X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smitre
    replied
    Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

With UNH-Maine kept as home and away and both the Vermont and ND series pairs played at the Whitt they would need to schedule extra league games away for UNH if Hockey East's goal is to have 10 games away and 10 home. All of this assumes that schedule is accurate.

I also heard rumors of a slate of HE games at Fenway. Maybe that relates to the large gap in January and games will be moved like what happened with Maine.

Leave a comment:

• jeteye1717
    replied
    Re: 2013-2014 Schedule

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
    UNH's tentative schedule is shaping up to include:

October
    -------
    11-Icebreaker (at Minnesota)
    12-Icebreaker (at Minnesota)
    26-@RPI

November
    ---------
    1-@UML
    2-UML
    8-UMass
    9-@UMass
    12-Brown
    15-@Northeastern
    16-Northeastern
    22-@Providence
    23-@Providence
    29-@Colorado College
    30-@Colorado College

December
    ---------
    6-@Boston College
    7-Boston College
    28-vs Cornell (Florida Tournament)
    29-vs Princeton/Maine (Florida Tournament)

January
    -------
    3-Nebraska Omaha
    4-Nebraska Omaha
    24-Maine
    26-@Maine
    31-Notre Dame

February
    --------
    1-Notre Dame
    7-Vermont
    8-Vermont
    14-Boston University
    15-@Boston University
    28-@Merrimack

March
    ------
    1-@Merrimack

Any idea who else we might see, and who else is playing in the Ice Breaker?
    Per Allen Lessels recent UNH Notebook in the Union Leader:

"UNH opens the 2013-14 season against Clarkson in the Ice Breaker tournament in Minnesota on Oct. 11. Mercyhurst and Minnesota play the same night. UNH will play Minnesota or Mercyhurst the next night" ...

With respect to UNH's league schedule, I'm still a bit confused. My understanding was that within Hockey East only games vs. Vermont and Notre Dame (plus Maine for all teams other than UNH), i.e., the geographic outliers, were to be played as two games back-to-back at the same venue; all other series were to be home and homes, preferably on the same weekend. Yet this (tentative?) schedule lists the 'Cats season series vs. both Merrimack and PC as strictly away contests, all four games to be played on the road. That can't be right, can it? Merrimack is UNH's closest geographic rival; to not play a home/home with the Warriors is simply ridiculous. If both PC games do indeed end up being played at Schneider Arena, that'll mean UNH will have played their last 6 games vs. the Friars in beautiful downtown Providence. I'd like to think that one of these games vs. both PC and MC will eventually be rescheduled for the Whitt; perhaps it's simply a matter of resolving whose Arena is free each night?

Leave a comment:

• Felger
    replied

Originally posted by smitre View Post
    And hopefully a good sign that TvR was named one of the alternate captains.
    I'm intrigued by the choice of Wyer, who has appeared in less than ten games in his UNH career, as the other "A." Here's hoping that is a testament to him, not a result of the shortcomings of the others.

Leave a comment:

• WNTKPROD
    replied

I can't wait until next year!

Leave a comment:

• smitre
    replied
    Originally posted by e.cat View Post
    Excellent choices
    And hopefully a good sign that TvR was named one of the alternate captains.

Leave a comment:

• e.cat
    replied
    Excellent choices

Leave a comment:

• GoUNH
    replied
    Originally posted by Darius View Post
    Men's Hockey Team Calls, Thanks Season ticket Holders for Support in 2012-13 Season

DURHAM, N.H. – The University of New Hampshire men's hockey team took to the phones Tuesday and placed calls to all season ticket holders for their dedication and support of the program for the 2012-13 season. The "Thank-A-Thon" was held at the UNH Survey Center on campus.

Each member of the team helped place calls to nearly 900 season ticket holders, each one being personally thanked by the student-athletes.

Men's hockey season tickets are currently up for renewal and fans are being offered tickets to all 20 games, next season, for under $20 each. Season ticket holders have until May 15th to renew their same seats with no payments due until July 1, 2013. In addition to the discounted season ticket rate, season ticket holders will also have the opportunity to participate in two new events, a summer skate at the Whittemore Center and a season puck drop event in early October.

Last year's season ticket holders of the year, the Morris family of Barrington, won a trip to Punta Cana or the Riviera Maya, Mexico, provided by Apple Vacations and Horizon-University Travel for their 100% attendance at all regular season hockey games. A complete list of season ticket holder benefits can be found by clicking here.

Men's hockey season tickets will on-sale to the general public on May 1, 2013. For more information, call the Whittemore Center Box Office at (603) 862-4000 ext. 5.

http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mi...20130419mb2gg9
    Yup. I got a call from Jay Camper. I did not recognize the number so I did not pick up. He left a message.

Leave a comment:

• C-H-C
    replied

"Casey DeSmith UNH MVP, Eric Knodel Named Captain"

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

Originally posted by CrazedUNHfan View Post
    Was it overly simplistic? Yes. Did I say ALL of the great players that have come though UNH have been in the mold that I have described? I mentioned the leading scorers from the creation of the whitt until the 2005-2006 season.
    If there was a truly valid point to be made, you wouldn't have to stop at 2005-2006. Numbers only get you so far in making any type of hockey analysis anyway. This isn't baseball, y'know?

This shows a trend in smaller players as a type that is the primary offense for a team. While the players you mentioned may have been "better" and decided to leave early because of it. Those players did not contribute to UNH like I mentioned. UNH has relied on smaller faster players to lead this team and I said that I think that is a recruiting tatic with the Whitt.
    There is a general trend to "smaller" players in college hockey in general - it's not a UNH thing, or a Whitt thing. Big players with speed (JVR) tend to get noticed quickly, whereas big players without as much speed or quickness (for example, Knodel) can use D-1 as an opportunity to develop those skills a little bit more, and get working on a "Plan B" just in case.

You cant deny that UNH has had a long list of these players that have carried this team since the whitt was opened. No team can subsist on only one type of player and I made a point that UNH likes to rely on smaller players to lead their offense.
    Guys like Mike Rossetti, Jeff Lazaro, Savo Mitrovic, Dom Amodeo and Joe Flanagan were also not exactly the "Land of the Giants" for the last few years UNH played at Snively. Even Eric Flinton and Nick Poole - finesse players who were both a little taller - weren't exactly known for their physical presence on the ice.

And you gotta be careful when using terms like "carry" and "rely upon". Pat Foley never lit up the scoresheet, but there was a reason he was a two-year captain (three if you count him wearing the "A" as a soph), and those were arguably the two best consecutive seasons in the program's history. Some things you can't measure with stats.

Leave a comment:

• Darius
    replied

Men's Hockey Team Calls, Thanks Season ticket Holders for Support in 2012-13 Season

DURHAM, N.H. – The University of New Hampshire men's hockey team took to the phones Tuesday and placed calls to all season ticket holders for their dedication and support of the program for the 2012-13 season. The "Thank-A-Thon" was held at the UNH Survey Center on campus.

Each member of the team helped place calls to nearly 900 season ticket holders, each one being personally thanked by the student-athletes.

Men's hockey season tickets are currently up for renewal and fans are being offered tickets to all 20 games, next season, for under $20 each. Season ticket holders have until May 15th to renew their same seats with no payments due until July 1, 2013. In addition to the discounted season ticket rate, season ticket holders will also have the opportunity to participate in two new events, a summer skate at the Whittemore Center and a season puck drop event in early October.

Last year's season ticket holders of the year, the Morris family of Barrington, won a trip to Punta Cana or the Riviera Maya, Mexico, provided by Apple Vacations and Horizon-University Travel for their 100% attendance at all regular season hockey games. A complete list of season ticket holder benefits can be found by clicking here.

Men's hockey season tickets will on-sale to the general public on May 1, 2013. For more information, call the Whittemore Center Box Office at (603) 862-4000 ext. 5.

http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mi...20130419mb2gg9

Leave a comment:

• Darius
    replied

Originally posted by Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau View Post
    UNHs take da beste playeur dey can get, periode. Eef da Charlie Coyles et Nick Bjugstads of da world starte nocking on da door I don't tinking dey gonna say nope, sorry too beeg.
    Unless Charlie and Nick don't have two years of foreign language on their high school transcripts.

Leave a comment:

• Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau
    replied

Was it overly simplistic? Yes. Did I say ALL of the great players that have come though UNH have been in the mold that I have described? I mentioned the leading scorers from the creation of the whitt until the 2005-2006 season. This shows a trend in smaller players as a type that is the primary offense for a team. While the players you mentioned may have been "better" and decided to leave early because of it. Those players did not contribute to UNH like I mentioned. UNH has relied on smaller faster players to lead this team and I said that I think that is a recruiting tatic with the Whitt. You cant deny that UNH has had a long list of these players that have carried this team since the whitt was opened. No team can subsist on only one type of player and I made a point that UNH likes to rely on smaller players to lead their offense.

Also I can give you the two points that you made in your post are true. But that is usually because the NHL likes to draft based on size and that leaves the smaller players with more to prove before they can go pro.
    You saided moste of there beste playeurs. You was wrong ou unawares take you picke.

UNHs take da beste playeur dey can get, periode. Eef da Charlie Coyles et Nick Bjugstads of da world starte nocking on da door I don't tinking dey gonna say nope, sorry too beeg.

Leave a comment:

• CrazedUNHfan
    replied

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Overrated, and overly simplistic.
    Was it overly simplistic? Yes. Did I say ALL of the great players that have come though UNH have been in the mold that I have described? I mentioned the leading scorers from the creation of the whitt until the 2005-2006 season. This shows a trend in smaller players as a type that is the primary offense for a team. While the players you mentioned may have been "better" and decided to leave early because of it. Those players did not contribute to UNH like I mentioned. UNH has relied on smaller faster players to lead this team and I said that I think that is a recruiting tatic with the Whitt. You cant deny that UNH has had a long list of these players that have carried this team since the whitt was opened. No team can subsist on only one type of player and I made a point that UNH likes to rely on smaller players to lead their offense.

Also I can give you the two points that you made in your post are true. But that is usually because the NHL likes to draft based on size and that leaves the smaller players with more to prove before they can go pro.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

Yes they havent been all small players. What I was trying to say is that the rink gives an advantage to faster skilled players. This advantage has been seen through a long list of smaller forwards that have come throuh UNH. This is very well shown in UNH's history.

If you consider the top 5 alltime scorers that have played in the whitt at some point in their careers
    Mowers
    Krog
    Haydar
    Collins
    Boguniecki

All of them are under 6 feet and would be considered smaller by hockey standards

Then in the 11 years from the 1995-1996 season to the 2005-2006 season all but one of our leading scorers for a given year was under 6 feet tall
    The exception was Lanny Gare in 02-03 who was a towering 6' 1''

The whitt is a playground for small players that can be shifty in open ice. Smaller players that wouldnt be able to take the physical beating of playing in a smaller rink with more hitting and less open space are more likely to come here. The open ice makes them more effective and those players want to be in a situation where they will succeed. I think that we will see this phenomenon from Kelleher next year.
    Overrated, and overly simplistic. If you look at Jacques' list, most of the "bigger" forwards (i.e. Bekar, Nickulas, Smith, JVR and Winnik) left a year or two early, whereas the "smaller" players did not leave early. We can debate individual cases on just how smart those decisions to leave early turned out, but the long and short of it was that Jacques' players did not amass the career "numbers" due to shortened careers, and did not amass individual year "numbers" since they were still mostly underclassmen. In Bekar's and Nickulas' cases, the players that outscored them were Krog and Mowers - and not by a whole lot, either. Smith and JVR led their teams in scoring more recently.

Truth of the matter is more likely that UNH recruits the smaller players because (1) they are the types more available to D-1 schools, and (2) maybe they have expectations those players are more likely to stay the full 4 years (as did all of the players on your list above).

Furthermore, it seems to me BC has done pretty GD well with their own smaller players, and Conte Forum is a regulation size rink with less open space.

Leave a comment:

• C-H-C
    replied

Originally posted by Verkligen View Post
    Anyone else notice the kid wearing a UNH sweatshirt, helping to take care of folks near the blasts on Boylston? Just wondering if anyone has any idea who it was, how the University might recognize him, etc.

Have seen it in media clips... Terribly sad and terribly proud at the same time.
    Photo by Charles Krupa/AP

*****http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/bos041513/b05_09674561.jpg******

Leave a comment:

Working...
X