X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University season thread 4: Where BC comes to talk hockey

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
    Still seeing it as just as likely that he decided himself earlier in the year that he was done and sought out Quinn and told him what's what. I think you're underestimating how much of a role Parker played in getting the next guy (Quinn) to come here before the announcement was even made.

Also, how convenient with the '4 years late.' As if he immediately went senile after the 08-09 season. Going out on a high note is a good idea and all, but I'm sure he thought he had a good young group to build off of then...

Sorry to sound off on you, but the bitter comments are a tired tale.
    Gimme a break candycanes. I've been calling for Parker to step down since the late 90's. The perfect time for his sake though would have been on the heels of a national championship which is why I kinda doubt this was all orchestrated by Parker himself. That's a bit convenient don't you think?

Regardless, who cares. BU is saying goodbye to a coach who needed to retire and is getting the guy most of us wanted. That's a good day.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      I don't believe this confirms at all that Jack was forced out. Just that this has been on the minds of Parker and Lynch and that over the course of the past year, Quinn was quietly told he'd be the new hire. Since BU is a private, they don't have to do any job posting requirements that a state school would.

Per Twitter, Quinn will remain as assistant with Colorado until their season is over then assume full responsibilities here.
      When did I say he was "forced out?" I said he stayed another year so that it wouldn't LOOK LIKE he was forced out - he said that himself at the press conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
        Aren't assistant's jobs the very type of jobs that ex-players do step right into?
        Everyone that knows Grier knows that he has a deep passion for hockey and for BU.
        ..he's just about to start a (Coaching) job with the Junior Terriers youth hockey.. with a request by Bavis, I believe. Sooner or later, he'll play a role somewhere alongside that bench..
        As for Quinn, great choice.
        :-)
        GO NU HOCKEY
        Always bullish on the future.
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Still seeing it as just as likely that he decided himself earlier in the year that he was done and sought out Quinn and told him what's what. I think you're underestimating how much of a role Parker played in getting the next guy (Quinn) to come here before the announcement was even made.

Also, how convenient with the '4 years late.' As if he immediately went senile after the 08-09 season. Going out on a high note is a good idea and all, but I'm sure he thought he had a good young group to build off of then...

Sorry to sound off on you, but the bitter comments are a tired tale.
          If I were the AD in 2008-09 and my 36 year coach came to me to talk about the future and said his succession plan was an assistant HC that had never been a HC anywhere I would say to him "well, that won't work at a program like this...either that guy gets HC experience or you need to expand your list".

So, the AHC goes out, gets some HC experience (and who knows how much Parker helped him get that job) and is in the wings waiting for the call. Would you bring in a guy for his first college HC position at the end of last year's imbroglio? Forget Jack looking forced out, he is a big boy and could handle most departure scenarios, but sure, make it look as good as possible.

More importantly for the future, it would be a bad idea to start Quinn out in the middle of an investigation etc. If people thought recruits and incumbents were at risk when Parker announced, the whole program could have taken a much larger hit if a new guy, in his first role running a college program is coming in during the most tumultuous time in school history. So, you have to tell Quinn to chill for a year until there is some reduction in noise and dust...then you make the announcement of retirement and just so happen to have the replacement handy.
          I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Wait a minute...Are we seriously discussing this Albie O'Connell thing?

Wasn't he just *the worst* as a player and captain here?
            Go BU!

Comment

Originally posted by smyler3 View Post

I can't comment about his performance as captain, but he was a good player on a bad team (1998-99). My opinion is that circumstances (injuries, departures to pros, recruits that didn't work out) thrust him into a first line role and captaincy, when he might've been better as a 2nd, 3rd line player and an "A". Just one man's opinion.
              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by smyler3 View Post

I'm with you. The only reason why people think Albie was a decent player was because he was on a terrible team, and somebody has to score goals. Don't know how he'd be as a coach as a lot of people are all over Hynes and he wasn't exactly lighting it up here either before he got injured.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  I'm with you. The only reason why people think Albie was a decent player was because he was on a terrible team, and somebody has to score goals. Don't know how he'd be as a coach as a lot of people are all over Hynes and he wasn't exactly lighting it up here either before he got injured.
                  How much a player scores has little to do with future coaching abilities. Very few coaches were stars when they were players.

Comment

If he can convince players like Gaudreau and Gillies to go to NU who couldn't he get to BU? Just don't sign Madigan as the other AC, he'll convince them all to leave.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Gee, how did Ted Williams work out as a manager?
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                        If he can convince players like Gaudreau and Gillies to go to NU who couldn't he get to BU? Just don't sign Madigan as the other AC, he'll convince them all to leave.
                        !!!well said!!!

ps: Albie is /(was) awesome.
                        GO NU HOCKEY
                        Always bullish on the future.
                        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

True that, but Albie never saw a stupid penalty he didn't want to take. Just sayin'.
                          It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                            True that, but Albie never saw a stupid penalty he didn't want to take. Just sayin'.
                            So the guy knows what he's talking about when a kid comes back to the bench after doing likewise
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Also, how convenient with the '4 years late.' As if he immediately went senile after the 08-09 season.
                              Good point. As we all know, he's been senile for a lot longer than that.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                Gee, how did Ted Williams work out as a manager?
                                Or Gretzky
                                #OneKnight

Comment

Working...
                                X