UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

It is not a sports logo change. The most it has to do with hockey is what is being written here.

Did anyone on this thread ever take a marketing course?
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Thanks Darius for stating the obvious....it has nothing to do with the sports logo....I just thought that the Cat's face logo was better then what the Know-it-alls in NY had proposed! And Greg, the Friends shut down the booth because they cannot compete with what is available online for price and variety. Heck, Dan gave up the Hockey East website so there's a lot more to it....

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        I still think whatever modest uptick of dollars from a sports logo change would beat laying out not "tens of thousands" as I'd speculated earlier, but approx. $100K instead for the alleged "much-needed" university logo redesign.

http://www.unionleader.com/apps/pbcs...130519181&NL=1

"The president's Cabinet identified this project as overdue and crucial (really???) to not only recruiting efforts both in and out of the state but to the success of the next comprehensive campaign," university spokeswoman Erika Mantz said.

"We need to compete better nationally and internationally for students, and part of that is marketing," she said.

Mantz said the design firm Chermayeff & Geismar & Haviv, New York, is handling the redesign. The firm has "created identities for many institutions of higher education, including New York University, Middlebury College and Cornell University," she said.

Mantz said the school is looking to redesign the logo that features Thompson Hall. She said the tower "does not represent an institution with three campuses and many online offerings. It was created for the last comprehensive campaign and was not intended to be the university brand."

She said the university seal will undergo a redrawing to make it easier to produce, but it will not change. The school's athletic logo, featuring a wildcat, the school's mascot, will not change.

Mantz said the redesign is expected to cost between $91,400 and $108,200. She said the cost includes the development of the new logo, the redrawing of the seal and guidelines specifying how the marks can be used.

Not quite sure I follow the logic there fron start to finish, but I'm not sure "logic" and the top UNH admins live in the same universe anyway. Based on these comments, I'm expecting no more tower, but a four-slice pie chart which features a gavel and a laptop in two of the "slices". Good luck with that, Erika ...
        The quote from her about creating identities for NYU, Middlebury and Cornell is ridiculous. I dare say those schools earned their credibility and reputation well before they instituted a new logo. Marketing a university is not about a logo. Logos are important for Ralph Lauren polos and Nike sneakers. Not academic institutions.

Comment

The UNH Director of public relations indicates in today's Foster's that the response has been mainly positive ...
          How can that be ??? .... are any of the negative views getting through to the "central administration."

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
            The UNH Director of public relations indicates in today's Foster's that the response has been mainly positive ...
            How can that be ??? .... are any of the negative views getting through to the "central administration."
            Public Relations is just a glorified offshoot of Marketing. Truth is optional, and *creativity* (i.e. "spin", "promotion", "buzz", "hot") trumps all. Style over substance. And yes, Darius ... while I did not major in marketing, I did take a course in it 30+ years ago. Not that it makes a difference, though. Most of us are qualified from our life experiences to detect BS when we hear (or read or see) it.

Anyway, for anyone who hasn't seen what $100,000 will buy you these days logo-wise, check out the following link to the Union-Leader website, which also gifts us with some independent feedback from marketing folks. And to be fair, it doesn't seem they are too impressed either ...

http://www.unionleader.com/apps/pbcs...130529873&NL=1

Turns out I wasn't too far off with my earlier speculation as to what they might look like. Two of them are (presumably intentionally) shaped like an old-style computer mouse, and the fourth is a 4-paneled shield that the "experts" concede is too busy and/or undecipherable. Keep up the good work, Erika ...

I can't believe we've been reduced to debating a new school logo ... ugh ...
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

In an attempt (likely in vain ) to get the discussion back to hockey, here's a short video I found on the UMaine thread:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=113895

Perhaps a clue or two in there as to why UNH teams aren't known for their late season success ...

"Work beats talent unless talent works" ... Mike Babcock 12/24/05
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                Thanks Darius for stating the obvious....it has nothing to do with the sports logo....I just thought that the Cat's face logo was better then what the Know-it-alls in NY had proposed! And Greg, the Friends shut down the booth because they cannot compete with what is available online for price and variety. Heck, Dan gave up the Hockey East website so there's a lot more to it....
                No doubt internet sales have had some effect but I was told that the Friend's booth closed mainly because they could no longer afford the 20% usuary fee that the arena imposed on them. This is ancient history now but, before the Whit opened, the contract that the management company (forget their name now) had with the arena vendors required them to pay 20% of their gross income for the right to set up shop at the Whit. This fee also applied to the Friends of UNH Hockey even though it was a non-profit with the express purpose of plowing all revenues back into the hockey program. Some of us on the board at the time argued that requiring the Friends to pay was ludicrous given their mission. If it was ludicrous then, it is even more ludicrous now when every dollar earmarked to the program is important. Of course, the argument made at the time fell on deaf ears. For more than 15 years the Friends were able to absorb the fee which continued to be applied even after the University took over management of the Whit. However, as the perception of the team changed, the revenues for the booth dropped to the point that the 20% fee became such a big obstacle that it didn't make sense anymore to continue. The outcome of this decision is really disappointing. The Hardenbrooks worked very hard to make the displaying of the UNH Hockey logo among the fans a necessity. Too bad that the University didn't recognize this.

Comment

From the Union Leader article: "...the current logo is very horizontal - Thompson Hall on the left with the name of the university stretching far off to the right. That doesn't work in social media, where Facebook and Twitter profile pictures tend to be square..."

My heart wants the current T_Hall logo to remain, but my head understands the importance of the above and having a logo that encompasses more than just Durham. Watching the entire video presentation is important to understanding what they are trying to accomplish.
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                    From the Union Leader article: "...the current logo is very horizontal - Thompson Hall on the left with the name of the university stretching far off to the right. That doesn't work in social media, where Facebook and Twitter profile pictures tend to be square..."

My heart wants the current T_Hall logo to remain, but my head understands the importance of the above and having a logo that encompasses more than just Durham. Watching the entire video presentation is important to understanding what they are trying to accomplish.
                    Definitely needed to spend 100 g's on something Kindergartners could have done for milk and cookies...

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                      No doubt internet sales have had some effect but I was told that the Friend's booth closed mainly because they could no longer afford the 20% usuary fee that the arena imposed on them. This is ancient history now but, before the Whit opened, the contract that the management company (forget their name now) had with the arena vendors required them to pay 20% of their gross income for the right to set up shop at the Whit. This fee also applied to the Friends of UNH Hockey even though it was a non-profit with the express purpose of plowing all revenues back into the hockey program. Some of us on the board at the time argued that requiring the Friends to pay was ludicrous given their mission. If it was ludicrous then, it is even more ludicrous now when every dollar earmarked to the program is important. Of course, the argument made at the time fell on deaf ears. For more than 15 years the Friends were able to absorb the fee which continued to be applied even after the University took over management of the Whit. However, as the perception of the team changed, the revenues for the booth dropped to the point that the 20% fee became such a big obstacle that it didn't make sense anymore to continue. The outcome of this decision is really disappointing. The Hardenbrooks worked very hard to make the displaying of the UNH Hockey logo among the fans a necessity. Too bad that the University didn't recognize this.
                      I thought the University was taking over merchandise sales and was moving towards building a store of some sort at the Whitt?

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                        I thought the University was taking over merchandise sales and was moving towards building a store of some sort at the Whitt?
                        Haven't heard that. The Friends of UNH Hockey has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for the hockey team over the last 40 years. The concession booth revenues were a major part of this, at least during the first 10+ years of the Whit. But if what you say is true, to me it is just another example of the Balkaninzation of the University. Admittedly I am no insider, but from what I have seen over the years, there are all these little fiefdoms that control their own little expense and revenue centers and attempt to hold onto them. There never seems to be any coordinated effort to promote all aspects of the University, the idea that we're all in this together. I have often wondered if this type of thing goes on at other schools. I suppose it is just the essence of bureaucracy, but it is very disappointing.

Comment

It is going to be a long off-season!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            ...there are all these little fiefdoms that control their own little expense and revenue centers and attempt to hold onto them. There never seems to be any coordinated effort to promote all aspects of the University, the idea that we're all in this together.
                            Welcome to the business side of Higher Education

Comment

On a lighter side watched wilks Scranton complete a miraculous comeback winning last 4 games against #1 providence bruins..key players for wilks were Trevor Smith who got ot winner in game six and Paul Thompson.. Great to watch them play . Trevor leading in play off scoring Paul not far behind

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                                On a lighter side watched wilks Scranton complete a miraculous comeback winning last 4 games against #1 providence bruins..key players for wilks were Trevor Smith who got ot winner in game six and Paul Thompson.. Great to watch them play . Trevor leading in play off scoring Paul not far behind
                                I have to think that Providence losing Krug and Bartkowski to the big club didn't help their chances.

Comment

Working...
                                X