Maine @ New Hampshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    What is going on with UNH's attendance? The games I've seen on tv it looks pretty empty.
    Per Hockey East's website UNH's average attendance this season is 5,390 (capacity: 6,501); 2nd highest in the league after BC. Maine's average attendance is 4,201 (capacity:5,641); 5th and just 10 people per game ahead of UMass at 6th.

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...3/oaattend.php
    Last edited by ClOuD 9; 03-05-2013, 01:45 AM.
    "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
      Per Hockey East's website UNH's average attendance this season is 5,390 (capacity: 6,501); 2nd highest in the league after BC. Maine's average attendance is 4,201 (capacity:5,641); 5th and just 10 people per game ahead of UMass at 6th.

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...3/oaattend.php
      Those numbers are rubbish. There is no way Maine is anywhere near 4,200 a game and from what I've seen on tv UNH is a lot less than 5,400.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Re: Maine @ New Hampshire

Those numbers are rubbish. There is no way Maine is anywhere near 4,200 a game and from what I've seen on tv UNH is a lot less than 5,400.
        Agreed...as someone who has been in the Whitt for games this year, those might be tickets "sold" but they don't reflect the actual presence at the games
        UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

It's the old tickets sold not actual butts in the seats trick.

Comment

What is going on with UNH's attendance? The games I've seen on tv it looks pretty empty.
            UNH has been putting the screws to season ticket holders for quite a while now. It had started to catch up with them recently and the bad year the team had last year has really had an effect on attendance this year. I had season tickets for many years and we decided to drop them before this season. Looks like my friends and I weren't the only ones to make that choice. The poor performance of the team last year was a small factor for us, but in reality STHs have been treated like "suckers" for a while now.

Since the days of the "every game, automatic sell-out" are long gone, UNH started offering discounts/buy-one get one 1/2 off sorts of promotions on tickets to some games - STHs pay full price, guy who goes to one game a year gets a deal. They continue to put games in Manchester, games that STHs are forced to buy at full price - then months later they start selling tickets to the general public at about 1/2 of what I paid and gave them food vouchers along with the tickets. Also not a fan of having to pay full price for mid-season exhibition games.
            Are you guys brothers?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              You are correct, as UNH won 4-2 at the Verizon the night before Lawson kicked in the 3-2 game winner with 7 seconds left in OT at Lake Whitt. Maine won the regular season series that year, with a 2-1 OT win in Orono earlier in the season.
              Ya cannot kick it if you are on one skate, leaning into a defender and not changing direction
              Hendrickson

Comment

.........I'm pretty sure the last time Maine won was when Lucas Lawson kicked the puck in right at the death.
                According to Larry (Bangor Daily News), the last time Maine won at the Whittemore Center was 2005. Maine won 3-1, with Ryan scoring two goals and Jimmy Howard making 28 saves.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned Braden View Post
                  UNH has been putting the screws to season ticket holders for quite a while now. It had started to catch up with them recently and the bad year the team had last year has really had an effect on attendance this year. I had season tickets for many years and we decided to drop them before this season. Looks like my friends and I weren't the only ones to make that choice. The poor performance of the team last year was a small factor for us, but in reality STHs have been treated like "suckers" for a while now.

Since the days of the "every game, automatic sell-out" are long gone, UNH started offering discounts/buy-one get one 1/2 off sorts of promotions on tickets to some games - STHs pay full price, guy who goes to one game a year gets a deal. They continue to put games in Manchester, games that STHs are forced to buy at full price - then months later they start selling tickets to the general public at about 1/2 of what I paid and gave them food vouchers along with the tickets. Also not a fan of having to pay full price for mid-season exhibition games.
                  For what it's worth, I have a friend in NH who has the same take as you concerning dropping attendance at the Whittemore Center. He gave up his tickets also.

Comment

You are correct, as UNH won 4-2 at the Verizon the night before Lawson kicked in the 3-2 game winner with 7 seconds left in OT at Lake Whitt. Maine won the regular season series that year, with a 2-1 OT win in Orono earlier in the season.
                    I remember that game when Lawson kicked it in. What year was that again?

I miss the days when Maine used to cheat regularly (and usually get away with it).
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I saw a likely drunk Scott Darling get a 1-0 shutout vs UNH in Manchester while I was still an undergrad at Umaine in 2009...I didn't realize they had been controlled by the Wildcats at home so well for the past almost 10 years. This will be a weekend of Maine glory, Diamond, Anthoine, Rutt all ready for multi point weekends prep your fridge with beers and lets get it!

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that. I feel like Maine, BU, and UNH have all done a horrible job with their ticketing the last few years. I think for a decent amount of people it isn't even an affordability issue, they just feel like they are being taken advantage of.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that. I feel like Maine, BU, and UNH have all done a horrible job with their ticketing the last few years. I think for a decent amount of people it isn't even an affordability issue, they just feel like they are being taken advantage of.
                          Feel like? With Whitehead coaching, its a definite
                          sure why not

Comment

My bad. In my mind's eye, I see it happening at the Verizon -- I attended both games. (I guess my mind's eye needs some sort of vision correction!!!)

Anyway, this I do remember correctly: a friend of mine is a Maine fan, and he knew the Lawson family somehow. He had occasion to ask Luke if he kicked it in, and he admitted that he did.
                            We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                            ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                            --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                              My bad. In my mind's eye, I see it happening at the Verizon -- I attended both games. (I guess my mind's eye needs some sort of vision correction!!!)

Anyway, this I do remember correctly: a friend of mine is a Maine fan, and he knew the Lawson family somehow. He had occasion to ask Luke if he kicked it in, and he admitted that he did.
                              Have a friend who knows Marcus also. Asked him on occasion if he actually scored in OT. Admitted that he missed the net.
                              sure why not

Comment

UNH got high on the long waiting list they once had, started to really screw the normal folks that are with you through thick and thin. I know people who tried to renew seats in the STH renewal window only to be told they would have to move. UNH didn't tell them but they found out during the next year it was so UNH could sell more corporate seats - they dropped the seats and never came back. UNH got to the point of having people buy their way up the "waiting list" and forced donations of new ticket holders to the Wildcat Athletic Council for the privilege of buying seats. Also constantly raising the prices hasn’t helped. It was all in the name of money and a supply and demand curve in the beginning.

The problem happened when the economy turned south combined with a slip in the programs performance. All of a sudden the waiting list that was probably not ever as long as they claimed wasn't there. Seats became available and they couldn’t snap their fingers and sell them. Between 1999 and 2003 if I had a season ticket seat become available I could call people at 4 on a Friday and they would change plans to grab the ticket for that night at 7. Today I have to plan days - sometimes weeks ahead to fill an empty seat.

Problem is the athletic department has been slow to react to the fan base changes. This issue has been coming for a while and there was a refusal to see it. Much like many corporations today it has become about right now gain even if you are sacrificing tomorrow by not investing in your product. In this case UNH needs to invest in STH goodwill and they aren't. They seem to have forgotten how. It doesn’t help that UNH is not in a city, so the pool of people isn’t as big and they really ****ed a bunch off by treating them like garbage when the times were “good”. The athletic department forgot the consumer supplier relationship and is paying for it.

With greater league parity and up and coming programs this problem isn't going away. But UNH, BU and Maine (the 3 of the big 4 hit the hardest) have not adjusted there thinking. So it is likely going to get worse before it gets better.

Only hope I have is it seems UNH is treating the students better. There was a time they wanted to make life miserable on the students. See if they made it hard to get student tickets they could resell them as general admin and essential double dip. This year it appears that athletics has done a few things to increase student attendance.

How does that saying go ... you can shear a sheep many times but skin him only once... well they skinned a bunch of paying fans, they may also have problems with some new alumni from skinning them when they were students.
                                Last edited by JB; 03-05-2013, 12:48 PM.
                                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Working...
                                X