• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

I can't wait until next year!

Comment

Originally posted by smitre View Post
      And hopefully a good sign that TvR was named one of the alternate captains.
      I'm intrigued by the choice of Wyer, who has appeared in less than ten games in his UNH career, as the other "A." Here's hoping that is a testament to him, not a result of the shortcomings of the others.
      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Re: 2013-2014 Schedule

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
        UNH's tentative schedule is shaping up to include:

October
        -------
        11-Icebreaker (at Minnesota)
        12-Icebreaker (at Minnesota)
        26-@RPI

November
        ---------
        1-@UML
        2-UML
        8-UMass
        9-@UMass
        12-Brown
        15-@Northeastern
        16-Northeastern
        22-@Providence
        23-@Providence
        29-@Colorado College
        30-@Colorado College

December
        ---------
        6-@Boston College
        7-Boston College
        28-vs Cornell (Florida Tournament)
        29-vs Princeton/Maine (Florida Tournament)

January
        -------
        3-Nebraska Omaha
        4-Nebraska Omaha
        24-Maine
        26-@Maine
        31-Notre Dame

February
        --------
        1-Notre Dame
        7-Vermont
        8-Vermont
        14-Boston University
        15-@Boston University
        28-@Merrimack

March
        ------
        1-@Merrimack

Any idea who else we might see, and who else is playing in the Ice Breaker?
        Per Allen Lessels recent UNH Notebook in the Union Leader:

"UNH opens the 2013-14 season against Clarkson in the Ice Breaker tournament in Minnesota on Oct. 11. Mercyhurst and Minnesota play the same night. UNH will play Minnesota or Mercyhurst the next night" ...

With respect to UNH's league schedule, I'm still a bit confused. My understanding was that within Hockey East only games vs. Vermont and Notre Dame (plus Maine for all teams other than UNH), i.e., the geographic outliers, were to be played as two games back-to-back at the same venue; all other series were to be home and homes, preferably on the same weekend. Yet this (tentative?) schedule lists the 'Cats season series vs. both Merrimack and PC as strictly away contests, all four games to be played on the road. That can't be right, can it? Merrimack is UNH's closest geographic rival; to not play a home/home with the Warriors is simply ridiculous. If both PC games do indeed end up being played at Schneider Arena, that'll mean UNH will have played their last 6 games vs. the Friars in beautiful downtown Providence. I'd like to think that one of these games vs. both PC and MC will eventually be rescheduled for the Whitt; perhaps it's simply a matter of resolving whose Arena is free each night?

Comment

With UNH-Maine kept as home and away and both the Vermont and ND series pairs played at the Whitt they would need to schedule extra league games away for UNH if Hockey East's goal is to have 10 games away and 10 home. All of this assumes that schedule is accurate.

I also heard rumors of a slate of HE games at Fenway. Maybe that relates to the large gap in January and games will be moved like what happened with Maine.

Comment

• Originally posted by smitre View Post
            You're right that is a good sign and I didn't realize he was named an A until you mentioned it here. Thanks
            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by smitre View Post
              While I hope TvR does stay at UNH, being an alternate captain doesn't guarantee that the person will stay for the upcoming season. An example of this was with Blake Kessel who was named as an alternate captain going into his senior season. However, as we know, Kessel left prior to his senior season.

Comment

General Question...

Eric Knodel did not play his freshman year, which would allow him to redshirt that year. So, is Knodel currently a junior or redshirt sophomore? If he is listed as a junior (upcoming senior), does college hockey not do redshirts?

Comment

Originally posted by New Hampshire 'Cats Fan View Post
                  General Question...

Eric Knodel did not play his freshman year, which would allow him to redshirt that year. So, is Knodel currently a junior or redshirt sophomore? If he is listed as a junior (upcoming senior), does college hockey not do redshirts?
                  The only redshirts I've seen at UNH Hockey in the past have been injury-related. Tom Nolan and (more recently I believe) Dalton Speelman are two examples. I'm assuming that's not a UNH thing, and more general a D-1 hockey thing. "Redshirts" as a developmental concept, as used in college football, is well taken care of by other options like prep school and junior hockey.
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    The only redshirts I've seen at UNH Hockey in the past have been injury-related. Tom Nolan and (more recently I believe) Dalton Speelman are two examples. I'm assuming that's not a UNH thing, and more general a D-1 hockey thing. "Redshirts" as a developmental concept, as used in college football, is well taken care of by other options like prep school and junior hockey.

If you have a contributing player...one that is say a top 6 forward or a top 3 defenseman that can not be easily replaced...why would you not bring him back for a 5th season if he had the eligibility, assuming the player wanted to come back? Knodel has developed nicely..far better than I ever thought he would the first time he played for UNH. Assuming Knodel is on some kind of scholarship, all they'd have to do is find the money to make it feasible...which can probably be done by holding off on recruiting a player to fill that position if they know a couple seasons in advance that is the plan, or by pushing someone back if they have to.

Someone like Agosta on the other hand wouldn't surprise me either way. He's been a guy that's constantly in the lineup, but he's not a top 3 guy and probably never will be. What he brings to the table is far more easily replaced by bringing someone else into the mix than it is with Knodel, IMO

Further, to your point...I don't think we've had a situation like Knodel that I can remember in the recent era. You have some players that don't play as frosh...but those guys are typically the recruited walkon who is never going to be a guy that does much more than crack the 4th line or skate a few games as a 6th D. I can't recall another player who sat an entire season at the beginning of their career and then developed within the next 2 seasons into a top 3 (really a top 2) defenseman.
                    Last edited by WIrinkrat; 04-21-2013, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Seems like every year when the next season's captains are announced there's some head scratching.

First, unless I missed it I haven't seen anyone use the term "assistant captain" - major pet peeve of mine. Well done!

Second, I HATE giving a goalie a C or A (it's not allowed in professional hockey). Just doesn't look right, would be like seeing a forward wear uni #1. But giving a backup an A?? Just strange. I was thinking Goumas might be a decent choice, but what do I know?
                      Are you guys brothers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned Braden View Post
                        Seems like every year when the next season's captains are announced there's some head scratching.

First, unless I missed it I haven't seen anyone use the term "assistant captain" - major pet peeve of mine. Well done!

Second, I HATE giving a goalie a C or A (it's not allowed in professional hockey). Just doesn't look right, would be like seeing a forward wear uni #1. But giving a backup an A?? Just strange. I was thinking Goumas might be a decent choice, but what do I know?
                        Captains are elected by their teammates. Apparently these are the players they chose to lead them as a team.

Comment

How can one not be happy for Wyer? Regardless of the playing time he may get, he is obviously a positive influence on the team. I think that says a lot about his character. Good for him. If he plays a few more games this year, great! If not, he must be doing something right on that bench.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                            If you have a contributing player...one that is say a top 6 forward or a top 3 defenseman that can not be easily replaced...why would you not bring him back for a 5th season if he had the eligibility, assuming the player wanted to come back? Knodel has developed nicely..far better than I ever thought he would the first time he played for UNH. Assuming Knodel is on some kind of scholarship, all they'd have to do is find the money to make it feasible...which can probably be done by holding off on recruiting a player to fill that position if they know a couple seasons in advance that is the plan, or by pushing someone back if they have to.
                            I agree 100% ... IF that is an option. I'm just not sure it is. I know it obviously is in NCAA football, but I've never seen it used in D-1 hockey (other than medical/injuries), which leads me to believe it may not be an option? But that's admittedly a WAG, just based on it not being a topic for discussion in the past. Good question.

Further, to your point...I don't think we've had a situation like Knodel that I can remember in the recent era. You have some players that don't play as frosh...but those guys are typically the recruited walkon who is never going to be a guy that does much more than crack the 4th line or skate a few games as a 6th D. I can't recall another player who sat an entire season at the beginning of their career and then developed within the next 2 seasons into a top 3 (really a top 2) defenseman.
                            I can't remember a similar example either? We need one of the vets for this one, and maybe an NCAA rulebook wonk for the first question.

Josh - you still out there?
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I can tell you definitively that you have 5 years to use 4 seasons of eligibility in ice hockey. The reason you see a 5th year utilized more frequently with injuries is because people are recapturing a season that would have otherwise been lost because they had participated in competition. The reason you don't see it in a situation like this is because as has been discussed, typically kids that can't crack the lineup in year 1 are a dime a dozen and don't develop into guys that are tough to replace. Or as you mentioned, they are left in juniors to develop further for another year and are not brought to the school until they are ready to contribute. This is certainly a unique situation...but 5 years to play 4 seasons of eligibility is a universal NCAA thing and you can only burn one of those years by participating in competitions, alumni games, or a few other things that you don't ever really see. I'm sure it's not unprecedented by any means, but for a variety of reasons it isn't something that I imagine happens very often under these circumstances.

Comment

I can tell you definitively that you have 5 years to use 4 seasons of eligibility in ice hockey. The reason you see a 5th year utilized more frequently with injuries is because people are recapturing a season that would have otherwise been lost because they had participated in competition. The reason you don't see it in a situation like this is because as has been discussed, typically kids that can't crack the lineup in year 1 are a dime a dozen and don't develop into guys that are tough to replace. Or as you mentioned, they are left in juniors to develop further for another year and are not brought to the school until they are ready to contribute. This is certainly a unique situation...but 5 years to play 4 seasons of eligibility is a universal NCAA thing and you can only burn one of those years by participating in competitions, alumni games, or a few other things that you don't ever really see. I'm sure it's not unprecedented by any means, but for a variety of reasons it isn't something that I imagine happens very often under these circumstances.
                                It would not make sense in hockey but the 4 in 5 provision for the NCAA even allows you to dress for games just not play. With Hockey all 18 skaters play, maybe a 3rd goalie could use the dress provision. So in Football you can be hanging out in pads on the sideline game day as long as you don't participate in any snaps. One snap and an entire year of eligibility is consumed.

You have to think big time football is the cause of the “you can even dress” rule. They are looking for depth in the advent of injury because you know you need access to all 85 scholarship players.

I don’t know how the scholarship rules match up to the 4 in 5 rule. Can you get money all 5 years? I do know that if you complete your degree in 4 years you can play the 5th year while working on a Masters.
                                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Working...
                                X