the goal. On TV they cut away. I didn't even realize it hadn't gone in until Gill tapped it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          Should show up vs BC but worry about snoozing vs Lowell if we make it that far.
                          Um...I think we'll have our hands full with BC. And I don't think they'll be snoozing against Lowell given the way they have handled us this year...( 0 - 3 - 0 ) The problem with a team like Lowell is that it's not a good matchup for us, because of what I just mentioned above. You can't get in shootouts with them so every time we give up a bad goal (see a couple last night) we take ourselves right out of the game. You can make it up against a team like Merrimack...not so against Lowell. You have to play a perfect game, which puts a lot of pressure on a young, inexperienced team. We're better in games where a couple of mistakes don't cost us because we can make up the difference with pure talent. We have some very talented offensive players, but we're not scoring 5 goals against Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                            I agree with you... I just mean that I'm sure these decisions are made more by bean counters than hockey fans.
                            You're right. And that's something I have noticed ever since HAA opened. Even the day we went to "tour" the arena (when it was still being built) so we could see where our seats were, the "staff" in the ticket office (which was more like a marketing/promotion production office) didn't even know what ice was. It was a joke. In all of my dealings with the ticket office I have continuously dealt with "employees" who don't know anything about the game, what a good seat is, or anything else (even to the point where the guy pointed to the goal line on the map and said "these seats are right here on the blue line"). So what do you expect? Bottom line, between ticket prices, parking, terrible access (try taking Storrow Drive to HAA if you aren't there three hours before game time), it's just not worth it, and that's why I only cherry pick games now (and why not? you can get tickets any time you want because you know the place will NEVER be full).

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              I'd replace him with Gene Krupa. (I figured since 90% of the people reading this don't know what we're talking about anyway, what the heck?)
                              Sandy Nelson for me!
                              Originally posted by mookie1995
                              bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                              Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                              Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                                I read on the PC thread how PC has a deal on family season tickets: $150/year for 4 seats! Say what you will about the Friars, but you can't beat that price!
                                The reason why PC hockey tickets are so cheap is because no one wants them.

One longstanding PC season ticket holder switched his two season tickets for the four family season tickets, ended up paying less and getting two more seats. His only issue is trying to find people to give those two extra tickets away to.

Comment

Working...
                                X