Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine @ New Hampshire

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    I don't think conditioning was much of a factor last night since UNH played their worst hockey in the first 2/3 of the game. Problem with UNH is that they have no stones. I know Maine was "playing for their playoff lives" but UNH is at home, in front of an almost full house, and just came out flat. The SHG was unacceptable, just unacceptable. They keep it to a one goal game, come out in the second and do absolutely nothing. Too much freelancing as more than once I saw UNH come in the zone with numbers, they don't spread out, so the puck carrier takes the shot. Defensively there were not enough sticks on pucks. The forwards were lazy defensively.

It's probably too late in the game for this message to get through, but UNH does not have great individual offensive talent. Never mind JVR, Krog or Haydar, there is no one on this team that approximates the skill level of Butler or Thompson (or even Sislo and DeSimone). They had success early on because they played solid team defense, players appeared to know their roles, and they executed them. Now everybody seems to think they are a star. Prime example is Hardowa. Two weeks ago in Vermont he cost the team a goal when he tried to stickhandle through three guys, creating a 2-on-1 the other way. Last night he did the same thing twice. Goumas is another one. One piece of advice Kevin, stop being a puck hog, use your line mates, they have as much talent as you do and will make you a better player if you recognize this.

If UNH loses again tonight, I fear my glass is half empty prediction of two weeks ago will come true. Fifth place finish, lose in two in the quarterfinals, sit around for two weeks and get beat with a lackluster effort in Manchester. It's happened before, the handwriting is on the wall.
    During Friday’s telecast Ken Hodge quoted Umile as saying it was the best defensive team he has ever had but they surely left it in the locker last night. Give Maine the credit they deserve, they outplay the Cats for 55-minutes.

Comment

All credit to Maine. You took it to us like these friggin Nor'easters we've been having. Pressure is definitley on UNH tonight to respond. GO CATS!
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        ...Goumas is another one. One piece of advice Kevin, stop being a puck hog, use your line mates, they have as much talent as you do and will make you a better player if you recognize this....
        Respectfully disagree with this part. Talent and effort wise Goumas is UNH's best player by far. He's looking for opportunities like a team mate going to the net. I don't have time to check the stats right now (gotta head back to campus, Senior day after all), but this was the idea having Burke on the same line earlier in the year.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
          Respectfully disagree with this part. Talent and effort wise Goumas is UNH's best player by far. He's looking for opportunities like a team mate going to the net. I don't have time to check the stats right now (gotta head back to campus, Senior day after all), but this was the idea having Burke on the same line earlier in the year.
          Goumas has 10 goals and 27 assists. Puck hog?? Seriously Greg??
          UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
            Goumas has 10 goals and 27 assists. Puck hog?? Seriously Greg??
            I see Goumas making too many end-to-end rushes for the better part of the last month, Scott. I'm not one to sweat too much about stats, but I'd bet a fair amount that most of those assists were before February. His scoring has fallen off during the same stretch. He is probably trying too hard, and just not trusting his teammates enough. I don't think anyone is saying Goumas is evil (GIS?) ... but maybe Darius has a point, and Burke's absence has had the biggest impact on Goumas?

He is a very talented player, no doubt. Maybe the most talented forward UNH has. But his production has fallen off lately. He has company with that, though, so I'm not looking to scapegoat him here. TVR is another player who seems to be trying to do too much on the puck over the last month-plus. If anything, they are two of the most talented kids on the team, and to their credit, they are probably trying to step up and "carry" the team. But it's not working out that way, when just playing their roles as they were doing earlier in the season *may* just be what the doctor ordered. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

FWIW, I got into Knodel pretty bad after the first BC game, but credit where credit is due, it was a bad game for him, and he's bounced back nicely, and enjoyed a better season than anyone here had any right to expect him to have. There have been more good things than bad this season, but it's always distressing when a group of players consistently cannot overcome the same obstacles in the same settings. Maybe things will change? I live and wait in endless, naive hope ...
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              I see Goumas making too many end-to-end rushes for the better part of the last month, Scott. I'm not one to sweat too much about stats, but I'd bet a fair amount that most of those assists were before February. His scoring has fallen off during the same stretch. He is probably trying too hard, and just not trusting his teammates enough. I don't think anyone is saying Goumas is evil (GIS?) ... but maybe Darius has a point, and Burke's absence has had the biggest impact on Goumas?

He is a very talented player, no doubt. Maybe the most talented forward UNH has. But his production has fallen off lately. He has company with that, though, so I'm not looking to scapegoat him here. TVR is another player who seems to be trying to do too much on the puck over the last month-plus. If anything, they are two of the most talented kids on the team, and to their credit, they are probably trying to step up and "carry" the team. But it's not working out that way, when just playing their roles as they were doing earlier in the season *may* just be what the doctor ordered. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

FWIW, I got into Knodel pretty bad after the first BC game, but credit where credit is due, it was a bad game for him, and he's bounced back nicely, and enjoyed a better season than anyone here had any right to expect him to have. There have been more good things than bad this season, but it's always distressing when a group of players consistently cannot overcome the same obstacles in the same settings. Maybe things will change? I live and wait in endless, naive hope ...
              The Correale - Goumas - Willows line is not working. The theory is for the wingers to win the battles on the boards and get the puck to Goumas. I get it in theory, but its not working. Time to shake up the lines again, Mr Umile

Comment

I got to watch one of the BU at UMO games on TV a few weeks back, and assessed that neither team was accurately assessed by their records: BU was a train wreck, and UMO has all the spunk in the world and focuses on winning all the little battles. That was the same team that showed up last night. They got and kept control by winning board battles, face-offs and checks (except with Knodel, I love that tree trunk).

Sure enough, that got the boys in white cranky. Apparently only one of the two teams was properly informed that UNH was entitled to win that game.
                Hit Somebody!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  As soon as the team is down, they scramble into a lot of one man heroics - I think Downing is starting to get the same bad habits that Goumas has in this respect, but I see it from everyone. Frantic squirrels once they're behind in a game. When the team isn't in that mentality, it seems like they rely primarily on a diagonal pass through the neutral zone on a transition play. On Olympic-width ice. I get that you might exploit a break in coverage with that play, but on our sheet it seems to get made up for by the opposing D falling back while the puck takes the scenic route from board to board.
                  Hit Somebody!

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                    You obviously haven't seen much of Maine this year. That was the best game (bar the last few minutes) they've played all season. They out hustled, out hit and out played UHN for 55 minutes. Marty made some good saves, but he didn't "bail them out". You guys got spanked by an inferior team. Period.
                    I thought that this was a bit of a snooze fest. The 2 x BC games were the best of the season as the club was forechecking hard and crisper passing........

Comment

Originally posted by fiqure8 View Post
                      I thought that this was a bit of a snooze fest. The 2 x BC games were the best of the season as the club was forechecking hard and crisper passing........
                      You could make that argument. But last nights game was far from a snooze fest.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        Finally a UNH fan that gives Maine some credit for taking it to UNH.
                        despite the score, I'd say they took it to UNH for most of the first two periods. There were some close moments in that third period, but as soon as UNH got on the board, the third goal was an absolute back breaker. Thats how you kill momentum though.

I think I'll watch the second game tonight which will be my third UNH game in the year. Hopefully they can salvage the split but with last nights effort i'd be happy with a tie..
                        "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBear View Post
                          Does anyone know if there are individual face-off stats available for last night's game?
                          Still looking, but they are available here if you're willing to do the legwork
                          http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m...xml?view=plays

Today's game: http://livestats.prestosports.com/un...vm4fpujgauakp2
                          Don't know the link for last night's game, sorry.
                          Last edited by Priceless; 03-09-2013, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Joey Diamond completely lost it.
                            UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

Originally posted by UNH09 View Post
                              Joey Diamond completely lost it.
                              Almost literally.

Comment

If I was a UNH fan I wouldn't be packing my bags for Pittsburgh. I suppose they can turn it around but they don't look any better than Maine at this point.
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X