Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine @ New Hampshire

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
    what exactly IS the ban with Black Betty?
    I thought the NCAA said that that song was not allowed to be played at any NCAA sporting events.

They played it out in Kansas City at this year's Ice Breaker and I have heard it at many college hockey games since the UNH ban.

just not at UNH
    I actually looked into this earlier in the year when wondering about it myself. AD Marty Scarano made the decision to get rid of it because it is "theoretically racist" after a complaint. I was in school there at the time and as I remember it, it was a complaint from an assistant coach on the US Women's hockey team who heard it during an exhibition game there.

According to this article, Hockey East had no place to say anything, it was solely a UNH decision, and a bad one in the opinion of many.

http://www.tnhonline.com/2.3536/this...4#.UTfJ4FeGmSo

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
      ... trying to quiet and dull down the cheering public for the knitters that want some quiet during the game...
      I know a knitter. She isn't quiet.
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
        ... the UNH Student Athletic Fee is just shy of $1,000 after another increase.
        My daughter's bill for the current semester includes "Mandatory Fees = $1,287.50" as well as several smaller, mostly course related fees. Interestingly last spring the mandatory fees were $1,510.00
        Last edited by Darius; 03-06-2013, 05:39 PM.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Seems like Walshy and Standbrook did a pretty decent job with a relatively unremarkable collection of players.
          Not only that, but because of the sanctions that the NCAA imposed on UMaine, they were working with either 14 or 16 scholarships, instead of the usual 18.

Comment

Now just because the State screws the University does not mean athletics should skin the fans. Latest bit i heard is the Friends of Hockey are no longer going to sell merchandise. I don't know if it because the Friends doesn’t want to - didn't get that much detail yet. But the University is getting an outside firm to sell the merchandise. So instead of the profits from a volunteer group going 20% to athletics (there current cut) and the rest to the hockey team booster club, somebody will take a profit cut and then pass the rest (likely) to the Athletic Department. I just can’t see how this is going to be in the interest of the hockey team and department in general, further clueless behavior.
            It's been two years since I left the Friends board but I was there when the "negotiations" took place regarding the Friends booth at the Whit. This is back in the spring of 1995, before the Whit opened. The Friends had a small concession area at Snively, they had a little larger one the year we played in Manchester, and we were promised a prominent place inside the arena when the Whit opened. As I recall, there was some push back from Hayden Sports because, at the time, they pretty much were the exclusive vendor for UNH athletic wear. I vividly recall a meeting when we on the board were told that 20% of our gross revenue, that's off the top, would have to be given to the outside management company (forget their name) running the Whit. The edict sounded ludicrous to me since the Friends were non-profit, with their sole mission to support mens hockey at UNH. We were told that we were to be treated like any other concession, profit or non-profit and we had to pony up.

Over the years, the outside management team gave up their contract, the University took over but the Friends still had to pay the 20%. Like I said, I have not been on the board for two years but, as far as i know, the fee remains. From people I talked to this past weekend, it sounds as though the Friends could no longer justify keeping the booth open because of this fee. Obviously the waning enthusiasm for the team has something to do with it. But I have to think that without this 20% fee off the top, the Friends could still make a go of it and provide support to the hockey team.

JB I agree with most everything you said in your two posts. I don't think the average fan, or even those who post here, realize how difficult it is for UNH, and other others (UVM, Maine) to remain competitive in a hockey landscape that is increasingly going to be dominated by the likes of those who have King Football (BC, the Big Ten, Notre Dame) to back them up.
            Last edited by Greg Ambrose; 03-06-2013, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dropkicknh View Post
              I actually looked into this earlier in the year when wondering about it myself. AD Marty Scarano made the decision to get rid of it because it is "theoretically racist" after a complaint. I was in school there at the time and as I remember it, it was a complaint from an assistant coach on the US Women's hockey team who heard it during an exhibition game there.

According to this article, Hockey East had no place to say anything, it was solely a UNH decision, and a bad one in the opinion of many.

http://www.tnhonline.com/2.3536/this...4#.UTfJ4FeGmSo
              Interestingly I was at a game at Harvard on Friday when they played Quinnipiac and was very surprised that the bastion of liberalism was not in the loop that some folks at UNH had determined that this song was offensive! So okay at Harvard, but banned in Durham? Go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
                Interestingly I was at a game at Harvard on Friday when they played Quinnipiac and was very surprised that the bastion of liberalism was not in the loop that some folks at UNH had determined that this song was offensive! So okay at Harvard, but banned in Durham? Go figure!
                My recollection is that the edict came from the HE Commish. Are there any schools in the league that play the song (I use the term loosely)?

Comment

At the Alfond Arena, the souvenir store takes up most of the front lobby and has several impressive displays. It's like shopping in a nice department store, similar to Dick's Sporting Goods.
                  The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    You're seeing a somewhat similar setup of what happened over at Merrimack (Da Costa, Cannata, overagers galore) and currently UML (Frolin, Hellebuyck, overagers). Both very very tough teams to play (Merrimack not so much lately).
                    Same approach utilized by the Q .... with 10 or 11 seniors ....at age 24.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                      My recollection is that the edict came from the HE Commish. Are there any schools in the league that play the song (I use the term loosely)?
                      Nope just UNH.
                      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Nope just UNH.
                        From memory the league instituted a "voluntary ban", a number of schools continue to play it and there's even been a few reports of hearing it at other UNH sports.
                        "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 ECAC Tournament: 1 Hockey East Regular Season: 8 Hockey East Tournament: 2
                        NCAA Appearances: 22 Frozen Fours: 7 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                        EAIAW Champions: 4 ECAC Regular Season: 3 ECAC Tournament: 5 Hockey East Regular Season: 6 Hockey East Tournament: 4
                        AWCHA Final Fours: 2 NCAA Appearances: 5 Frozen Fours: 2 1999 Runner Up
                        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Funny you should say that. Does it bother anyone else in UNH-land that the 1979 ECAC Tourney title is lumped in on UNH's "Hockey East Tourneys" banner?
                          I much prefer the way they have it displayed in the lower level of the Whitt (may be the hockey office, can't remember exact location), years with league logo next to it so that the ECAC title is distinct from the HE era.
                          Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 ECAC Tournament: 1 Hockey East Regular Season: 8 Hockey East Tournament: 2

Women's Hockey
                          EAIAW Champions: 4 ECAC Regular Season: 3 ECAC Tournament: 5 Hockey East Regular Season: 6 Hockey East Tournament: 4
                          1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            Is UNH any more relevant? I think you would have a tough time making that case.
                            Maine: Struggling to make the league playoffs
                            UNH: #4 in the country
                            *******http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GWVln0W_dlM/UGvMA1ivd7I/AAAAAAAAAsM/aihk_XgANVg/s1600/that-was-easy-button.jpg********
                            Last edited by ClOuD 9; 03-06-2013, 09:05 PM.
                            Men's Hockey

Women's Hockey
                            1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                              I like living in 2002 as well as 1999.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw4UVra5hdc
                              We won the league and HE tournament, you hired Timmay - We win...
                              Men's Hockey

Women's Hockey
                              1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                At least we have a past to enjoy
                                Lance Armstrong has a past too, he's still a cheater.
                                Tainted titles
                                Last edited by ClOuD 9; 03-06-2013, 09:27 PM.
                                Men's Hockey

Women's Hockey
                                1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Working...
                                X