UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

I think this will be the year that UNH--simply because the attention really is off them--will shine. I do believe that Manchester will trump the other three Regional sites for attendance, no matter who those other teams happen to be.
    Chris V
    Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

• Originally posted by zoofer View Post
      C'mon guys, we're in the NCAA's for Christ sake. A little enthusiasm! Do you think the fans of Gonzaga are as bitter as you? They always seem to make the nationals and then get booted too....buck up people!
      'Cats can beat any team in the tournament. I always feel they can win and root for them every time they step on the ice. They will have had a couple of weeks to reflect and prepare. Im excited about the regionals. People seem to forget the the games from the first half count just as much as the last 13. They have earned their spot.

Comment

• 7-1-1 against the tournament field suggests they can. I am far from optimisitic but will be cheering and having a good time. Looking for a good atmosphere with the Lowell fans, they gave a great showing at the Garden this weekend.

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
        'Cats can beat any team in the tournament.

Comment

'Cats can beat any team in the tournament. I always feel they can win and root for them every time they step on the ice. They will have had a couple of weeks to reflect and prepare. Im excited about the regionals. People seem to forget the the games from the first half count just as much as the last 13. They have earned their spot.
          First, by definition, any team in the tournament can beat any other team in the tournament. That's why they are invited, and Alabama Huntsville isn't.

Not to p--- on the parade, but I frankly don't see the necessary components of a team that's going to progress all that far. And I've been following UNH for 40 years.

Where is the impossible-to-stop offensive threat? Where's the Jason Krog or Darren Haydar? Where's the Ralph Cox? Where's the Clark-Hislop-Cox line, or the team that scored 247 goals in a single season? Where's the Rod Langway on defense?

The penalty killing is great (except when it killed us last game), but where is the massive power play threat? And I won't even get into the record of coaching quality in Big Games.

It's also true, by definition, that the "the games from the first half count as much as the last 13". So what? We're a #7 seed who has won exactly 3 of its last 13 games! Are you telling me that it doesn't really matter that Michigan is on fire and clicking right now because they were weak in October?

No-one will be more thrilled than I if these guys do manage to put in a run. But there are 15 other excellent teams who are also "preparing and reflecting", and also had to be pretty d-nd good to get this far.

Fingers crossed that I'm dead wrong...

Comment

• Originally posted by smitre View Post
            7-1-1 against the tournament field suggests they can. I am far from optimisitic but will be cheering and having a good time. Looking for a good atmosphere with the Lowell fans, they gave a great showing at the Garden this weekend.
            I hope that UNH has a dedicated student section so they can make some noise. Hasn't seemed to be the case in past regionals in Manchester. Back in the day, UNH would have sections for students when they made it to the Garden. The place rocked. Would be disappointed if Lowell made the place their "home". Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by snively View Post
              Not to p--- on the parade, but I frankly don't see the necessary components of a team that's going to progress all that far. And I've been following UNH for 40 years.

Where is the impossible-to-stop offensive threat? Where's the Jason Krog or Darren Haydar? Where's the Ralph Cox? Where's the Clark-Hislop-Cox line, or the team that scored 247 goals in a single season? Where's the Rod Langway on defense?

The penalty killing is great (except when it killed us last game), but where is the massive power play threat? And I won't even get into the record of coaching quality in Big Games.

It's also true, by definition, that the "the games from the first half count as much as the last 13". So what? We're a #7 seed who has won exactly 3 of its last 13 games! Are you telling me that it doesn't really matter that Michigan is on fire and clicking right now because they were weak in October?

No-one will be more thrilled than I if these guys do manage to put in a run. But there are 15 other excellent teams who are also "preparing and reflecting", and also had to be pretty d-nd good to get this far.

Fingers crossed that I'm dead wrong...
              I think this pretty much sums up my thoughts on the UNH outlook for next weekend. God knows I was watching very carefully down the stretch for signs this team had the intangibles that could make them a factor in the postseason. Unfortunately, not many of those signs have been on display, going back to January.

But after a year out of the tourney, at this point I'm just glad they're getting to play in the NCAA's, since it will benefit the underclassmen for whom this will be a first-time experience - hopefully to be built further upon later in their careers. Any wins along the way will be a happy bonus.

It's disappointing the result of the recent downturn in the program has been these lowered expectations, but as someone else said earlier, without the pressure of those high expectations, maybe we'll see a loose yet focused UNH squad make some hay next weekend? Or it could be the same old, same old?

By this time next week, we'll either be ecstatic about that unexpected run to the Frozen Four ... or five more pages deep into the "Fire Coach" thread.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                C'mon guys, we're in the NCAA's for Christ sake. A little enthusiasm!
                Agreed! You're playing and that's all you can ask for this time of year, given that only 15 other teams are. Of course, I'm fortunate because with a sister who is a big UNH fan (lives in Dover) and her boyfriend and my uncle who graduated from there, they're a natural choice for a "backup" team to root for! I've "recovered" from BU's loss last night and am eagerly awaiting the next "era" at BU, but that's for another day after the season. Right now I'm all hyped up for the "second season!" Go Cats!

Comment

Looks like Denver vs. UNH ........

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                    would have rather played mankato

Comment

• Originally posted by sonar View Post
                      If the predictions hold up could be a terrific regional.
                      Lowell vs Wisconsin
                      UNH vs Denver
                      A Hockey East/WCHA challenge

Comment

Originally posted by snively View Post
                        We're a #7 seed who has won exactly 3 of its last 13 games! Are you telling me that it doesn't really matter that Michigan is on fire and clicking right now because they were weak in October?[/B]
                        Nope. I'm telling you to relax, dont be a buzzkill, and enjoy yourself.

Comment

What do you think? (Or does anyone know...) Will UNH play the early or late game Friday night?

Comment

• Originally posted by Verkligen View Post
                            What do you think? (Or does anyone know...) Will UNH play the early or late game Friday night?
                            I believe Lowell will play the early game since they will be the top seeded team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Verkligen View Post
                              Being the lesser seed, I would think they play the later game, with UML going early.
                              We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                              ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                              --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

relax, dont be a buzzkill, and enjoy yourself.
                                Always do, GoUNH (no matter how many times I've seen this movie before). I also agree with Chuck that this will be a useful experience for the underclassmen.

Sorry if my comments came across as churlish. My attitude is more like the line from Garp: "We'll take it. It's been pre-disastered."

Comment

Working...
                                X