Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    I doubt that Marty is giving much thought to men's hockey coaching succession. Short of a NC, UNH has had a better past 15 years than all but a handful of Div 1 teams, and Umile is relatively young compared o some Div 1 coaches. I think that it would take a few consecutive 2011-2012 seasons to drive Umile to retirement.
    I'm not saying that a change in coaches is on the horizon. As long as Umile is healthy and continues to have success, I agree that he will stick around. What I am saying is that, when the time comes, Marty should look at the Maine situation as instructional. Despite UNH's success compared to 90% of D1 programs, they are not elite when it comes to the resources available, especially compared to BC, et al and the BTHC. Of course, you always say in public that you will shoot for the moon, but the actual search should be more realistic.

Comment

I doubt that Marty is giving much thought to men's hockey coaching succession. Short of a NC, UNH has had a better past 15 years than all but a handful of Div 1 teams, and Umile is relatively young compared o some Div 1 coaches. I think that it would take a few consecutive 2011-2012 seasons to drive Umile to retirement.
      Jerry York, Red Berenson ... anyone else??????

Coach Umile turns 65 years old before the end of THIS year.

Succession planning NEEDS to at least be on Marty Scarano's radar. One thing all three of these guys likely do have going for them is that right now, they all can probably call their own shot on retirement. But three years ago, a fourth (Coach Parker) was just turning 65 years old, and was a year on from a D-1 title. Who among us thought at the time he didn't have his future in his 100% control as to when he would step down?

Things can change quickly. Performance, health, off-ice issues, etc. And with all due respect to Coach Umile, he is a little bit lighter in the trophy case than the other folks mentioned in this post. No one is pushing him out the door, but let's not kid ourselves that there are a host of same-age guys still in positions atop their D-1 programs in this sport. There aren't - and his two elders that do remain will be having statues erected at their alma maters if/when they finally do decide to hang it up.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Everyone is talking about who could potentially replace Umile when he leaves. But if we get a coach out of our two assistants I have a feeling one or both may leave the program. Both Borek and Tortorella have a lot of D1 coaching experience and may decide to move on if they dont think that they have any chance of being a head coach at UNH.

So if we hire a new head coach I think we need to realize we might need to hire a head coach that has available assistants to bring with him. That is a lot of changover for the program. We need to worry about that sort of replacement for Umile when we are looking outside the program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Jerry York, Red Berenson ... anyone else??????

Coach Umile turns 65 years old before the end of THIS year.

Succession planning NEEDS to at least be on Marty Scarano's radar. One thing all three of these guys likely do have going for them is that right now, they all can probably call their own shot on retirement. But three years ago, a fourth (Coach Parker) was just turning 65 years old, and was a year on from a D-1 title. Who among us thought at the time he didn't have his future in his 100% control as to when he would step down?

Things can change quickly. Performance, health, off-ice issues, etc. And with all due respect to Coach Umile, he is a little bit lighter in the trophy case than the other folks mentioned in this post. No one is pushing him out the door, but let's not kid ourselves that there are a host of same-age guys still in positions atop their D-1 programs in this sport. There aren't - and his two elders that do remain will be having statues erected at their alma maters if/when they finally do decide to hang it up.
          What?! You do not think that Umile will get a statue at the entrance to the Whitt? You and Greg are right, of course; I just do not think that hockey coaching succession is on Marty's radar at this time.

Comment

What?! You do not think that Umile will get a statue at the entrance to the Whitt? You and Greg are right, of course; I just do not think that hockey coaching succession is on Marty's radar at this time.
            Well, it should be, at least to some degree.

As far as Coach Umile's legacy, perhaps they should rename the HE Regular Season championship trophy after him. Seriously. Is there anything more fitting? He's won that more than even you-know-who over at The Heights, and may be tied with Coach Parker during their shared time in the league.

Comment

This is not a big problem of course. Marty has a lot more on his plate than thinking about hockey coach succession plans that may not happen for another five years or more. But he should file away the Maine experience in his memory bank. And I think Chuck is right that Umile is the third oldest coach in D1 right now. Still got a lot of energy though.

Comment

Mike Ayers is a candidate to replace Cav at BC. If that happens and he does well, could be your next head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Mike Ayers is a candidate to replace Cav at BC. If that happens and he does well, could be your next head coach.
                  Begs the questions as to why he wasn't consider a candidate at UNH two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                    Begs the questions as to why he wasn't consider a candidate at UNH two years ago.
                    I believe the UNH job opened up just a couple weeks after Ayers had signed on with the USNTDP. Interesting he is being considered for the BC job, that could set up nicely for a Umile replacement as JD mentioned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saetia22 View Post
                      I believe the UNH job opened up just a couple weeks after Ayers had signed on with the USNTDP. Interesting he is being considered for the BC job, that could set up nicely for a Umile replacement as JD mentioned.
                      Just saw on twitter that Ayers has been hired by BC. Account is @russbites. It was a RT that showed up on my feed.
                      National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                      Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                      Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
                      two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
                      b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

if an up and coming asst with no college experience is good enough for BC, no reason it shouldn't be good enough for UNH when the time comes.

Comment

Tale of two senior managers whose work force consists of 18-24 year olds. The first trusts kids. For players, he provides them encouragement to trust their own abilities and surprisingly, the kids want to play for him. He recognizes the need for contemporary mentorship, and consistently hires youngsters with little or no NCAA experience to mentor. Mike Cavanagh had no experience, Scott Paluch had no experience, Greg Brown had no experience, and now Ayers has no experience.

The other senior manager does not trust kids. He wants them to do only what he says, follow instructions, and success comes from hard work and following his instructions and systems. In turn, the solution to problems is to make his message louder. Thus, he surrounds himself with his own contemporaries.

Two of these things are not like the other

Hired

*****http://unhwildcats.com/media/hockeym/coachesheadshots/Tcms_umile-dick.jpg?max_width=150&max_height=200******

*****http://unhwildcats.com/media/hockeym/coachesheadshots/borek-scott.jpg?max_width=150&max_height=200******

*****http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/200/FI/FICFAMZZZCYXBFI.20121023174205.jpg******

*****http://unhwildcats.com/sports/mice/coaches/Jim_Tortorella.jpg?max_width=150&max_height=200******

*****http://unhwildcats.com/media/hockeym/staff/churchard.jpg?max_width=150&max_height=200******

Not Hired

*****http://cdn2.sportngin.com/attachments/text_block/2122/2000/Ayers_Mike_large.jpg******

*****http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uk-ZlyHLQ8g/TkxdrqZ4vfI/AAAAAAAAITQ/EAkbFZcqgjI/s320/A.jpg******
                          Last edited by NCAA watcher; 05-28-2013, 02:05 PM.
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

Are you saying he needs to lose some hair before UNH would consider him?
                            Originally posted by dicaslover
                            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Great post, Watcher. Maybe Monty will be the next hire - seems to fit a certain pattern.

Comment

Quote from NCAA Watcher:
                                "Tale of two senior managers whose work force consists of 18-24 year olds. The first trusts kids. For players, he provides them encouragement to trust their own abilities and surprisingly, the kids want to play for him. He recognizes the need for contemporary mentorship, and consistently hires youngsters with little or no NCAA experience to mentor. Mike Cavanagh had no experience, Scott Paluch had no experience, Greg Brown had no experience, and now Ayers has no experience.

The other senior manager does not trust kids. He wants them to do only what he says, follow instructions, and success comes from hard work and following his instructions and systems. In turn, the solution to problems is to make his message louder. Thus, he surrounds himself with his own contemporaries.

Two of these things are not like the other"

This is unbelievable. NCAA Watcher has captured the ethos surrounding the UNH men's ice hockey staff, led by the head coach, in as few a words as possible. One would almost think he has played for UNH and experienced the atmosphere surrounding the .... "if your one of my old buddies I'll hire you as an assistant because I do not want to be second guessed." I applaud Watchers observation and comment.

Comment

Working...
                                X