Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston College '12-'13 Part III: Save us Hobey-John Gaudreaubey; you're our only hope

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mookie1995
    replied
    Re: Boston College '12-'13 Part III: Save us Hobey-John Gaudreaubey; you're our only

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Per ushr, mottau was one of several finalists and york
    chose ayers. So if mottau does end up at uconn iit's not because he chose them over bc.
    are you just as disappointed in york turning down an alum whom he recruited as you were in mottau turning down bc as an alum who was recruited by jerry?

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    Re: Boston College '12-'13 Part III: Save us Hobey-John Gaudreaubey; you're our only

Per ushr, mottau was one of several finalists and york
    chose ayers. So if mottau does end up at uconn iit's not because he chose them over bc.

Leave a comment:

• Boston22
    replied

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
    Do you know that Ayers DOES NOT have such a personality, or just speculating? I don't know Mike Cavanaugh from a Black Bear, but Mike Ayers has a very engaging personality.
    I do not know anything about Ayers. I was responding to what Kenny said in post #965. I'm glad you say that Mike Ayers has a very engaging personality.

My point was that Coaches Ayers, Brown and York do not really have to win too, too many recruiting battles for the next few months, as they have so many guys already in the pipeline. They just have to make sure these kids stick with their original commitments, and show up at BC. Sorry if there was any confusion.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

That's fine. I guess the hard thing would be identifying what the expectations should be/are for Cav at UConn. I'm sure there's a wide variety of opinions on that.

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    You're making my point here. If the last thing he wants to do is fail in his first job, he'd pick BC over UConn every time because you have a much better chance to succeed at BC than you do at UConn.

Maybe, but at the same time, York recruited and coached him...and he's still here today.

This is all speculation anyway as we really don't know if York contacted Mottau/Mottau turned it down, etc.
    You're judging success on wins/losses, I'm judging it on meeting/not meeting expectations. They are two completely different things.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    He is trying to get his career off the ground and I'm sure the last thing he wants to do is fail in his first job.
    You're making my point here. If the last thing he wants to do is fail in his first job, he'd pick BC over UConn every time because you have a much better chance to succeed at BC than you do at UConn.

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    Also, he graduated 13 years ago so maybe the connection isn't quite as strong as it once was.
    Maybe, but at the same time, York recruited and coached him...and he's still here today.

This is all speculation anyway as we really don't know if York contacted Mottau/Mottau turned it down, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied

And you honestly think that would be enough for a bc alum/hobey winner to say no to york and his alma mater? Just doesn't add up to me. Using that logic, every assistant coach would rather go to uconn. You have a better chance of succeeding at bc than uconn and having success is what leads to bigger opportunities.
    Absolutely. He is trying to get his career off the ground and I'm sure the last thing he wants to do is fail in his first job. Look at what's happened with Dan Kerluke, I honestly don't think he's done that bad of job and he gets vilified by all the Maine fans. I think exceeding expectations will lead to more opportunities than anything else. Not meeting expectations won't get you very far, and they would be pretty high if he were to go to BC. Also, he graduated 13 years ago so maybe the connection isn't quite as strong as it once was.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

And you honestly think that would be enough for a bc alum/hobey winner to say no to york and his alma mater? Just doesn't add up to me. Using that logic, every assistant coach would rather go to uconn. You have a better chance of succeeding at bc than uconn and having success is what leads to bigger opportunities.

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    All things being equal, let's say both York and Cav wanted Mottau (we still have no idea if this is the case)...I just can't see Mottau saying no to York and his alma mater so he can go to UConn of all places. You can't assume that success at UConn is a sure thing. So if Mottau really wanted to go to UConn and they can't get past mediocrity in Hockey East...then what?

Compare that to someone like Ayers. Most expect BC to be good the next few years at the very least. If that's the case, Ayers will be considered a part of that and will undoubtedly be a candidate to replace Umile. So what's the wiser career move? It's a no brainer to me.
    I think you answered your own question. People expect BC to be good, if they aren't Mottau surely would get some blame. With UConn he doesn't have to worry about that.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

All things being equal, let's say both York and Cav wanted Mottau (we still have no idea if this is the case)...I just can't see Mottau saying no to York and his alma mater so he can go to UConn of all places. You can't assume that success at UConn is a sure thing. So if Mottau really wanted to go to UConn and they can't get past mediocrity in Hockey East...then what?

Compare that to someone like Ayers. Most expect BC to be good the next few years at the very least. If that's the case, Ayers will be considered a part of that and will undoubtedly be a candidate to replace Umile. So what's the wiser career move? It's a no brainer to me.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

Just a thought...

But if mottau is looking to break into college coaching, wouldn't the chance to make an immediate splash and get recognized be building up uconn from basically scratch?!? Rather than sliding into the greatest program of the last decade?!?

All one can do at bc to get noticed now is f up.

Leave a comment:

• Aerman
    replied

Do you know that Ayers DOES NOT have such a personality, or just speculating? I don't know Mike Cavanaugh from a Black Bear, but Mike Ayers has a very engaging personality.

Leave a comment:

• Boston22
    replied

Greg Brown and Mike Ayers may not have the personality of Mike Cavanaugh. But BC has so many recruits already lined up, that Brown and Ayers just have to make sure these kids stay on course and show up at the Heights. (At least, at the beginning.)

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

The coaching staff wasn't going to remain intact forever. Change was inevitable. It's not like cav and logue were fired.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

Kenny, where are you getting your info from? Anyway, if mottau *chose* uconn over bc then yes, that's a recruiting win for cav. There is zero indication that that is what happened. It's funny that you're down in the dumps over ayers when we all know cav isn't a bc
    grad either and he did just fine. Calling him "this ayers guy" is completely unfair. You should know who he is just from his playing days alone, nevermind why he was actually hired--that being his work with the us national development program.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X