X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB
    replied
    Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

You would think that with Notre Dame and Vermont both comming to the Whitt for two UNH would go to Providence and Amherst for two. Going to Merrimack for two is just weird.

I would think Umass, Providence, Vermont, Maine and Notre Dame would be the "play 2" crew. They are the schools farthest from the "center" (or would that be centroid) of the league.

Interesting non league schedule, with the highlights of Michigan, Union and UNO comming in for two each.

Leave a comment:

• WildShawn
    replied

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
    You'd think they would learn their lesson after you did this last year. You should be an investigative reporter
    maybe I am (Appears as if it's gone already, oops )

Leave a comment:

• GoUNH
    replied
    Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
    http://unhwildcats.com/sports/mice/2013-14/schedule
    UNH schedule for next year... Not officially announced but like last year it's on the website if you change the date from this last years schedule, and like last year, maybe they'll take it down until later, so just in case:

October
    11-Icebreaker vs Clarkson (at Minnesota)
    12-Icebreaker vs. Mercyhurst or Minnesota (at Minnesota)
    18-Michigan
    19-Michigan
    26-@RPI

November
    1-@UML
    2-UML
    8-UMass
    9-@UMass
    12-Brown
    15-@Northeastern
    16-Northeastern
    22-@Providence
    23-@Providence
    26-Harvard
    29-@Colorado College
    30-@Colorado College

December
    6-@Boston College
    7-Boston College
    28-vs Cornell (Florida Tournament)
    29-vs Princeton/Maine (Florida Tournament)

January
    3-Nebraska Omaha
    4-Nebraska Omaha
    11-Dartmouth (Verizon wireless arena)
    17-Union
    18-Union
    24-Maine
    26-@Maine
    31-Notre Dame

February
    1-Notre Dame
    7-Vermont
    8-Vermont
    14-Boston University
    15-@Boston University
    28-@Merrimack

March
    1-@Merrimack
    You'd think they would learn their lesson after you did this last year. You should be an investigative reporter

Leave a comment:

• WildShawn
    replied
    http://unhwildcats.com/sports/mice/2013-14/schedule
    UNH schedule for next year... Not officially announced but like last year it's on the website if you change the date from this last years schedule, and like last year, maybe they'll take it down until later, so just in case:

October
    11-Icebreaker vs Clarkson (at Minnesota)
    12-Icebreaker vs. Mercyhurst or Minnesota (at Minnesota)
    18-Michigan
    19-Michigan
    26-@RPI

November
    1-@UML
    2-UML
    8-UMass
    9-@UMass
    12-Brown
    15-@Northeastern
    16-Northeastern
    22-@Providence
    23-@Providence
    26-Harvard
    29-@Colorado College
    30-@Colorado College

December
    6-@Boston College
    7-Boston College
    28-vs Cornell (Florida Tournament)
    29-vs Princeton/Maine (Florida Tournament)

January
    3-Nebraska Omaha
    4-Nebraska Omaha
    11-Dartmouth (Verizon wireless arena)
    17-Union
    18-Union
    24-Maine
    26-@Maine
    31-Notre Dame

February
    1-Notre Dame
    7-Vermont
    8-Vermont
    14-Boston University
    15-@Boston University
    28-@Merrimack

March
    1-@Merrimack

Leave a comment:

• Darius
    replied

Heavy NCAA flavor on final NHL Central Scouting rankings:

http://www.uscho.com/2013/04/29/heav...ting-rankings/

Pesce ranked # 40, # 5 on list of college players.

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

But, do not shoot the messenger Darius, as the original postings from Colorado Springs and the UNH hockey page are at fault.

Leave a comment:

• Aerman
    replied

They can't spell "Baker" and you expect them to get the criteria right?

Leave a comment:

• smitre
    replied
    Huh?

Originally posted by Darius View Post
    As a senior, Butler was named a finalist for the Hobey Bakey Award, earned by the nation's top scoring hockey player in Division I. He recorded 29 goals on the year, finishing second in the nation.

Leave a comment:

• Darius
    replied

Former Men's Hockey Standout Bobby Butler Named to U.S. National Team

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Former University of New Hampshire men's hockey standout Bobby Butler will make his USA Hockey debut as he has been selected to the 2013 U.S. Men's National Team. USA Hockey announced the selection Thursday afternoon.

Currently with the Nashville Predators of the National Hockey League (NHL), Butler graduated from the UNH in 2010. During his career, he played in 153 games, recording 61 goals and 60 assists for 121 points. As a senior, Butler was named a finalist for the Hobey Bakey Award, earned by the nation's top scoring hockey player in Division I. He recorded 29 goals on the year, finishing second in the nation.

The Massachusetts native will begin competition with Team USA at the International Ice Hockey Federation Men's World Championship, taking place from May 3-19. The tournament will take place in Helsinki, Finland and Stockholm, Sweden.

http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mi...20130425fnse7j

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    You think he rooted for Yale in the FF?
    Given his track record, he's probably still making his mind up as we speak.

Leave a comment:

• Greg Ambrose
    replied

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Ii think that's an even better, more detailed explanation. I'd also forgotten the whole Eddie Caron mess. Probably on purpose.
    You think he rooted for Yale in the FF?

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

Originally posted by JB View Post
    Not an expert (and I didn't stay at a Holiday in Express last night)

My understanding is you used to get 4 years. You could apply for a hardship exemption for injury, military service, etc. Hardships were basically always granted to extend to a 4 in 5 situation. Some Universities (cough football cough) took advantage by claiming hardships to 'redshirt" freshman – “Dear NCAA he tweaked his hami real bad in preseason workouts and will need a whole year to rehab it honest.”

Eventually the NCAA said screw it when a player hasn't even played everybody gets 4 in 5 that is it, stop bothering us with this stupid stuff.

I don't believe you even need to "apply" for a redshirt it just happens. Academically ineligible skip the full year - 4 in 5. Go on a mission or studies abroad skip the full year - 4 in 5. Need to withdraw from school to take a year off for a family emergency - 4 in 5. Transfer and sit year in residence at the new school - 4 in 5. As long as you miss the entire year 4 in 5, and leave us alone.

Play just 1 game - break a leg, get called up by the military, family emergency etc. etc. Apply for a hardship (“redshirt”) to get the year back. There are rules typically it is less than 25% of the season. But I am fairly certain Spleeman played more than 25% of full year’s games, but the NCAA chose to grant the waver. The NCAA has been trying not to be so punitive to the current players because past programs were so dirty (see SMU football stupidity).

My memory is Ed Caron got a hardship waiver reference his transfer and transfer back. It wasn’t an additional year of playing time but a waiver to the sit out rule. Under the normal rules he would have had to sit 1 full at UNH when he came back. That would have been 3 semesters off the ice. But since he transferred back to the school where he started and his initial transfer was for academic considerations the NCAA waved the additional semester sitting out. (This is an example of the NCAA trying to be more accommodating to the athletes and that 18-24 year olds sometime don’t know what they want)
    Ii think that's an even better, more detailed explanation. I'd also forgotten the whole Eddie Caron mess. Probably on purpose.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
    The logic is it protects players and the teams. There are other rules in place governing hardship waivers due to injury...I believe you have to have played fewer than 25% of your teams games, and you can't have played after the end of the first semester in hockey. But for a player who gets hurt 5 games into the season and otherwise would have played 35 games, it gives them a level of protection. They can get the year they lost back, plus there is less incentive for player or team to try and rush someone back before they are potentially fully healthy just to try to get them to play in a couple games at the end of the year...which probably would happen a lot if there was no way to recapture that season. The teams also get the opportunity to bring back a player that they potentially wanted in the lineup. Win win.

In the situation with a guy like Quast, there were no outside forces impacting his ability to participate in contests. He was either good enough or he wasn't...and most of the time his coaches deemed he wasn't. I imagine he could have said to the coaches, "look I don't want to dress at all this year so I can keep my year of eligibility in tact" but the coaches also could have said thanks, now go find somewhere else to play.
    Appreciate the time and insight on this. I guess the only other question I have was the one Crazed brings up about having to declare as a frosh (as I believe to be the case in D-1 football) as opposed to declaring retroactively, which would presumably have to be the case now with Knodel.

Having put that out there, I'm guessing it's all a moot issue, as C-H-C has pointed out. But it's an interesting case study I suppose. Not too many players have fit this same pattern for their D-1 careers, as Knodel has.

Now for something completely different ... following up on felger's earlier thoughts, how in the H do you select a back-up goalie as an alternate captain?????

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied

Not an expert (and I didn't stay at a Holiday in Express last night)

My understanding is you used to get 4 years. You could apply for a hardship exemption for injury, military service, etc. Hardships were basically always granted to extend to a 4 in 5 situation. Some Universities (cough football cough) took advantage by claiming hardships to 'redshirt" freshman – “Dear NCAA he tweaked his hami real bad in preseason workouts and will need a whole year to rehab it honest.”

Eventually the NCAA said screw it when a player hasn't even played everybody gets 4 in 5 that is it, stop bothering us with this stupid stuff.

I don't believe you even need to "apply" for a redshirt it just happens. Academically ineligible skip the full year - 4 in 5. Go on a mission or studies abroad skip the full year - 4 in 5. Need to withdraw from school to take a year off for a family emergency - 4 in 5. Transfer and sit year in residence at the new school - 4 in 5. As long as you miss the entire year 4 in 5, and leave us alone.

Play just 1 game - break a leg, get called up by the military, family emergency etc. etc. Apply for a hardship (“redshirt”) to get the year back. There are rules typically it is less than 25% of the season. But I am fairly certain Spleeman played more than 25% of full year’s games, but the NCAA chose to grant the waver. The NCAA has been trying not to be so punitive to the current players because past programs were so dirty (see SMU football stupidity).

My memory is Ed Caron got a hardship waiver reference his transfer and transfer back. It wasn’t an additional year of playing time but a waiver to the sit out rule. Under the normal rules he would have had to sit 1 full at UNH when he came back. That would have been 3 semesters off the ice. But since he transferred back to the school where he started and his initial transfer was for academic considerations the NCAA waved the additional semester sitting out. (This is an example of the NCAA trying to be more accommodating to the athletes and that 18-24 year olds sometime don’t know what they want)

Leave a comment:

• C-H-C
    replied

It's possible that Eric Knodel's eligibility status will become irrelavant. The 2013-14 season could very well be his last with UNH because the Maple Leafs will want him to move on to their organization.

The same goes for TvR, although he does not yet have an official affiliation with an NHL team. Last summer, he participated in the Developmental Camps of Ottawa and Philadelphia. At the end of next season, there is likely to be a lot of pressure for TvR to sign an ATO contract.

Depending on which team drafts Brett Pesce in June, there could also be pressure for him to leave after the 2013-14 season.

There are 2 defensemen - Matias Cleland and Dylan Maller - targeting next fall as the time to enroll at UNH. Two more defensemen - Dylan Chanter and Cam Marks - are targeting the Fall of 2014. If Knodel, TvR and possibly Pesce leave after the 2013-14 season, UNH will need all four of these recruits to be prime contributors in the 2014-15 season.
    Last edited by C-H-C; 04-22-2013, 11:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X