Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fire Dick Umile!!!!!

Originally posted by Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau View Post
    Da nexte time you feel bad bout posting here? Juste skip it, we'll be ok mon ami, I promising.
    Don't feel bad at all, just mostly don't have anything to add. Appreciate the Français de pigeon though.
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
      So the head coach had nothing to do with the recruiting deficit, or the transfers? A pregnancy and the goaltenders was causal?
      From what I've heard, there were a number of factors that impacted recruiting that hit all around the same time.

I've heard allegations of negative recruiting from competing schools. Much of these allegations have come from the Minnesota folk on the boards, many who have expressed issues with McCloskey, based on what they hear around the rinks, etc.

From the Ontario folk, I've heard that Hockey Canada has actively steered recruits away from UNH. This allegedly stems from the first Frozen Fenway game, when Kelly Paton and Courtney Birchard chose to play there instead of with the U-22s in the Four Nations tournament. HC supposedly blames McCloskey. The biggest name I've heard referenced is Marie-Philip Poulin, who ended up at BU, and was an Olympian as a high schooler.

It would seem that the women's team, as has been alleged of the men, has had problems with the Admissions dept. Specifically, I have heard of a national team caliber goalie recruit who was denied admission (heard from someone close to the team at which she landed), necessitating a late offer to another player. Like the men (Stafford, Charlebois), the women has had a couple girls become academically ineligible, so perhaps this is part of the reason for Admission's tighter standards.

And lastly, while many have mention McCloskey's British Columbia connections in regards to recruiting, those don't help much in the women's game. Most of the top Canadian players come from Ontario and to a lesser extent, Quebec.

Regardless of the reason, it almost seems as if the well is poisoned. And if that is true, I wonder if it can be fixed. At least Jamie Wood brings some Minnesota connections with him.
      113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

I have read a lot of these posts and I hope mine brings a different perspective of why he can't coach. I believe this years team was very good and could have made a championship run if not for the ineptitude of the coaching. Lets start at the beginning of the season and work our way towards the end. You graduated one senior from the first line last year (Moses) and had a second line that started playing better towards the end of the year. Rather than inserting one new guy with the first line you break up the line all together and create a whole new first line with neither of the two from last year (Goumas & Sorkin). Besides for the first two games this year against St. Cloud you first line slumped early. Your second line was on a roll with Block and Goumas having a good chemistry, rather than trying to add to that line and making your clear number one you decide to move Block up a line and well that was the end of his season, despite the fact that he plays hard every shift. So now you have a new first line that still is not a dominant first line and a second line with your leading scorer (Goumas) who is playing with a different cast of line mates almost every single game. Its no one wonder they went downhill after thanksgiving it was inevitable. Did anyone else notice all season long that the top two offensive point scorers (Downing & Goumas) played the penalty kill together, 4 on 4's together, poweplays together, but only played in one game in which they had a regular shift together.. Ooo and by the way in that game they had three goals.. Nice job way to break that line up after one game... What kind of coach doesn't have set lines going into the HE tournament.. and also I know Sorkin got hurt this year but really a first line player the year before is now on your fourth line, how does that happen.. They crushed teams early on because there talent was just better and watching this team made me realize that talent is useless if u don't have a coach who knows what to do with it

Comment

It is not about throwing anyone under the bus.. Teams like U-Mass lowell gets a new coach makes the frozen four, providence fairly new coach beats us in the first round, BC always good, BU always good... The days of relying on the name on the front of the jersey are gone.. you need someone who can both recruit, (which as of late has not been bad) and know how to get the max our of those recruits (which if you look at the 23 year body of work, it has never been done despite many talented teams)... At what point do you stop look at the big picture and say its not the players..

Comment

925 days since this was last discussed....do we want to wait another 925 days until "the retirement party??
            UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
              It is not about throwing anyone under the bus.. Teams like U-Mass lowell gets a new coach makes the frozen four twice, providence new coach wins D-1 title, BC always good, BU always good... The days of relying on the name on the front of the jersey are gone.. you need someone who can both recruit, (which as of late has not been bad) and know how to get the max our of those recruits (which if you look at the 23 year body of work, it has never been done despite many talented teams)... At what point do you stop look at the big picture and say its not the players..
              Not going to elaborate further here ... but did feel the urge to update Frank's 2013 post for posterity.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                925 days since this was last discussed....do we want to wait another 925 days until "the retirement party??
                I thought it was agreed, March 17th 2018. UNH loses 1-0 to Lowell in the Hockey East Championship after UNH has a mediocre season, and announces right before Hockey East Playoffs he will be retiring, the team goes on a magical run, the students make an "I Believe in Dick Umile" sign, then UNH runs into a freshman phenom goalie for Lowell. Thus another of hockey east coaching royalty falls to Norm Bazin.
                BS UMass Lowell 2015
                PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                  I thought it was agreed, March 17th 2018. UNH loses 1-0 to Lowell in the Hockey East Championship after UNH has a mediocre season, and announces right before Hockey East Playoffs he will be retiring, the team goes on a magical run, the students make an "I Believe in Dick Umile" sign, then UNH runs into a freshman phenom goalie for Lowell. Thus another of hockey east coaching royalty falls to Norm Bazin.
                  Listen, I'm a fan and hope he gets to finish his contract ... but you may be overstating Coach Umile's station in HE. He's basically won one (1) more HE title than Paul Pooley. And Bazin has already matched him in less than a quarter of their respective times in charge.
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    Now is the time for a change. If I'm the AD, I'm looking to get the Penticton (BCHL) coach to sign on for next season...
                    Last edited by Dan; 11-07-2015, 09:16 PM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Fire him? He needs to get to 600. If that takes three, four, even five years, we need to stick it out. Lots of programs turn the corner with a 67 year old leader to inspire 16 year old boys.

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      Now is the time for a change. If I'm the AD, I'm looking to get the Penticton (BCHL) coach to sign on for next season...
                      If you're the AD we're not in this position of bogging the program down for the three year extension.
                      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 11-08-2015, 07:35 AM.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau View Post
                        Da nexte time you feel bad bout posting here? Juste skip it, we'll be ok mon ami, I promising.

A ockey coach upset ovure da loss? I nevure erd of dat. Oo want dat kind of ting? (Et I no Dicks NEVURE pulled de nutty, eh?)

I gonna tell you, he playeurs get betture ovure zee course of day year, one. Zay play smarte et adjuste to fit zee sichuashun, sichuashual awarenees dat 2. Et zey coming to play when eet count mon ami I gonna promise you zat, dey not laying zee turde in da playoff zay gonna bring it, dat tree.
                        Hey, Rabbit, time for you to reappear from the proverbial hat, eh?

Comment

What gives... Dick is undefeated right now in Hockey East. The all-important regular season title is still within reach.
                          Originally posted by reBlur
                          the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Working...
                          X