UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

Of course, the only real difference between 8 and 9 is which jersey I put on next Friday.
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      I stand corrected. Esoteric cogitation can be onerous
      Sloppy language results from sloppy thinking. - George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
        Sloppy language results from sloppy thinking. - George Orwell
        I like this one

Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious.
        George Orwell

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...dEAuU5xAyF0.99
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
          Actually, looks like we fell to 9th in practical terms.

SCSU and somebody else moved ahead while NoDak was falling.
          Looks like we're in so that really is all that matters, right

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...0/-1/FOSSPORTS

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
            Actually, looks like we fell to 9th in practical terms.

SCSU and somebody else moved ahead while NoDak was falling.
            Of course, the irony is that BU or PC probably needs to win the tournament at the Garden this weekend to make the NCAAs, while UNH coasts into Manch based on their superb OOC record at the beginning of the season.

I always have thought that our next trip to the FF will come at the most unexpected time; go Cats and pull off a couple of upsets next weekend.

Comment

Fot those of you that care the Hockey East portion of next year's schedule is available on the league website...
              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Of course, the irony is that BU or PC probably needs to win the tournament at the Garden this weekend to make the NCAAs, while UNH coasts into Manch based on their superb OOC record at the beginning of the season.
                Yes, but we (BU) didn't deserve to get in based on our inconsistent performance in the middle of the season. I, for one, am glad that the regular season actually means something. We all know that the whole post-season tournament idea was conceived as another way to make money. In basketball, they justified it by trying to say that it's important for the "hot" team to make the tournament, which just negates the regular season even more.

I hope you guys can put the quarterfinals behind you and get revved up. I don't sense a lot of enthusiasm over here. As disappointing as it has been the last couple of weeks, at least you're still playing. The "entire body of work," as they say, was what got you there so you should feel good about your chances. Anything can happen. Providence was a tough team to play against - as Lowell was for BU. A bad matchup - having a team used to playing wide-open play tentative because you know that one mistake can cost you the game. In the NCAAs, there are few teams that play that way because the talent level is higher and it's impossible to win with a "goal prevention" mentality (in other words, to try to win 1-0 like Lowell and Providence do). UNH is the "forgotten" Hockey East team with all the attention on Lowell and BC so perhaps with the expectations lowered you can go out and relax and fly under the radar.

And by the way, now we know how you felt in 2009. Tonight we lost by a goal when the puck got knocked into our own net by a sliding defenseman after the goalie had made the initial save. To get that close with an overachieving team (coming back to beat BC for our fifth win in a row and to keep Parker's career going) and lose that way was devastating.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  Yes, but we (BU) didn't deserve to get in based on our inconsistent performance in the middle of the season. I, for one, am glad that the regular season actually means something. We all know that the whole post-season tournament idea was conceived as another way to make money. In basketball, they justified it by trying to say that it's important for the "hot" team to make the tournament, which just negates the regular season even more.

I hope you guys can put the quarterfinals behind you and get revved up. I don't sense a lot of enthusiasm over here. As disappointing as it has been the last couple of weeks, at least you're still playing. The "entire body of work," as they say, was what got you there so you should feel good about your chances. Anything can happen. Providence was a tough team to play against - as Lowell was for BU. A bad matchup - having a team used to playing wide-open play tentative because you know that one mistake can cost you the game. In the NCAAs, there are few teams that play that way because the talent level is higher and it's impossible to win with a "goal prevention" mentality (in other words, to try to win 1-0 like Lowell and Providence do). UNH is the "forgotten" Hockey East team with all the attention on Lowell and BC so perhaps with the expectations lowered you can go out and relax and fly under the radar.

And by the way, now we know how you felt in 2009. Tonight we lost by a goal when the puck got knocked into our own net by a sliding defenseman after the goalie had made the initial save. To get that close with an overachieving team (coming back to beat BC for our fifth win in a row and to keep Parker's career going) and lose that way was devastating.

Good luck!
                  Thanks, Chickod. I should have noted that our regular season sweep of UML was also instrumental in keeping UNH so high in the PRW, in a less than 20 win season. Will be interesting to see if the Wolverines complete their most improbable comeback today to make the NCAAs for a continuation of their historic post-season run. And, would be a chance to see them along with the River Hawks and Badgers in Manch next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by snively65 View Post

i always have thought that our next trip to the ff will come at the most unexpected time; go cats and pull off a couple of upsets next weekend.
                    ditto

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

I always have thought that our next trip to the FF will come at the most unexpected time; go Cats and pull off a couple of upsets next weekend.
                      I tend to agree: Perhaps something like .... Michigan comes out of nowhere beats Notre Dame .... Minnesota State gets sent to Manchester and UNH wins .... setting up a Lowell UNH final .... a combination of "second-life" motivation and a Lowell stumble .... and off we go to the Pittsburgh FF where as we have learned the hard way .... "anything can happen"

During my graduate work in Pittsburgh the famed baseball announcer for the Pirates was Bob Prince. After games in which the Pirates would come from behind he would say ... "We had em all the way." Of course having Clemente in the outfield helped ....

After all these years I hate to even type the above ....

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post

Good luck!
                        I always saw '09 as our slight pay back for Ryan Whittney scoring our GWG for the '03 Hockey East Championship.
                        UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Will be interesting to see if the Wolverines complete their most improbable comeback today to make the NCAAs for a continuation of their historic post-season run. And, would be a chance to see them along with the River Hawks and Badgers in Manch next weekend.
                          Hi Snive65 -- from your alter ego

As you can see, the latest (near infallible) Bracketology has it UNH-Minnesota State if Michigan wins and UNH-Denver if Notre Dame wins. No Wolverines in Manchester either way.

More specifically:

IF MICHIGAN WINS:

Northeast Regional (Manchester, N.H.):
                          14 Wisconsin vs. 3 Massachusetts-Lowell
                          11 Minnesota State vs. 7 New Hampshire

IF NOTRE DAME WINS:

9 Denver vs. 7 New Hampshire

Comment

Originally posted by snively View Post
                            ... No Wolverines in Manchester either way...
                            In this case, as with UNH, the numbers are irrelevant. Michigan is the host school in Grand Rapids.
                            Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by snively View Post
                              Hi Snive65 -- from your alter ego

As you can see, the latest (near infallible) Bracketology has it UNH-Minnesota State if Michigan wins and UNH-Denver if Notre Dame wins. No Wolverines in Manchester either way.

More specifically:

IF MICHIGAN WINS:

11 Minnesota State vs. 7 New Hampshire

IF NOTRE DAME WINS:

9 Denver vs. 7 New Hampshire
                              Hey, Snive, good to see you on the Board again during late-season and post-season intrique. My bro says hello to you. Yeah, I posted that speculation not having looked at the bracketology closely on my iPhone, and of course Aerman also noted the obvious that Michigan must host in Grand Rapids if they have the chance. Just as well, as I would not want to see our Cats face the hot Wolverines anytime before the Frozen Four if indeed that opportunity arises, and still remember our last post-season lickings by the Wolverines at Manch in 2007 and the Garden in 1998. Of course, we have a post-season score or two(?) to settle with DU also. Still unbelievable to me that we have the 7th seed locked up; now if we could only play four games like we played in all three regular season games against Lowell, which in large part got us where we are.

Comment

C'mon guys, we're in the NCAA's for Christ sake. A little enthusiasm! Do you think the fans of Gonzaga are as bitter as you? They always seem to make the nationals and then get booted too....buck up people!

Comment

Working...
                                X