UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://unhwildcats.com/sports/mice/2013-14/schedule
    UNH schedule for next year... Not officially announced but like last year it's on the website if you change the date from this last years schedule, and like last year, maybe they'll take it down until later, so just in case:

October
    11-Icebreaker vs Clarkson (at Minnesota)
    12-Icebreaker vs. Mercyhurst or Minnesota (at Minnesota)
    18-Michigan
    19-Michigan
    26-@RPI

November
    1-@UML
    2-UML
    8-UMass
    9-@UMass
    12-Brown
    15-@Northeastern
    16-Northeastern
    22-@Providence
    23-@Providence
    26-Harvard
    29-@Colorado College
    30-@Colorado College

December
    6-@Boston College
    7-Boston College
    28-vs Cornell (Florida Tournament)
    29-vs Princeton/Maine (Florida Tournament)

January
    3-Nebraska Omaha
    4-Nebraska Omaha
    11-Dartmouth (Verizon wireless arena)
    17-Union
    18-Union
    24-Maine
    26-@Maine
    31-Notre Dame

February
    1-Notre Dame
    7-Vermont
    8-Vermont
    14-Boston University
    15-@Boston University
    28-@Merrimack

March
    1-@Merrimack

Comment

• Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
      http://unhwildcats.com/sports/mice/2013-14/schedule
      UNH schedule for next year... Not officially announced but like last year it's on the website if you change the date from this last years schedule, and like last year, maybe they'll take it down until later, so just in case:

October
      11-Icebreaker vs Clarkson (at Minnesota)
      12-Icebreaker vs. Mercyhurst or Minnesota (at Minnesota)
      18-Michigan
      19-Michigan
      26-@RPI

November
      1-@UML
      2-UML
      8-UMass
      9-@UMass
      12-Brown
      15-@Northeastern
      16-Northeastern
      22-@Providence
      23-@Providence
      26-Harvard
      29-@Colorado College
      30-@Colorado College

December
      6-@Boston College
      7-Boston College
      28-vs Cornell (Florida Tournament)
      29-vs Princeton/Maine (Florida Tournament)

January
      3-Nebraska Omaha
      4-Nebraska Omaha
      11-Dartmouth (Verizon wireless arena)
      17-Union
      18-Union
      24-Maine
      26-@Maine
      31-Notre Dame

February
      1-Notre Dame
      7-Vermont
      8-Vermont
      14-Boston University
      15-@Boston University
      28-@Merrimack

March
      1-@Merrimack
      You'd think they would learn their lesson after you did this last year. You should be an investigative reporter

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
        You'd think they would learn their lesson after you did this last year. You should be an investigative reporter
        maybe I am (Appears as if it's gone already, oops )

Comment

You would think that with Notre Dame and Vermont both comming to the Whitt for two UNH would go to Providence and Amherst for two. Going to Merrimack for two is just weird.

I would think Umass, Providence, Vermont, Maine and Notre Dame would be the "play 2" crew. They are the schools farthest from the "center" (or would that be centroid) of the league.

Interesting non league schedule, with the highlights of Michigan, Union and UNO comming in for two each.
          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Wildcat Pride... *grin* Feel good stuff.

http://www.today.com/health/i-never-...hort-6C9670404

Comment

• Originally posted by Verkligen View Post
              Wildcat Pride... *grin* Feel good stuff.

http://www.today.com/health/i-never-...hort-6C9670404
              Great story; thanks for posting. Good friend just gave a kidney to her sister that put her own 40+ month run of 20+ mile hiking traverses of the Presidential Range at risk. Both sisters doing fine and my friend recovered quickly enough to continue her "streak" this winter. I would equate the number of continuous months of Presi traverses to be roughly equivalent to number of continuous years of NCAA post-season hockey appearances.

So, does UNH always play 36 regular season games per the above 2013-2014 schedule?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                So, does UNH always play 36 regular season games per the above 2013-2014 schedule?
                They do when they are in the ice breaker as those games don't "count" in the total.
                UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  Great story; thanks for posting. Good friend just gave a kidney to her sister that put her own 40+ month run of 20+ mile hiking traverses of the Presidential Range at risk. Both sisters doing fine and my friend recovered quickly enough to continue her "streak" this winter. I would equate the number of continuous months of Presi traverses to be roughly equivalent to number of continuous years of NCAA post-season hockey appearances.

The norm is 34, but, as mentioned, with the ice breaker, they are exempt against the 34, as are a few other tournaments, and games in Alaska against Alaska teams... something like that.

Comment

Thanks; for some reason I thought that only the games against the 18 year old juniors and Canadian teams did not count.

Comment

On the unhwildcats.com site they have a headline article that hockey season tickets are now on sale. They state amongst the key non-conference teams coming to the Whittemore this season is Notre Dame. Dummies...

Comment

The 2013-2014 schedule has been "officially" released:

http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mi...20130506tccia1

Edit: Still tentative, all of the game times are TBA. Not sure why they even bothered?
                        Last edited by Scott; 05-06-2013, 04:52 PM.
                        UNH

Comment

10 years ago at this time, UNH Men's Hockey stood as the two-time defending HE Tourney Champions, and were finishing off a stretch where they'd advanced to the Frozen Four four out of the previous six seasons, including trips to the D-1 title game in 1999 and 2003.

Key players like Steve Saviano, Sean Collins, Mike Ayers, Patrick Foley, Preston Callander, Mick Mounsey and Tyson Teplitsky were coming back. Promising youngsters like Brian Yandle, Dan Winnik, Jacob Micflikier, Brett Hemingway, Jeff Pietrasiak, and Josh Ciocco were either breaking into the line-up or just arriving on campus. Heck - Eddie "Hamlet" Caron was even coming back from a year in self-imposed exile in and around New Haven CT. The vaunted "waiting list" for season tickets at the almost 8 year old Whittemore Center was reportedly well into 4 figures, and by some accounts even approaching 5 figures. The future, as they say, seemed bright. And then ...

... one sunny weekend morning in early May, *it* happened. "The Old Man of the Mountain" in Franconia Notch, reduced to a pile of rubble by Mother Nature.

If ever there was a WIS-style epic saga to be written again, then this might have been the one ... but in this instance, fact has been more dramatic than fiction, as the UNH Men's Hockey program has since slowly but surely eroded from its lofty position - just like the "Old Man" himself. 10 years ago, if I'd told you that UNH would not only still be looking for its elusive first D-1 title, but more surprisingly also would have failed to so much as return one (1) single time to the Frozen Four AND also failed to add to the two back-to-back HE Tourney titles since ... and would be struggling to fill their building at ANY point in the season, with no "waiting list" beyond the time it takes for someone to return a phone call and give you a selection of thousands of empty seats ... would anyone have realistically seen it ALL coming?

God knows I'm not a wide-eyed optimist OR a "gloomy Gus", but to me it's stunning just how far the program has fallen back towards the middle of the pack nationally, and even more so how the expectations of the UNH fans have dramatically been lowered. That it's happened somewhat gradually probably has deadened some of us to the shock of a quick and precipitous decline. But at some point, you wake up and look outside your window, and all you've got is this pile of rocks where a statue used to be.

Simply put, UNH needs to do something to give the fans of its program some hope that the current "pile of rocks" is going to be a statue again.

And unlike Mother Nature's own fallen "statue" at Franconia Notch, rebuilding what has fallen in Durham can be done, but it will need vision and commitment, and the bravery to approach things in a different way. Right now, the UNH program is only a monument to the concept of repeated failures, and the level of those failures unfortunately seems to be trending down. From four Frozen Fours in six seasons to "the only team in D-1 to win an NCAA game four of the last five seasons". Whatever changes have been made over the last decade have unfortunately fallen into the "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" category.

I am not advocating for Coach Umile to leave, but he does need to take a long hard look at how he's running his program, and not only ask himself some very tough questions, but also be prepared to act on them for the betterment of the program. If he thought that by outlasting Coach Parker (check) and Coach York (not so fast), things would by default begin to gravitate in his direction, then I'm guessing Messrs. Bazin, Dennehy and Leaman would respectfully disagree. And with new challenges just over the horizon as the league expands by two teams, and new coaches try to breathe new life into the BU and UMaine programs ... standing still and hoping to catch lightning in a bottle isn't a winning strategy, as we've seen for the better part of the last 10 seasons. It's not about "puck luck" ... it's about excellence. Make it happen. Give us hope. JMHO.
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            10 years ago, if I'd told you that UNH would not only still be looking for its elusive first D-1 title, but more surprisingly also would have failed to so much as return one (1) single time to the Frozen Four AND also failed to add to the two back-to-back HE Tourney titles since ... and would be struggling to fill their building at ANY point in the season, with no "waiting list" beyond the time it takes for someone to return a phone call and give you a selection of thousands of empty seats ... would anyone have realistically seen it ALL coming?

God knows I'm not a wide-eyed optimist OR a "gloomy Gus", but to me it's stunning just how far the program has fallen back towards the middle of the pack nationally, and even more so how the expectations of the UNH fans have dramatically been lowered. That it's happened somewhat gradually probably has deadened some of us to the shock of a quick and precipitous decline. But at some point, you wake up and look outside your window, and all you've got is this pile of rocks where a statue used to be.
                            I'm not going to argue one way or another here, but still, it's remarkable that UNH has been winning at the clip (avg of probably 20+ wins) they have been winning as far as total wins being piled up since those FFs and 2 HE titles. Especially with the dropoff of talent coming through the doors (ZOMG those meen guyz in the admishins offis!!!!). In those postseason games, the talent usually rises to the top, unless you have a cadre of overaged, toothless mercenaries/Euros like SOME teams, and that's where UNH falls short recently. Not to mention you need SERIOUS talent to win postseason games just to overcome the shortfalls left behind by the guy behind the bench.
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Saturday, May 3, 2003, probably about 2:30 am, long before sunrise.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Saturday, May 3, 2003, probably about 2:30 am, long before sunrise.
                                You live up there ferchrissakes, Snively65. You could probably hear the rocks falling from your back yard.

For the rest of us, the bad news arrived when turning on the Channel 9 news later that morning ...
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X