Fire Dick Umile!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fire Dick Umile!!!!!

Dries' penalty came late in the 2nd OT and led to the game-winner, not the tying goal. Well Dries' penalty was stupid and definitely a penalty, it came not long after the officials decided to let the boys play in front of the BC net...

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/p...emplate=photos
    Last edited by Dan; 03-19-2013, 10:13 AM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

Maybe this puts a different spin on things ... what is the financial impact of the recent downturn in performance (and interest) in UNH Hockey? For a program that used to take a lot of pride in constant sell-outs with a long waiting list for season tickets, there are rarely sell-outs nowadays, and the waiting list is gone. I don't have exact numbers here, but let's use some round figures, on which I'll try to err in the University's favor where appropriate:

* Attendance on average looks to be reported at 90% of capacity. Based on observations when I'm there, that seems kind of high, but even if we assume 600 or so tickets don't get sold that used to get sold only a few seasons ago, at roughly $25.00 per person, then that costs the school/athletics department $15,000 per game, including lost concessions and/or parking revenue. I suspect the number is higher than that, but let's just roll with that for now. Over a typical 18-20 game home schedule, that projects out to a downturn in revenue of roughly $250,000-$300,000 over the course of the regular season alone;

* Until last year, it seemed like 2-3 additional home games for the HE quarterfinals were a given. Attendance would be funky since this usually coincides with the students' Spring break. But let's say 4,000 attendance would be the norm. Lost revenue for not playing the QF's at home would be $200,000-$300,000.

* Not sure what the financial gains (if any?) might be for the four schools who make it to Boston for the HE Semis and Finals.

But just looking at the very rough math on the economic impacts of the recent drop-offs, I don't think it's difficult to conclude there is an impact at least in the half-million dollar range per season. And for a school like UNH where there are very few revenue producing sports (arguably, this one), that's gotta hurt. A lot.

----------------------

Beyond that ... I'm still not quite sure what keeps Coach Umile coming back for more at this point? I'm sure he wants to prove his doubters wrong, earn himself some personal vindication, but you could say that for the last ten years, and at least back in 2003 there was plenty of reason and hope that UNH wasn't too far away from the top of the top. I don't think any of us can say that with a straight face anymore.

Is Coach Umile doing it for the money? After making increasingly good money over the last 23 years as one of (if not THE) best-paid State of NH employees, I hope for his sake the answer is "no". The benefits he'll receive when he retires should be better than most of us enjoy, too. I'm not begrudging him any of this, it's his life and his job, he has worked hard, and by most anyone's definition of the term "successful career" he has certainly enjoyed one.

But if he steps outside of his own shoes, and looks at where his program - his alma mater's program - is nowadays, he HAS to see most of what we're seeing.

I for one would not be surprised to see Coach Umile step down (of his own accord) if not at the end of this season, then possibly after next season. JMHO.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

C'mon guys. You should all support your coach whole heartedly like Sandie does for Timmay. Why question his coaching ability? Just close your eyes and be good fans.
        sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Until last year, it seemed like 2-3 additional home games for the HE quarterfinals were a given. Attendance would be funky since this usually coincides with the students' Spring break. But let's say 4,000 attendance would be the norm. Lost revenue for not playing the QF's at home would be $200,000-$300,000.
          Chuck, I think the league gets most of the gate, if not all of it, for the QFs since it is part of the league tournament.

Anway, there is a counterpoint here. Dick Umile not winning championships saves UNH some money as well. Do you have any idea how much money it costs to put on a championship celebration with a police detail, security, etc? Not to mention that Umile is saving the school a lot of money by keeping them from having to construct a trophy case. Then you have to consider the money they would lose inevitably with all those championship shirts that get printed and then put on massive clearance after the excess batch sits on shelves for a long time.

If he could just get them back to being a fun team to watch with some talent (Krog... sorta), he could fill up a lot of the seats and get some of the money back and have UNH right in the sweet spot of not having to spend all that money that comes with winning a championship. Just like the good old days when WIS stories were being churned out and TA Jen would go nuts over anything you typed even if it looked like this "asdfj;kjq;lwkejf;alsdkfalsdjkf".
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Hey, leave chuck alone. At least he's not writing 3 page essays anymore...please.
            sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              I for one would not be surprised to see Coach Umile step down (of his own accord) if not at the end of this season, then possibly after next season. JMHO.
              The same thought occurred to me just after Jack Parker announced his retirement. Why is he still coaching? I suspect it's not the money, but the brass ring that he has come so close to grasping to no avail. That said, most jobs don't get easier as one gets older, and the prospect of a long and comfortable retirement becomes increasingly favorable.

Umile has to have been thinking all season that if ever there were a year that UNH could win it all, this may be (or have been) the one. Given BC's slight downturn, BU's and Maine's struggles, the fact that several of the "bottom six" teams are very young, coupled with UNH's good start and (what should have been) an easy late season schedule for the 'Cats, I'd bet he was thinking that UNH would easily find its way to the top of HE for the regular season, and a string of victories would propel them to the HE championship, and then to Manchester, and perhaps on to Pittsburgh. I'd say that's why so many of us UNH fans felt confident that maybe we could get back to the FF this year -- most everything was lined up to help that happen (except the lineup, apparently.)

If UNH indeed loses in Manchester, then it wouldn't surprise me to see an announcement -- this year or next. Will Whitehead's fate play into the decision, as there will be one confirmed vacancy in the HE coaching ranks at the end of BU's season?
              We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
              ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
              --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by nick papagiorgio View Post
                chuck, i think the league gets most of the gate, if not all of it, for the qfs since it is part of the league tournament.

Anway, there is a counterpoint here. Dick umile not winning championships saves unh some money as well. Do you have any idea how much money it costs to put on a championship celebration with a police detail, security, etc? Not to mention that umile is saving the school a lot of money by keeping them from having to construct a trophy case. Then you have to consider the money they would lose inevitably with all those championship shirts that get printed and then put on massive clearance after the excess batch sits on shelves for a long time.

If he could just get them back to being a fun team to watch with some talent (krog... Sorta), he could fill up a lot of the seats and get some of the money back and have unh right in the sweet spot of not having to spend all that money that comes with winning a championship. Just like the good old days when wis stories were being churned out and ta jen would go nuts over anything you typed even if it looked like this "asdfj;kjq;lwkejf;alsdkfalsdjkf".
                love it , we could also save lots by shuting down the whitt early, just think of the money they could save . They could practice outside where they once did decades ago . Just think of the man hrs and electricity to keep the whitt operational. This could be done every year , we could institute a deadline each year when rink closes ( two weeks before hockey east championchips).

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                  The same thought occurred to me just after Jack Parker announced his retirement. Why is he still coaching? I suspect it's not the money, but the brass ring that he has come so close to grasping to no avail. That said, most jobs don't get easier as one gets older, and the prospect of a long and comfortable retirement becomes increasingly favorable.

Umile has to have been thinking all season that if ever there were a year that UNH could win it all, this may be (or have been) the one. Given BC's slight downturn, BU's and Maine's struggles, the fact that several of the "bottom six" teams are very young, coupled with UNH's good start and (what should have been) an easy late season schedule for the 'Cats, I'd bet he was thinking that UNH would easily find its way to the top of HE for the regular season, and a string of victories would propel them to the HE championship, and then to Manchester, and perhaps on to Pittsburgh. I'd say that's why so many of us UNH fans felt confident that maybe we could get back to the FF this year -- most everything was lined up to help that happen (except the lineup, apparently.)

If UNH indeed loses in Manchester, then it wouldn't surprise me to see an announcement -- this year or next. Will Whitehead's fate play into the decision, as there will be one confirmed vacancy in the HE coaching ranks at the end of BU's season?
                  I think there will be a rash of coaching vacancies in a relatively short period of time. And all from the "Big 4" schools. Im guessing in 2 years the big 4 will have 4 new coaches. Write it down , you heard it here first.
                  sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    Anway, there is a counterpoint here. Dick Umile not winning championships saves UNH some money as well. Do you have any idea how much money it costs to put on a championship celebration with a police detail, security, etc? Not to mention that Umile is saving the school a lot of money by keeping them from having to construct a trophy case. Then you have to consider the money they would lose inevitably with all those championship shirts that get printed and then put on massive clearance after the excess batch sits on shelves for a long time.
                    There IS a trophy case, but it looks like someone bought it at an IKEA or something.

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    If he could just get them back to being a fun team to watch with some talent (Krog... sorta), he could fill up a lot of the seats and get some of the money back and have UNH right in the sweet spot of not having to spend all that money that comes with winning a championship. Just like the good old days when WIS stories were being churned out and TA Jen would go nuts over anything you typed even if it looked like this "asdfj;kjq;lwkejf;alsdkfalsdjkf".
                    Hey, that was some of my best work - no need to be jealous!!!!!! pwrr gzzzzzi rotflmfao pbbbbt
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      Dries' penalty came late in the 2nd OT and led to the game-winner, not the tying goal. Well Dries' penalty was stupid and definitely a penalty, it came not long after the officials decided to let the boys play in front of the BC net...

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/p...emplate=photos
                      Thanks for correction. It all gets blurrier and blurrier ever faster in my rear-view mirror.

As for the pic, I suppose Danny was lucky not to get called for an embellishment penalty.
                      Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

scoreboard................it is what it is - any port in a storm - you can't cry over spilled milk - etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Alright, here's a question just for entertainment value only. Assuming that someday Richard decides to retire and go play golf with Jack Parker, spend time with his grand kids, travel, or whatever, who would you like to see take over the role of head coach? Someone associated with the program right now? Tortorella? Borek? Or someone that brings in new blood. Maybe a former UNH player? Any thoughts? It's fantasy coach hiring so let 'er rip....

I know this is nuts because he'd take a big paycut I'm sure and he's got a great gig already, but one Andy Brickley would look great behind the bench at the Whitt. Like I said, this is from the land of unicorns and candy rainbows, so let yourself float on a cotton candy cloud and put forth. Discuss....

Comment

Originally posted by skyraider0609 View Post
                            Alright, here's a question just for entertainment value only. Assuming that someday Richard decides to retire and go play golf with Jack Parker, spend time with his grand kids, travel, or whatever, who would you like to see take over the role of head coach? Someone associated with the program right now? Tortorella? Borek? Or someone that brings in new blood. Maybe a former UNH player? Any thoughts? It's fantasy coach hiring so let 'er rip....

I know this is nuts because he'd take a big paycut I'm sure and he's got a great gig already, but one Andy Brickley would look great behind the bench at the Whitt. Like I said, this is from the land of unicorns and candy rainbows, so let yourself float on a cotton candy cloud and put forth. Discuss....
                            Who was the former player that NESN had as a talking head last season? I recall he was coaching prep hockey, and we all speculated as to his aptitude.
                            Hit Somebody!

Comment

Originally posted by skyraider0609 View Post

Jim Montgomery
                              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Umileated View Post
                                Who was the former player that NESN had as a talking head last season? I recall he was coaching prep hockey, and we all speculated as to his aptitude.
                                Josh Ciocco did some stuff with nesn, and I think he was also coaching at a local high school...

Comment

Working...
                                X