UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

I stopped investing in any sort of outcome to these games a while ago now. Part of it was growing up a little and having virtually nothing invested into the school. Some of the games were heart breaking like the 2008 Hockey east semi vs BC. But without affixing an emotion to the outcome, its become easier to watch as a casual fan. While one can hold a bunch of kids to these insane standards ( while we ourselves are awful players) - its easier to just watch and enjoy whats given to us. If you don't enjoy it, pursue a new endeavor. For me since the team isn't as good as say 2002, I don't feel compelled to follow as much. The college game is hyperpolaraized in respect to who is good and who is not - the UNHs can't compete with the top few schools who have the resources and money to acquire the talent. In a way, this is why I like seeing teams like Lowell, Providence, or other teams in the national mix because it shows maybe it could not be as polarized as I think it is. But when teams like BC win 3 in the span of a few years, that is usually erased.

More to UNH, I respect that they work with what they bring in. They miss out on a lot of players and still put together winning seasons. its also obvious that the level of success has dropped off the last decade overall, but much of that has to do with increased competition elsewhere. can't blame anyone for that (except that juniors is more attractive for NHL prospects if your school isnt BU, BC Minnesota or michigan).
    "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      My point is, you're not doing these players any favors coddling them
      You're right. I'm just saying it's not really in my nature. Whenever I have a problem with someone, whether it be business or personal, I prefer to discuss it one on one and not embarrass them. Now, even if it might be "what they need," it's just not my style. I'm not comfortable doing it that way. And, to your other point, I was CRAZY when I was in college. But I've simply mellowed with age. So I'm not saying it's "not OK" to boo...I'm just saying I don't do it. It doesn't mean I don't get frustrated, also. But, yes, I guess I am at a point in my life where I don't let things bother me as much. Not to get philosophical, but trust me, time accelerates as you age and you realize there is not much time left to do the things you wanted to do. When I look at myself and see that I'm not there yet, it's hard to be as critical of others who may "disappoint" me. I can't really explain it any other way except that (and I know everyone hates this) "you'll see when you get there!" But don't be in a hurry!

Comment

I'm someone who hasn't mellowed with age. Ask anyone I sit with or anyone who drives with me to a road game (or try walking in front of me during play). I can get just as frustrated if not more than most. But if you are telling people not to buy tickets, don't go to this game because they will just "get your hopes up," or constantly rip apart a team of college kids move on. Clearly this team will never be good enough for some people unless they win the big one (and god do I hope they win it). If that is what you need every year hop on the BC bandwagon and pop your collar.
        UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Maybe we could reinstate the Adopt A Hillbilly program, Darci.
          Originally posted by reBlur
          the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
            I'm someone who hasn't mellowed with age...
            I hope not! You're 25 or 30 years behind the guys that have made that comment (like me)
            Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

If the story about UNH Admissions not giving Gadreau the time of day after he apparently showed interest in going there is true, then UNH is beyond hope. UNH isn't Harvard and their admissions dept really needs to get that through their thick heads...

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                Maybe we could reinstate the Adopt A Hillbilly program, Darci.
                I'm still not signing up for that program!
                UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

I've felt for the last decade that this program is in decline. Both Maine and New Hampshire will be totally irrelevant 2-3 years from now. Not sure that matters anyway as the rest of the country other than New England and the upper Midwest really cares about college hockey anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                    You're right. I'm just saying it's not really in my nature. Whenever I have a problem with someone, whether it be business or personal, I prefer to discuss it one on one and not embarrass them. Now, even if it might be "what they need," it's just not my style. I'm not comfortable doing it that way. And, to your other point, I was CRAZY when I was in college. But I've simply mellowed with age. So I'm not saying it's "not OK" to boo...I'm just saying I don't do it. It doesn't mean I don't get frustrated, also. But, yes, I guess I am at a point in my life where I don't let things bother me as much. Not to get philosophical, but trust me, time accelerates as you age and you realize there is not much time left to do the things you wanted to do. When I look at myself and see that I'm not there yet, it's hard to be as critical of others who may "disappoint" me. I can't really explain it any other way except that (and I know everyone hates this) "you'll see when you get there!" But don't be in a hurry!
                    So, in summary, you've become complaisant. That's cool and nothing wrong with that.
                    Last edited by scoreboard; 03-21-2013, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Seems to me that most UNH fans can't muster the effort to boo anyways, unless it involves the refs, so I don't think that is something we need to worry about.
                      113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Harvard bball gets first ncaa tournament win and they're going to have a parade. And we're complaining about what? Just sayin'......
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                          So, in summary, you've become complacent. That's cool and nothing wrong with that.
                          Fixed your post!
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                            So, in summary, you've become complaisant. That's cool and nothing wrong with that.
                            Not sure how "not booing" makes me complacent. I was the one who said I was disgusted with fans who just sit on their hands and don't cheer. What I said was go and have a good time and CHEER for your team. That's hardly complacent. What I have become is not as negative and critical as I used to be, but I wouldn't say that is synonymous with complacent.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                              Fixed your post!
                              Please google the words complaisant and complacent. They have different meanings. Complaisant means cheerfully obliging while complacent means self-satisfied or smug.

Comment

Hey, I learned a new word. Too bad my co-workers aren't more complaisant and less complacent.
                                Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X