X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sonar
    replied
    Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

The UNH Director of public relations indicates in today's Foster's that the response has been mainly positive ...
    How can that be ??? .... are any of the negative views getting through to the "central administration."

Leave a comment:

• scoreboard
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    I still think whatever modest uptick of dollars from a sports logo change would beat laying out not "tens of thousands" as I'd speculated earlier, but approx. $100K instead for the alleged "much-needed" university logo redesign.

http://www.unionleader.com/apps/pbcs...130519181&NL=1

"The president's Cabinet identified this project as overdue and crucial (really???) to not only recruiting efforts both in and out of the state but to the success of the next comprehensive campaign," university spokeswoman Erika Mantz said.

"We need to compete better nationally and internationally for students, and part of that is marketing," she said.

Mantz said the design firm Chermayeff & Geismar & Haviv, New York, is handling the redesign. The firm has "created identities for many institutions of higher education, including New York University, Middlebury College and Cornell University," she said.

Mantz said the school is looking to redesign the logo that features Thompson Hall. She said the tower "does not represent an institution with three campuses and many online offerings. It was created for the last comprehensive campaign and was not intended to be the university brand."

She said the university seal will undergo a redrawing to make it easier to produce, but it will not change. The school's athletic logo, featuring a wildcat, the school's mascot, will not change.

Mantz said the redesign is expected to cost between $91,400 and $108,200. She said the cost includes the development of the new logo, the redrawing of the seal and guidelines specifying how the marks can be used.

Not quite sure I follow the logic there fron start to finish, but I'm not sure "logic" and the top UNH admins live in the same universe anyway. Based on these comments, I'm expecting no more tower, but a four-slice pie chart which features a gavel and a laptop in two of the "slices". Good luck with that, Erika ...
    The quote from her about creating identities for NYU, Middlebury and Cornell is ridiculous. I dare say those schools earned their credibility and reputation well before they instituted a new logo. Marketing a university is not about a logo. Logos are important for Ralph Lauren polos and Nike sneakers. Not academic institutions.

Leave a comment:

• zoofer
    replied

Thanks Darius for stating the obvious....it has nothing to do with the sports logo....I just thought that the Cat's face logo was better then what the Know-it-alls in NY had proposed! And Greg, the Friends shut down the booth because they cannot compete with what is available online for price and variety. Heck, Dan gave up the Hockey East website so there's a lot more to it....

Leave a comment:

• Darius
    replied

It is not a sports logo change. The most it has to do with hockey is what is being written here.

Did anyone on this thread ever take a marketing course?

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    I doubt it. Last time UNH Hockey's popularity was at its peak. Not now. The fact that the Friend's concession booth has closed speaks volumes. From my observation, it is the player's parents, at least those who come to the games on a regular basis, who spent the money. I've got so much UNH Hockey gear, all purchased or given to me years ago, that I don't need to buy any more. I suppose I would be tempted to buy if the logo was changed but my guess is that I am in a distinct minority.
    I still think whatever modest uptick of dollars from a sports logo change would beat laying out not "tens of thousands" as I'd speculated earlier, but approx. $100K instead for the alleged "much-needed" university logo redesign.

http://www.unionleader.com/apps/pbcs...130519181&NL=1

"The president's Cabinet identified this project as overdue and crucial (really???) to not only recruiting efforts both in and out of the state but to the success of the next comprehensive campaign," university spokeswoman Erika Mantz said.

"We need to compete better nationally and internationally for students, and part of that is marketing," she said.

Mantz said the design firm Chermayeff & Geismar & Haviv, New York, is handling the redesign. The firm has "created identities for many institutions of higher education, including New York University, Middlebury College and Cornell University," she said.

Mantz said the school is looking to redesign the logo that features Thompson Hall. She said the tower "does not represent an institution with three campuses and many online offerings. It was created for the last comprehensive campaign and was not intended to be the university brand."

She said the university seal will undergo a redrawing to make it easier to produce, but it will not change. The school's athletic logo, featuring a wildcat, the school's mascot, will not change.

Mantz said the redesign is expected to cost between $91,400 and $108,200. She said the cost includes the development of the new logo, the redrawing of the seal and guidelines specifying how the marks can be used.

Not quite sure I follow the logic there fron start to finish, but I'm not sure "logic" and the top UNH admins live in the same universe anyway. Based on these comments, I'm expecting no more tower, but a four-slice pie chart which features a gavel and a laptop in two of the "slices". Good luck with that, Erika ...

Leave a comment:

• Greg Ambrose
    replied

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    At least it would be more honest, and probably more productive moneywise, too.
    I doubt it. Last time UNH Hockey's popularity was at its peak. Not now. The fact that the Friend's concession booth has closed speaks volumes. From my observation, it is the player's parents, at least those who come to the games on a regular basis, who spent the money. I've got so much UNH Hockey gear, all purchased or given to me years ago, that I don't need to buy any more. I suppose I would be tempted to buy if the logo was changed but my guess is that I am in a distinct minority.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    Reminds me of the furor over the UNH hockey script 10-12 years ago. If UNH had kept the classic lettering, would their recruiting have been better or worse that what came to be? I can't imagine lettering had any impact. Has it had an impact on merchandise sales? It certainly did in the short run. Not so much is in recent years. Maybe time to change the unis again
    At least it would be more honest, and probably more productive moneywise, too.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
    Seriously, I graduated from UNH 30 years and have no clue what the current logo is. A logo does not make the university. Building a solid reputation on your academic qualities is what makes the university. Does anybody really think a school logo plays a decision in an applicants choice of where to go?
    This one, exactly, right on the money. Substance over style.

Hardly shocking, however, considering the UNH institutional approach to the decade-long slow deterioration of the Men's Hockey program has been to baiscally "rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic". The drop in attendance has probably cost the University something approaching $5MM (maybe more?) in ticket sales alone in recent years. But in response, what do we get? Oh yeah - let's blame Concord, drop tens of thousands more on a spiffy new "much-needed" logo, and we'll "rebrand" and fool everyone into parting with extra funds via a clever marketing campaign.

It really does make you wonder if the folks in the top levels of administration in Durham are even the slightest bit in touch with the real world.

Plus ca change, plus c'est le meme chose (that's for you, Jacques!). See you guys again in September.

Leave a comment:

• Greg Ambrose
    replied

After looking at these logos, my first reaction is that they are pure vanilla. There is nothing that grabs you so that you say "wow, that is UNH!" Of course, I am not sure what difference it makes. And if it really doesn't, why not have a logo that makes highlights something that makes UNH distinctive? And why not the oldest building on campus?

I doubt if any prospective freshman, let alone student athlete, is going to make a decision on where to go based on a logo. For the average student my guess it would be course offerings, financial aid packages, and student life. For the average student-athlete, whose career is no doubt going to end at UNH, I think it would be the ability to play in a competitive program and obtain a decent education at the same time. For men's hockey and, perhaps, football, it is all those things and the possibility of a pro career. It seems to me logos would be down on the list.

Reminds me of the furor over the UNH hockey script 10-12 years ago. If UNH had kept the classic lettering, would their recruiting have been better or worse that what came to be? I can't imagine lettering had any impact. Has it had an impact on merchandise sales? It certainly did in the short run. Not so much is in recent years. Maybe time to change the unis again

Leave a comment:

• scoreboard
    replied
    Originally posted by SPCSMAN View Post
    Given the University finances, I hope they didn't spend any money having these logos developed. They could get better from and underfunded elementary school art class
    I got the email about the UNH logo contest too. I deleted it. Seriously, I graduated from UNH 30 years and have no clue what the current logo is. A logo does not make the university. Building a solid reputation on your academic qualities is what makes the university. Does anybody really think a school logo plays a decision in an applicants choice of where to go? I hope our new logo doesn't lose any blue chip hockey recruits.
    Last edited by scoreboard; 05-17-2013, 09:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SPCSMAN
    replied

Originally posted by Darius View Post
    Actually, there is a need. Given University finances, lack of State support, rising tuition and fees; UNH is embarking on a significant multi faceted marketing effort. The T-Hall logo does not project all that the University offers (Manchester, Law, on-line learning). More importantly, at least in my mind, the T-Hall logo does not render/resize well in some applications.

I'll miss the T-Hall logo as the image most associated with UNH. It will still be available for selective use. Perhaps it can be used for special accomplishments and announcements?
    Given the University finances, I hope they didn't spend any money having these logos developed. They could get better from and underfunded elementary school art class

Leave a comment:

• Nick Papagiorgio
    replied

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
    Nobody liked using the athletic logo, the Cat's face!
    No one likes Zuul.

Leave a comment:

• zoofer
    replied

Nobody liked using the athletic logo, the Cat's face!

Leave a comment:

• Verkligen
    replied

For what it's worth... As far as a logo goes... I think the use of the University seal is a heck of a lot better choice than either 3 options presented. (Also thinking about the old octogan shaped N-over-H.) *shrug*

Leave a comment:

• Darius
    replied

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
    On another front, given the D-1 Softball playoff layout, how is it we always talk about the hockey seedlings for the NCAAs and how money decides who plays whom, when they have some 32 teams playing all over the place! Seems a bit lopsided no?
    A difference is that all games prior to the WCWS are on campuses.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X