Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
    Or you could just be a fan and cheer on your team. If that's too hard maybe it's time to get a new team. I've been to almost every game in the last 10+ seasons and I have seen a lot of wins and more than my fair share of heart breaking losses, but I don't whine and complain. These boys play their hearts out. They aren't coming into these games saying lets screw the fans and ger their hopes up just to crush them the next day. Try cheering on your team instead of ripping them apart.
    Thank you. I'm glad someone had the sack to say that.

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
      Thank you. I'm glad someone had the sack to say that.
      Hmm... she is just an acquaintance for me so I don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if she had the "sack" to say that...
      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Or you could just be a fan and cheer on your team. If that's too hard maybe it's time to get a new team. I've been to almost every game in the last 10+ seasons and I have seen a lot of wins and more than my fair share of heart breaking losses, but I don't whine and complain. These boys play their hearts out. They aren't coming into these games saying lets screw the fans and ger their hopes up just to crush them the next day. Try cheering on your team instead of ripping them apart.
        I applaud your loyalty and think that is terrific. My only thought is if you pay amongst the highest prices for season tickets for an eastern program shouldn't you expect comparable results? There is a reason attendance is slipping and it is not just the economy. I also don't believe in the "I tried " mentality. Maybe they can give out participation trophies at the annual banquet to make the players feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
          I applaud your loyalty and think that is terrific. My only thought is if you pay amongst the highest prices for season tickets for an eastern program shouldn't you expect comparable results? There is a reason attendance is slipping and it is not just the economy. I also don't believe in the "I tried " mentality. Maybe they can give out participation trophies at the annual banquet to make the players feel better.
          I'm not talking about seeing things only through blue and white glasses because trust me I don't. We have good seasons and we have terrible seasons. But I do not come on here whining about driving to a regional and having to pay for a ticket. I do not tell people that my team is going to lose before we even play the game. I am also pretty sure I did not say anything about an I tried mentality. I said that these boys come out every weekend and work hard. I would love to see anyone one here do what they do. It is really easy to sit in the stands and say if you had just angled your body this way the puck would have gone in the net blah blah blah... I just can't take the majority (not all!) of the UNH fans right now. Seriously if you NEVER believe in your team why the heck are you a fan?! And I choose to go to every game I can which happens to be about 95% of the season. That is my choice, no one needs to spend the amount that I do every year. I just don't understand why if it is your team the one you CHOOSE to follow (because no one makes us) why bash them week after week? I for one was there last weekend cheering my heart out for my team who put fourth a very good effort and I sure as heck will be in Manchester yelling just as loud for them. The team does not need the negativity, they need people to believe! (I am not yelling at you scoreboard )
          UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by jb View Post
            hmm... She is just an acquaintance for me so i don't know for sure, but i would be surprised if she had the "sack" to say that...
            ha!!!
            UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

I admire the passion and dedication you and the other hosers bring to the rink Darcy. Your commitment, both in time attending home and away games and the money that must cost you is commendable.

I also have seen alot of games over the years. UNH has given me some of the most remarkable, exciting moments I've seen in sports. The Manchester Miracle, Tyson Teplitsky's 2003 HE championship game winner against BU (thanks Whitney ), beating Cornell in Buffalo...all great memories. But as far as "playing their hearts out", there are as many games I recall where UNH came out and looked completely like a team that had zero interest in being on the ice. That's a long list that I won't go through. I think I can still be a fan and call it like I see it. I'm not disrespecting you, but I think this program has some inherent flaws that are becoming more glaring over time. I hope someday UNH will reach the promised land, I mean it eventually happened for the Sox, but my gut says it's not this year. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Seriously if you NEVER believe in your team why the heck are you a fan?! And I choose to go to every game I can which happens to be about 95% of the season. That is my choice, no one needs to spend the amount that I do every year. I just don't understand why if it is your team the one you CHOOSE to follow (because no one makes us) why bash them week after week? I for one was there last weekend cheering my heart out for my team who put fourth a very good effort and I sure as heck will be in Manchester yelling just as loud for them. The team does not need the negativity, they need people to believe!
                I think the belief has to begin with the players themselves, doesn't it? And there are too many times (especially at this time of the season) when it seems they just don't have that belief. Is that down to the players OR maybe to their coach(es)? Fans can yell and scream all they want, but we can't make someone go to the front of the net, battle for a loose puck in the corner, hold the attacking blue line, take the body, etc. if the player doesn't want to OR is not told to do so.

There are a lot of reasons we become "fans" of a team or program, or whatever. But just because you're a fan doesn't mean you can't step back objectively and assess things that aren't working, and then say something about it. Even though I've "seen this movie" a few times before, I'm a hopeless optimist, and I want to be around when UNH finally figures this all out. Comments we make on here, I see as nothing more than either (1) venting or (2) free advice to the program.

I agree though, complaining about ticket prices and travel costs is silly. We all make choices, and no one is forcing anyone to spend their money on this. It's a fun hobby or pastime - a temporary diversion from real life. If it's not fun anymore, there's no reason to be bitter about it - just find something else to enjoy.
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I just don't understand why if it is your team the one you CHOOSE to follow (because no one makes us) why bash them week after week?
                  Because this is New England...champion of the left-wing "I want to rule the world and create a utopia" mentality. Didn't you realize that the know-it-alls have the right to criticize because they are smart and the rest of us are morons? If only everyone would do what they tell us, the world would be perfect! When I have complained about the BU fans sitting on their hands instead of cheering, I understand it's because they would rather sit there and criticize instead of ENJOYING the game and ENCOURAGING their team. This goes against their "I have to find fault with everything and propagate the negativity" philosophy. It's beneath them to actually stick out their necks, because they could never admit if they were wrong. (and I'm dead serious)

just find something else to enjoy
                  People like that don't "enjoy" it - that's the point. They only want to criticize it. As you said, we can come on here and make comments because typically we're discussing, or venting. But at the game I scream and yell and cheer while many around me just sit there or think there is something wrong with me. They are miserable and are only "happy" when they can find fault with someone or something.
                  Last edited by chickod; 03-20-2013, 11:24 AM.

Comment

From a BU perspective, I gotta side with the people who are expecting results. Just wanting to see a good game or the players try isn't enough. For free tuition, they ought to be trying even if Daffy Duck is the coach. That's not the point. The point is at some point for your support you deserve results. Not after one or two or even three subpar seasons but when it starts stretching over decades there has to be some accountability. The only way to hold a school accountable if they're not going to do it themselves is to either complain or vote with your feet. Umile isn't working for his supper, he's a very well paid public employee. He needs to earn that salary or the fans deserve the right to demand change. Its not like the UNH program is AIC or something. Get results or get lost is my take. I feel for the fans up there.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      I think the belief has to begin with the players themselves, doesn't it? And there are too many times (especially at this time of the season) when it seems they just don't have that belief. Is that down to the players OR maybe to their coach(es)? Fans can yell and scream all they want, but we can't make someone go to the front of the net, battle for a loose puck in the corner, hold the attacking blue line, take the body, etc. if the player doesn't want to OR is not told to do so.

There are a lot of reasons we become "fans" of a team or program, or whatever. But just because you're a fan doesn't mean you can't step back objectively and assess things that aren't working, and then say something about it. Even though I've "seen this movie" a few times before, I'm a hopeless optimist, and I want to be around when UNH finally figures this all out. Comments we make on here, I see as nothing more than either (1) venting or (2) free advice to the program.

I agree though, complaining about ticket prices and travel costs is silly. We all make choices, and no one is forcing anyone to spend their money on this. It's a fun hobby or pastime - a temporary diversion from real life. If it's not fun anymore, there's no reason to be bitter about it - just find something else to enjoy.
                      I understand being objective and discussing the game. Trust me I do not look through just blue and white glasses. I too get frustrated at times but I have a problem with people immediately saying we are going to lose a game before it's played (why the heck even play it then) and complaining about ticket prices or tell people not to go to games or never post anything but complaining gripey posts. I can guarantee there is no one on the team or coaching the team saying lets screw over our fans and that just seems to be a lot of people's attitudes to me anyway.
                      UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        From a BU perspective, I gotta side with the people who are expecting results. Just wanting to see a good game or the players try isn't enough. For free tuition, they ought to be trying even if Daffy Duck is the coach. That's not the point. The point is at some point for your support you deserve results. Not after one or two or even three subpar seasons but when it starts stretching over decades there has to be some accountability. The only way to hold a school accountable if they're not going to do it themselves is to either complain or vote with your feet. Umile isn't working for his supper, he's a very well paid public employee. He needs to earn that salary or the fans deserve the right to demand change. Its not like the UNH program is AIC or something. Get results or get lost is my take. I feel for the fans up there.
                        It's hard for me to disagree with anything you say here except maybe the whining part. I'm of the opinion that whining is distasteful. Furthermore, it won't work if your goal is to force a coaching change. As others have said, Umile will probably go when he chooses to go. I think we'll know when his time is close when he begins grooming a successor. probably a former player who bleeds blue. Right now there is no one on the bench that's being groomed.
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          From a BU perspective, I gotta side with the people who are expecting results. Just wanting to see a good game or the players try isn't enough. For free tuition, they ought to be trying even if Daffy Duck is the coach. That's not the point. The point is at some point for your support you deserve results. Not after one or two or even three subpar seasons but when it starts stretching over decades there has to be some accountability. The only way to hold a school accountable if they're not going to do it themselves is to either complain or vote with your feet. Tiimmay isn't working for his supper, he's a very well paid public employee. He needs to earn that salary or the fans deserve the right to demand change. Its not like the Maine program is AIC or something. Get results or get lost is my take. I feel for the fans up there.
                          Right on bubba, speaking from experience.
                          Last edited by all bear; 03-20-2013, 06:18 PM.
                          sure why not

Comment

Well, it's been over 20 years for me (until this last season, that is). We know the players (usually) play hard but, over the years, when the pressure is on their collars get awfully tight. There's ONE commonality for all those players and all those teams - he sometimes wears a turtleneck. This isn't youth sports, I think the fans have every right to criticize and I think they should. If everyone just renewed their season tickets and "shut up and cheered" they'd have no motivation to try and get better, maybe me a little daring.
                            Are you guys brothers?

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                              Hmm... she is just an acquaintance for me so I don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if she had the "sack" to say that...
                              figure of speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned Braden View Post
                                Well, it's been over 20 years for me (until this last season, that is). We know the players (usually) play hard but, over the years, when the pressure is on their collars get awfully tight. There's ONE commonality for all those players and all those teams - he sometimes wears a turtleneck. This isn't youth sports, I think the fans have every right to criticize and I think they should. If everyone just renewed their season tickets and "shut up and cheered" they'd have no motivation to try and get better, maybe me a little daring.
                                i said don't rip them apart and don't tell other people not to go to games. No one is making people renew season tickets and I didn't say shut up and cheer I said cheer for your team. Why be a so called fan if all you do is rip them apart (not meaning you just generalizing)
                                UNH

Comment

Working...
                                X