Fire Dick Umile!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fire Dick Umile!!!!!

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. Dick Umile may be the nicest guy in the world but he's a terrible coach. Stop going to games and see how quickly he gets turfed. I happen to like the UNH fans that I've met, so for your own good start agitating loudly and proudly for his immediate dismissal.

I've seen the same excuse making over at my school when an older coach has lost his fastball. First the quality of players goes downhill. Then post season success becomes non-existent. At that point posters start playing the "oh we can't compete" card, which makes no sense. If Maine and Denver can win titles, and Ferris St, Vermont, etc can make the FF, then so too can UNH with a good facility, lots of fan support and being located not that far from civilization (the Boston metro area). Nothing Umile has done earns him a lifelong tenure at that job. Time to show him the door, politely but firmly.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
      Umile will go when Umile wants to go, for better or for worse. If there's a hockey coach the University should fire you are looking at the wrong program- it's on the women's side: they had never had a sub .500 season in their history, McCloskey has now led them to 3 straight. Scarano, in just his second year on the job, fired previous coach Karen Kay for less, .500 & .597 in her last two years, and Kay was four years removed from a national title & three years removed from nearly notching a second (lost in OT).
      Agreed
      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

You know what will happen if (or when) Umile gets canned... he will win the NCAA championship with another team in his first or second year.

Regardless, I think the whole program should be shaken up. If they are one of the few teams that have Olympic sized ice, you can look at it as an advantage or disadvantage because they play just as many games on NHL sized ice. Sure you can put up cones to practice but it's just not the same.

Comment

I do agree about the general consensus... the recruiting power is just not there. Perhaps McCloskey can go back to assisting for the men's team.

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
            Umile will go when Umile wants to go, for better or for worse. If there's a hockey coach the University should fire you are looking at the wrong program- it's on the women's side: they had never had a sub .500 season in their history, McCloskey has now led them to 3 straight. Scarano, in just his second year on the job, fired previous coach Karen Kay for less, .500 & .597 in her last two years, and Kay was four years removed from a national title & three years removed from nearly notching a second (lost in OT).
            I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by changecomesfromwithin View Post
              You know what will happen if (or when) Umile gets canned... he will win the NCAA championship with another team in his first or second year.
              Holy cow, are you serious?? What D-1 school is going to hire a 65 yr. old coach to lead them to the promised land, when said same coach has just spent the last 23 yrs. trying (and failing) to do that at his alma mater?? I'm sure BU has him right at the top of their list to replace Coach Parker as we speak ...
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Remove a constant from a statistical formula and the the results change. Not exactly higher order math ......

Comment

I would take him as a coach.
                  #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                    ditto

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                      The last time UMass-Amherst courted Coach Umile (at least publicly?) was back when UNH was still a rising program, Coach Umile was in his late 40's/early 50's, and those events set in motion the chain of events that saw UNH upgrade his pay, which culminated eventually with the purported "lifetime contract".

I don't see a relocation to another program being part of Coach Umile's exit strategy from D-1 hockey - even if he is "pushed". As others have already mentioned, for better or worse, I think he is ours until he decides he's done. Likewise, I doubt Coach Parker is going to be eyeing any vacant HE jobs anytime soon ...
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I have been a season ticket holder since the Whit opened, and have seen significant regression in UNH's recruiting ability and talent development. These areas are clearly the coach's responsibility. The Olympic size ice gives them such an incredible home ice advantage, that a monkey behind the bench could have a significant home winning record each year!!! Umile's time should be over now, or else this program will continue to disappoint us :-( It has been 10 years since they made it to a frozen four- enough is enough!!

Comment

Serious question here... Do you think their NCAA violations have anything to do with the recent talent pool? I believe part of their self imposed sanctions were that they could not commit any of the kids that had recieved the inadvertant emails?

Comment

Greg Cronin; Former of NU, now Toronto in the NHL, considers Umile a great coach, but what does he know?

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
                              Serious question here... Do you think their NCAA violations have anything to do with the recent talent pool? I believe part of their self imposed sanctions were that they could not commit any of the kids that had recieved the inadvertant emails?
                              no

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                                no
                                Well that clears it up. Thanks. I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X