Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine @ New Hampshire

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
    . But I have faith, because Austin Block insists they are in pursuit of a national championship. Go team.
    This year looks like they could have a chance, doesn't seem to be any great teams in the East, Lowell might be the best, Quin. EZAC nuff said, so why not UNH? One thing for sure, it won't be Maine
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      This year looks like they could have a chance, doesn't seem to be any great teams in the East, Lowell might be the best, Quin. EZAC nuff said, so why not UNH? One thing for sure, it won't be Maine
      It used to be Plymouth State...'what the heck, why not Joe Dudek?"

We could start one: "what the heck, why not UNH?"
      sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
        It used to be Plymouth State...'what the heck, why not Joe Dudek?"

We could start one: "what the heck, why not UNH?"
        Speaking of Joe Dudek, his son committed to BC hockey a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
          Yes, I had heard that earlier. Maybe he'll someday win the Heisman Hobey.
          sure why not

Comment

I know people who have worked with Dudek. Not highly thought of.

For the record, TIMMAY's right, Maine has 8 wins. You should be proud of that TIMMAY, that you've sucked less than Umile since Christmas. I know I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy inside.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
              went to school with him at plymouth , seems like yesterday he was on cover of sports illust..something happened he couldnt even stand on the ice ... did score two touchdowns with Broncos on Monday night football in the scab game.

Comment

This thread is dying on the vine. Come on UHNers aren't you fired up to whoop up on Maine this weekend. You couldn't ask for two better cupcake games to claim you Reg season title. Flame on!!

Comment

We've not seized the opportunity several big/must/control destiny win weekends in a row. No cupcakes for this year's 'cats.
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                    This thread is dying on the vine. Come on UHNers aren't you fired up to whoop up on Maine this weekend. You couldn't ask for two better cupcake games to claim you Reg season title. Flame on!!
                    I don't see these as cupcake games at all. Maine always plays UNH tough, and are usually in it until the end against us (well, not so much the first game this year .) The fact that Maine is 0-9 at the Whitt since 2005 suggests that the Bears are due to break the string of losses. Both teams have had good games and not-so-good games of late. Maine has something to play for (as does UNH,) so I expect a couple close games, and I typically predict splits in these situations. I'd be ecstatic if we do in fact "whoop it up on Maine this weekend", and would be happy if we get 3 out of 4, but I somehow don't see a tie in either game -- maybe an OT win, one way or the other.

And as for the title, that's less important to me than playing well. If we play well, but UML ends up winning the RS, that's OK, and good for them. I'd much rather see UNH play with grit, consistency and hunger, and make it to the HE Finals in 2 weeks, RS title or not.
                    We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                    ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                    --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                      The fact that Maine is 0-9 at the Whitt since 2005 suggests that the Bears are due to break the string of losses.
                      Wow, now there's a great misuse of statistics!

But I agree with the rest of your post; UNH has been very erratic since Christmas (the usual case for the Cats; great to Christmas, mediocre thereafter), and Maine has been improving. If this Wildcat team is to do anything in the post-season, they need to more consistently play tight defense and make better decisions. They certainly do not look like a championship team, or a #4 in the country team at this point. Maybe Herion is finally hitting his stride and will lead them into the play-offs.
                      Go Cats
                      Former HEA Champions

Comment

Originally posted by catsfan View Post
                        Wow, now there's a great misuse of statistics!

But I agree with the rest of your post; UNH has been very erratic since Christmas (the usual case for the Cats; great to Christmas, mediocre thereafter), and Maine has been improving. If this Wildcat team is to do anything in the post-season, they need to more consistently play tight defense and make better decisions. They certainly do not look like a championship team, or a #4 in the country team at this point. Maybe Herion is finally hitting his stride and will lead them into the play-offs.
                        Was the law of averages repealed?

I've never had a class in statistics (thank goodness -- I suffered enough when my wife took it!) but what's the famous quote about "lies, ****ed lies and statistics"?
                        We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                        ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                        --Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                          Was the law of averages repealed?
                          Yeah, it is not the law of averages; think of it this way, if something happens over and over again (e.g. Maine losing at the Whit) there is likely an underlying reason, like Maine's game does not translate well to a large sheet of ice, whiting-out the Whit actually works, the UNH fans get up for the game and this inspires the players, whatever. But because of that advantage, which is demonstrated by the long-term win streak, it is even less likely that Maine will win than if we were playing a team like BU which seems to play well at the Whit. Having a long-term losing streak means you are more likely to lose, having a long-term winning streak means that you are more likely to win; everything isn't 50-50.

Consider the Red Sox playing Boston College in baseball (an extreme example to make the point); the fact that the Red Sox always win does not mean that it is likely that Boston College will win next time.

Where this mistake is often made is in baseball; if a batter is on a long hitless streak the announcer will often say "he's due". In fact, when a batter is on a long-term hitless streak there is probably an underlying reason; he has mechanical issues, he has lost his confidence, he has trouble in his personal life, whatever. This statement used to bother a statistics professor of mine so he did the math on professional baseball and found that unsurprisingly, when a batter is on a difficult streak he is less likely than average to get a hit at his next at-bat. Eventually he gets a hit, of course.

And I agree with the quote about "lies, ****ed lies and statistics" .
                          Go Cats
                          Former HEA Champions

Comment

Originally posted by catsfan View Post
                            Yeah, it is not the law of averages; think of it this way, if something happens over and over again (e.g. Maine losing at the Whit) there is likely an underlying reason, like Maine's game does not translate well to a large sheet of ice, whiting-out the Whit actually works, the UNH fans get up for the game and this inspires the players, whatever. But because of that advantage, which is demonstrated by the long-term win streak, it is even less likely that Maine will win than if we were playing a team like BU which seems to play well at the Whit. Having a long-term losing streak means you are more likely to lose, having a long-term winning streak means that you are more likely to win; everything isn't 50-50.

Consider the Red Sox playing Boston College in baseball (an extreme example to make the point); the fact that the Red Sox always win does not mean that it is likely that Boston College will win next time...
                            Since I have no training in statistics, I may be tilting at windmills by refuting at least part of what you said, but here goes:
                            If any or all of those underlying reasons in your first paragraph remain unchanged, then sure: as the Chinese Proverb says, "Unless we change our direction, we are likely to end up where we are headed." However, despite what Maine fans may declare to the contrary, I think it's likely that TW has prepared his team for tonight's game, knowing they need the points. (Caveat: if Maine players have the collective mindset that they cannot win at the Whitt, then that's a different matter, but I seriously doubt that is true.) To me, this game is completely independent of any of the previous games vis a vis any streak (different teams, different players, different circumstances regarding playoff positioning -- especially considering the fact that this is the latest we have played a 2-game home series against Maine since when: forever?)Going by the "on any given night..." point of view, UNH is no more likely to win than if there were no streak, in my opinion. (Of course, I'd prefer that you were proved correct this weekend.)

As to the Red Sox vs BC, that's more apples and oranges, isn't it? It's equally unlikely that BC would beat the Red Sox under any scenario, unless the talent/experience differences were minimized.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to being at the Whitt tonight (my first time there since maybe early January,) and I do agree with your signature: GO CATS!
                            ---Blaise Pascal

--Richard Dawkins

Comment

Past success / failure does not translate into future success / failure in sports.

Hate when people say, "the Celtics can't win a championship as a #7. No #7 can win the championship."

The Celtics playoff success is not determined by their seeding; their seeding is based on their lack or regular season success. There 6 teams with a better record, that arguable won more because because they have more talent. A #7 seed doesn't often win, not because of their ranking, but because they've already shown they lacked the ability to win often enough to put them as a #7 seed.

(I know the playoffs don't start today. This was a discussion I heard a few days ago on the radio, and it bugged me).

The same can be applied to any sports situation. Maine does not win / lose tonight because they won / lost last year, or the year before that. They will win / lose because they don't play well enough, which can be affected by many statistics / factors - crowd noise, goalie, play etc. An argument could be made that they will play nervous because of the history - but to me, it's TIMMAYs job to teach them overcome that.
                              I haven't been on here in a year...
                              Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                                I dont feel like these are cupcake games at all. Maine has looked tough to beat lately.

Comment

Working...
                                X