Maine @ New Hampshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine @ New Hampshire

Nice to see Maine fans(what's left of them!), including Dufus, post about something else other than firing Whitehead!!!
    GO BLUE/GO UNH

COLLEGE HOCKEY RULES

Comment

TIMMAY needs to go, now!!!
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        timmay needs to go negotiate an extension, now!!!
        fyp!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
          Nice to see Maine fans(what's left of them!), including Dufus, post about something else other than firing Whitehead!!!
          What's left of them? Despite their fall into irrelevance, they've had a TON more activity on here than UNH fans (I think they're closing in on four threads and we're barely through one for this season despite it being a decent season for us....)

Comment

yeah, but it's more fun to bich and moan.

TIMMAY

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
              What's left of them? Despite their fall into irrelevance, they've had a TON more activity on here than UNH fans (I think they're closing in on four threads and we're barely through one for this season despite it being a decent season for us....)
              Amazing how a handful of disgruntled fans, posting a gazillion times apiece(look at Dufus, he's got over 15,000 posts!) can string out a thread
              GO BLUE/GO UNH

COLLEGE HOCKEY RULES

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                Maybe you should raise a banner.
                Funny you should say that. Does it bother anyone else in UNH-land that the 1979 ECAC Tourney title is lumped in on UNH's "Hockey East Tourneys" banner?

Also dared to go back to the 1998-1999 UMaine team page on hockeydb.com during lunch today. A few fun facts (not agenda-ridden BTW):

* Marcus Gustafsson left school early after THE GOAL and potted 4 goals in 3 games in the AHL. He never played another game at that level, played one more season (1999-2000) in the ECHL (New Orleans), and retired from organized hockey that year at age 25. He will turn 40 years old next year.

* Among several assistant coaches on that team was one Nate Leaman, current PC head coach and former Union College head coach. Seems like he learned a few lessons from Walshy and Standbrook during his one-year tenure in Orono.

* Last UMaine forward from that team active in the NHL? Ben Guite (2010 w/Nashville). Last defenseman? Doug Janik (2012 w/Detroit).

* On the UNH side ... Jason Krog was active in the NHL until 2009 (Vancouver), Ty Conklin played for Detroit last season, and Darren Haydar is well on his way to becoming an AHL Hall of Famer (does such a thing even exist?), and has scored one (1) NHL goal in a very brief 22 game career at that level.

* Alfie Michaud played two NHL games with Vancouver the next season, never to return to that level. He spent the next couple of seasons as a backup in the AHL/IHL before dropping to the low minors, and has played most of his career since then in low-level European leagues.

* That win would be Walshy's final victory on the Frozen Four stage, as his last two teams would lose in the first weekend of the NCAA tourney. If someone told me that would be the case after their triumph in Anaheim, I would have assumed it was because he moved on to the NHL. Life takes some weird turns.

Seems like Walshy and Standbrook did a pretty decent job with a relatively unremarkable collection of players.

Likewise, seems like Umile and Company did OK with their crew as well. Not like either team had a Paul Kariya or Rod Longway on board.

Let's hope that a year from now, both programs can again truly be "relevant" again, like they were a decade or so ago, Fame can be fleeting, eh?
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  Funny you should say that. Does it bother anyone else in UNH-land that the 1979 ECAC Tourney title is lumped in on UNH's "Hockey East Tourneys" banner?

Also dared to go back to the 1998-1999 UMaine team page on hockeydb.com during lunch today. A few fun facts (not agenda-ridden BTW):

* Marcus Gustafsson left school early after THE GOAL and potted 4 goals in 3 games in the AHL. He never played another game at that level, played one more season (1999-2000) in the ECHL (New Orleans), and retired from organized hockey that year at age 25. He will turn 40 years old next year.

* Among several assistant coaches on that team was one Nate Leaman, current PC head coach and former Union College head coach. Seems like he learned a few lessons from Walshy and Standbrook during his one-year tenure in Orono.

* Last UMaine forward from that team active in the NHL? Ben Guite (2010 w/Nashville). Last defenseman? Doug Janik (2012 w/Detroit).

* On the UNH side ... Jason Krog was active in the NHL until 2009 (Vancouver), Ty Conklin played for Detroit last season, and Darren Haydar is well on his way to becoming an AHL Hall of Famer (does such a thing even exist?), and has scored one (1) NHL goal in a very brief 22 game career at that level.

* Alfie Michaud played two NHL games with Vancouver the next season, never to return to that level. He spent the next couple of seasons as a backup in the AHL/IHL before dropping to the low minors, and has played most of his career since then in low-level European leagues.

* That win would be Walshy's final victory on the Frozen Four stage, as his last two teams would lose in the first weekend of the NCAA tourney. If someone told me that would be the case after their triumph in Anaheim, I would have assumed it was because he moved on to the NHL. Life takes some weird turns.

Seems like Walshy and Standbrook did a pretty decent job with a relatively unremarkable collection of players.

Likewise, seems like Umile and Company did OK with their crew as well. Not like either team had a Paul Kariya or Rod Longway on board.

Let's hope that a year from now, both programs can again truly be "relevant" again, like they were a decade or so ago, Fame can be fleeting, eh?
                  In 2000 Maine made it to the frozen four. In 2001 they beat UMN the. Lost to BC the first weekend.

It would be nice for both teams to be relevant again but there is so much parity nowadays I'm not sure it will ever be like it was.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    Good post Chuck.

Maine teams, whether they had tons of talent or not, always were greater than the sum of their parts during the Walsh tenure. Just tough tough teams to play against. Throw in a euro here and there, grab some older players here and there and get a great goalie and BAM. Nasty Maine Black Bears team.

You're seeing a somewhat similar setup of what happened over at Merrimack (Da Costa, Cannata, overagers galore) and currently UML (Frolin, Hellebuyck, overagers). Both very very tough teams to play (Merrimack not so much lately).
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

That's cause they had a coach who instilled that nasty attitude in them.

TIMMAY's instilled his attitude into his teams during his tenure also. But his attitude isn't nasty, it's more like "oh well.................."

Comment

1) Greg - to your point, the UNH Student Athletic Fee is just shy of $1,000 after another increase. If a student attends every home athletic event, it ends up costing something like $650 (don't have the exact amount).

2) M.A.I.N.E maaaaaaaaine sucks. That is all.
                        I haven't been on here in a year...
                        Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Well it's Maine week, and it's not exactly what it used to be, either between these two teams, or in my own life, personally. However, I figured now was as good a time as ever to post our favorite baninated song. Though the racism in this one may be a bit more than theoretical.

******** width="420" height="315">******* name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jh0TOeo4noI?hl=en_US&version=3">******* name="allowFullScreen" value="true">******* name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">******* src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jh0TOeo4noI?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">
                          A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
                            Well it's Maine week, and it's not exactly what it used to be, either between these two teams, or in my own life, personally. However, I figured now was as good a time as ever to post our favorite baninated song. Though the racism in this one may be a bit more than theoretical.
                            what exactly IS the ban with Black Betty?
                            I thought the NCAA said that that song was not allowed to be played at any NCAA sporting events.

They played it out in Kansas City at this year's Ice Breaker and I have heard it at many college hockey games since the UNH ban.

just not at UNH

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                              what exactly IS the ban with Black Betty?
                              I thought the NCAA said that that song was not allowed to be played at any NCAA sporting events.

They played it out in Kansas City at this year's Ice Breaker and I have heard it at many college hockey games since the UNH ban.

just not at UNH
                              I'm 99.9% sure I heard it played at Merrimack back in January, and again at Merrimack during the UMass-Lowell game Sunday on TV.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

you did , i heard it also .

Comment

Working...
                                X