• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-H-C
    replied
    Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

From nhl.com article on Brett Pesce:

"I had to earn my spot," Pesce told NHL.com. "In the beginning of the year, I wasn't getting as much playing time as I usually had in the past, but [associate coach] Jim Tortorella taught me a lot and really helped step up my game. Toward the end of the year, he was giving me time on the penalty kill and 5-on-5. I'm thankful for that."

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

look on the bright side, with guys like ayers/souza/ciocco making waves in the industry, you should have a quality young coach in place when whistling dick does retire.

Leave a comment:

• Greg Ambrose
    replied

[QUOTE=NCAA watcher;5731602]Tale of two senior managers whose work force consists of 18-24 year olds. The first trusts kids. For players, he provides them encouragement to trust their own abilities and surprisingly, the kids want to play for him. He recognizes the need for contemporary mentorship, and consistently hires youngsters with little or no NCAA experience to mentor. Mike Cavanagh had no experience, Scott Paluch had no experience, Greg Brown had no experience, and now Ayers has no experience.

The other senior manager does not trust kids. He wants them to do only what he says, follow instructions, and success comes from hard work and following his instructions and systems. In turn, the solution to problems is to make his message louder. Thus, he surrounds himself with his own contemporaries.

As much as I respect your opinions, your comment that Umile does not "trust" kids is pretty harsh. I am sure the way he looks at this is that his method of operation that he has used since he became coach has worked pretty well. Okay, no national championship but plenty of accomplishment, especially compared to 90% of D1 schools. He is certainly not going to change now, pushing 65 and heading into his 24th year behind the bench. Umile is a different person that York, you can see that in public comments and his demeanor on the bench. Every manager operates differently, in every industry. Some nurture, some don't. I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way to do this. Jim Madigan has a young staff at Northeastern, same with Mike Dennehy at Merrimack. how's that working out for them?

Leave a comment:

• scoreboard
    replied
    Originally posted by sonar View Post
    Quote from NCAA Watcher:
    "Tale of two senior managers whose work force consists of 18-24 year olds. The first trusts kids. For players, he provides them encouragement to trust their own abilities and surprisingly, the kids want to play for him. He recognizes the need for contemporary mentorship, and consistently hires youngsters with little or no NCAA experience to mentor. Mike Cavanagh had no experience, Scott Paluch had no experience, Greg Brown had no experience, and now Ayers has no experience.

The other senior manager does not trust kids. He wants them to do only what he says, follow instructions, and success comes from hard work and following his instructions and systems. In turn, the solution to problems is to make his message louder. Thus, he surrounds himself with his own contemporaries.

Two of these things are not like the other"

This is unbelievable. NCAA Watcher has captured the ethos surrounding the UNH men's ice hockey staff, led by the head coach, in as few a words as possible. One would almost think he has played for UNH and experienced the atmosphere surrounding the .... "if your one of my old buddies I'll hire you as an assistant because I do not want to be second guessed." I applaud Watchers observation and comment.
    I agree, Watcher's posts are always spot on. He shows a major reason why UNH will most likely never win a title with the status quo.

Leave a comment:

• sonar
    replied

Quote from NCAA Watcher:
    "Tale of two senior managers whose work force consists of 18-24 year olds. The first trusts kids. For players, he provides them encouragement to trust their own abilities and surprisingly, the kids want to play for him. He recognizes the need for contemporary mentorship, and consistently hires youngsters with little or no NCAA experience to mentor. Mike Cavanagh had no experience, Scott Paluch had no experience, Greg Brown had no experience, and now Ayers has no experience.

Two of these things are not like the other"

This is unbelievable. NCAA Watcher has captured the ethos surrounding the UNH men's ice hockey staff, led by the head coach, in as few a words as possible. One would almost think he has played for UNH and experienced the atmosphere surrounding the .... "if your one of my old buddies I'll hire you as an assistant because I do not want to be second guessed." I applaud Watchers observation and comment.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

Great post, Watcher. Maybe Monty will be the next hire - seems to fit a certain pattern.

Leave a comment:

• MaizeRage
    replied

Are you saying he needs to lose some hair before UNH would consider him?

Leave a comment:

• NCAA watcher
    replied

Tale of two senior managers whose work force consists of 18-24 year olds. The first trusts kids. For players, he provides them encouragement to trust their own abilities and surprisingly, the kids want to play for him. He recognizes the need for contemporary mentorship, and consistently hires youngsters with little or no NCAA experience to mentor. Mike Cavanagh had no experience, Scott Paluch had no experience, Greg Brown had no experience, and now Ayers has no experience.

Two of these things are not like the other

Hired

*****http://unhwildcats.com/media/hockeym/coachesheadshots/Tcms_umile-dick.jpg?max_width=150&max_height=200******

*****http://unhwildcats.com/media/hockeym/coachesheadshots/borek-scott.jpg?max_width=150&max_height=200******

*****http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/200/FI/FICFAMZZZCYXBFI.20121023174205.jpg******

*****http://unhwildcats.com/sports/mice/coaches/Jim_Tortorella.jpg?max_width=150&max_height=200******

*****http://unhwildcats.com/media/hockeym/staff/churchard.jpg?max_width=150&max_height=200******

Not Hired

*****http://cdn2.sportngin.com/attachments/text_block/2122/2000/Ayers_Mike_large.jpg******

*****http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uk-ZlyHLQ8g/TkxdrqZ4vfI/AAAAAAAAITQ/EAkbFZcqgjI/s320/A.jpg******
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 05-28-2013, 02:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WIrinkrat
    replied

if an up and coming asst with no college experience is good enough for BC, no reason it shouldn't be good enough for UNH when the time comes.

Leave a comment:

• REDMEN2002
    replied
    Originally posted by Saetia22 View Post
    I believe the UNH job opened up just a couple weeks after Ayers had signed on with the USNTDP. Interesting he is being considered for the BC job, that could set up nicely for a Umile replacement as JD mentioned.
    Just saw on twitter that Ayers has been hired by BC. Account is @russbites. It was a RT that showed up on my feed.

Leave a comment:

• Saetia22
    replied

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    Begs the questions as to why he wasn't consider a candidate at UNH two years ago.
    I believe the UNH job opened up just a couple weeks after Ayers had signed on with the USNTDP. Interesting he is being considered for the BC job, that could set up nicely for a Umile replacement as JD mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• Greg Ambrose
    replied

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Mike Ayers is a candidate to replace Cav at BC. If that happens and he does well, could be your next head coach.
    Begs the questions as to why he wasn't consider a candidate at UNH two years ago.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

Mike Ayers is a candidate to replace Cav at BC. If that happens and he does well, could be your next head coach.

Leave a comment:

• Greg Ambrose
    replied

This is not a big problem of course. Marty has a lot more on his plate than thinking about hockey coach succession plans that may not happen for another five years or more. But he should file away the Maine experience in his memory bank. And I think Chuck is right that Umile is the third oldest coach in D1 right now. Still got a lot of energy though.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    What?! You do not think that Umile will get a statue at the entrance to the Whitt? You and Greg are right, of course; I just do not think that hockey coaching succession is on Marty's radar at this time.
    Well, it should be, at least to some degree.

As far as Coach Umile's legacy, perhaps they should rename the HE Regular Season championship trophy after him. Seriously. Is there anything more fitting? He's won that more than even you-know-who over at The Heights, and may be tied with Coach Parker during their shared time in the league.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X