X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University season thread 4: Where BC comes to talk hockey

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    You don't think a big part of this is peeps figuring that the second Jerry steps down (tick tick tick tick....) whichever of the two someone hires will be printing up a résumé to send up newton way??

[fairly surmised or not]
    Quinn (who has a diverse resume) was the second choice behind Leaman for PC with similar concerns and a more imminent opening at BU. Cavanaugh couldn't get beyond a phone interview for UMass who got turned down by their 5th choice and were running out of people to interview. I think the career assistant at a top flight program is not a prime candidate for smaller school HC jobs in modern college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
      Quinn (who has a diverse resume) was the second choice behind Leaman for PC with similar concerns and a more imminent opening at BU. Cavanaugh couldn't get beyond a phone interview for UMass who got turned down by their 5th choice and were running out of people to interview. I think the career assistant at a top flight program is not a prime candidate for smaller school HC jobs in modern college hockey.
      Why is that? It's just an outsider's observation, but I'd think that Cavanaugh and Brown would be prime candidates for a HC job. Certainly, York can't do everything. Why wouldn't they be viewed as atractives candidates, contributing to an unprecedented run of success as they have?"
      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
        Quinn (who has a diverse resume) was the second choice behind Leaman for PC with similar concerns and a more imminent opening at BU. Cavanaugh couldn't get beyond a phone interview for UMass who got turned down by their 5th choice and were running out of people to interview.
        Cavanaugh was a finalist for the RPI job when Appert was hired.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
          Coyle plays for the Minnesota Wild. Just sayin'.

I was just helping out ericredax with the name of the other Freshman who left this year.
          It Happened!!!!

Comment

From reading the BC thread it sounds like they have Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr coming in next year. Is it too late to drop down to Division III?
            It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Agganis View Post
              Between getting the job and the press conference Jack and Quinn had 3 conversations, Quinn and Bavis did not speak once. I may be reading too much into that, but when I got a position that I and a colleague both interviewed for, and I still wanted them to remain working with me I called that person as soon as the conversation where I received the offer was over, I think well under 50% chance Bavis stays.

Based on the difficulty the two BC guys have had getting even serious consideration for another job I'm not sure what Bavis' HC options will be.
              I was thinking the same thing. What exactly about Bavis screams that 1) he's a keeper and 2) other D-1 programs are dying to hire him? Given that both Parker and Powers are like 80 years old, was it Bavis' job to keep these kids in line off ice? If so he fell a bit short in that department.

So, if I were Quinn you certainly don't want to trash the current program but at the same time I'd have to think you'd want your own people. Maybe Bavis does a year and then leaves to pursue "other opportunities".

As an aside, after watching the BU-BC tournament game, I'd be surprised if the BC assistants ever get a call about a head coaching job again. Team absolutely came undone without Jerry's calming influence behind the bench. Not good when you get outcoached by a guy old enough to be your grandfather.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                From reading the BC thread it sounds like they have Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr coming in next year. Is it too late to drop down to Division III?
                Mookie had to stop reading there... He was a-scared of getting splashed from the circle jerk that was occurring
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  I was thinking the same thing. What exactly about Bavis screams that 1) he's a keeper and 2) other D-1 programs are dying to hire him? Given that both Parker and Powers are like 80 years old, was it Bavis' job to keep these kids in line off ice? If so he fell a bit short in that department.

So, if I were Quinn you certainly don't want to trash the current program but at the same time I'd have to think you'd want your own people. Maybe Bavis does a year and then leaves to pursue "other opportunities".

As an aside, after watching the BU-BC tournament game, I'd be surprised if the BC assistants ever get a call about a head coaching job again. Team absolutely came undone without Jerry's calming influence behind the bench. Not good when you get outcoached by a guy old enough to be your grandfather.
                  But Greg Brown's a GENIUS, I tell ya!! Just like Steve Cedorchuk
                  Proud WBA - Section 9 Alumnus

Where's your girlfriend, number 3??

Cookie hyphen puss..

Comment

Pretty short sighted to base their candidacy on 30 minutes of hockey. Greg Brown was named assistant coach for the world juniors next year. He is obviously very well regarded in the hockey world. Cav has gotten serious consideration for a few head jobs as well. To say he hasn't is wrong. Just because he didn't get the job or ultimately didn't want it doesn't mean he wasn't considered. If you honestly think UMass thought Micheletto was a better candidate than Cav, I don't know what to tell you. And as mookie pointed out, you have no idea if some of these schools are scared off by the fact the BC job will be opening in a few years.

And who exactly is the circle jerk between about the incoming recruits?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Pretty short sighted to base their candidacy on 30 minutes of hockey. Greg Brown was named assistant coach for the world juniors next year. He is obviously very well regarded in the hockey world. Cav has gotten serious consideration for a few head jobs as well. To say he hasn't is wrong. Just because he didn't get the job or ultimately didn't want it doesn't mean he wasn't considered. If you honestly think UMass thought Micheletto was a better candidate than Cav, I don't know what to tell you. And as mookie pointed out, you have no idea if some of these schools are scared off by the fact the BC job will be opening in a few years.

And who exactly is the circle jerk between about the incoming recruits?
                      As co-head coaches in replacement of York, the returns haven't been great. Home loss to Umass. Getting Nicastro'd by BU in the Garden. Etc. But who can we blame? Is it Cavanaugh's fault? Is it Brown's fault? Both? Neither? Was there confusion between the two because they were both sharing the coaching responsibility? I'd feel a lot more comfortable drawing conclusions if one was in charge obviously.

That being said, the fact that both of them didn't run to each other and say "Timeout?!?" after BU tied it up scares the living daylights out of me. 2 drunk monkeys would have been able to communicate and figure out to take the timeout there Friday night. And yet these two didn't. Frightening.

I am hoping these two aren't comfortable sharing the responsibility in York's absence and that is why things haven't looked so great with them back there running the show. I still think Brown is the early leader in the clubhouse to replace York. I've always felt like Cavanaugh was like a hockey version of Bud Foster. I am glad we have him that is for sure. Hope Friday was a learning experience for everyone.

Lastly, you have to love York for stating he's going to look like Jack Sparrow with an eye patch on this weekend.
                      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by fleabags View Post
                        But Greg Brown's a GENIUS, I tell ya!! Just like Steve Cedorchuk
                        I think many assistants are good at what they do but not necessarily a good HC. Not true in all cases but you look at Madigan, Spaziani in football, etc. Quinn looks very good at BU since he's had experience but maybe BC needs to look objectively and not get too carried away with emotion in the search process. I'm wondering if Ben Eaves could be a candidate in the future since his dad is a coach and is he coaching right now?

Bill Flynn thought York was too young or inexperienced when he considered BC and so he proved himself at Clarkson and BG. Imagine if Flynn gave him that chance and BC would never would have had that bad experience with Cedorchuk.
                        NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
                          I think many assistants are good at what they do but not necessarily a good HC. Not true in all cases but you look at Madigan, Spaziani in football, etc. Quinn looks very good at BU since he's had experience but maybe BC needs to look objectively and not get too carried away with emotion in the search process. I'm wondering if Ben Eaves could be a candidate in the future since his dad is a coach and is he coaching right now?

Bill Flynn thought York was too young or inexperienced when he considered BC and so he proved himself at Clarkson and BG. Imagine if Flynn gave him that chance and BC would never would have had that bad experience with Cedorchuk.
                          I was just messin'. Kind of dumb to make a judgment based on 1 game. Such is the nature of the beast, though. Some of the Terrier faithful will be singing the same tune if Quinn's team comes out of the gates slowly or struggles next year (present company excluded)..

Cookie hyphen puss..

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post

Wait a minute.. York was at Clarkson and BG (and won a national championship) many years before Ceglarski hung them up. He had already "proven himself". Flynn was just stupid in that case..

Cookie hyphen puss..

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                              I am hoping these two aren't comfortable sharing the responsibility in York's absence and that is why things haven't looked so great with them back there running the show. I still think Brown is the early leader in the clubhouse to replace York. I've always felt like Cavanaugh was like a hockey version of Bud Foster. I am glad we have him that is for sure. Hope Friday was a learning experience for everyone.
                              I said on EA that it has to be awkward for them as co-coaches. Either way, we're still talking about a very small sample size here. Brown seems to be a rising star in the coaching field and Cav has had way more interest than someone like Bavis (just an example). We're not talking about tweedle dee and tweedle dumb here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                                Don't follow recruiting too much cause: 1) it's a little creepy, 2) too many can't miss players, miss. But, by all accounts this is York's best recruiting class at BC. What does it mean? Who knows, don't you guys usually beat us in recruiting rankings anyways?

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                That being said, the fact that both of them didn't run to each other and say "Timeout?!?" after BU tied it up scares the living daylights out of me. 2 drunk monkeys would have been able to communicate and figure out to take the timeout there Friday night. And yet these two didn't. Frightening.
                                Don't watch the Friday press conf.

But agree, that was the moment that stood out to me. Just call a TO, let everyone breathe for a second.

The whole "co-coaches" has to be awkward, granted they have their separate responsibilites. Not going to make too much judgement over a couple of games. Not this team was Nicastro'ing everyone with York behind the bench.

Comment

Working...
                                X