Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

Here is the link to the CHW game recap...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/1...n-College.html
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      - The Big Red move on to the Round of 32, where they will take on the winner of the '96-97 North Dakota-'65-66 Clarkson matchup.
      Could be undefeated vs undefeated next round. That'd be something!
      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
        That should be undefeated vs. undefeated*.
        RPI Pep Band
        GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
        2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
        2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
          1955-1956 Clarkson was undefeated. They are ranked #16 and on the other side of the bracket. The only way the two undefeateds could meet would be in the Championship.

1965-1966 Clarkson went 24-3-0 and lost the title game 6-1 to a .500ish Michigan State squad. They barely sneaked into the Top 100 Tournament at #95, but pulled arguably the biggest upset of the tournament so far. Do they have a few more left in them?
          North Dakota

Comment

1955-1956 Clarkson was undefeated. They are ranked #16 and on the other side of the bracket. The only way the two undefeateds could meet would be in the Championship.

1965-1966 Clarkson went 24-3-0 and lost the title game 6-1 to a .500ish Michigan State squad. They barely sneaked into the Top 100 Tournament at #95, but pulled arguably the biggest upset of the tournament so far. Do they have a few more left in them?
            65-66 Clarkson choked. They had demolished MSU during the regular season.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

My bad. I knew it was a '*6 Clarkson team from well before my time that went undefeated. Didn't realize that Clarkson was actually good enough to send two teams into this tourney.
              Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              And we're very grateful for it!
              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Probably got screwed by bad reffing; the only thing that's been around longer than the ECAC.
                Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                Clarkson 1990

Comment

They had beaten the Spartans 6-3 at home early in the season. Interestingly, they also played Denver (who Clarkson would beat 4-3 in the Semifinals) earlier in the year, getting outscored by a total of 12-8 in a series split (Clarkson won 5-4 in OT, Denver won 8-3).

That Spartans team is still the only team to ever finish sub .500 in the regular season, but win out in the Conference and NCAA Tournaments to capture the title. Michigan State finished the season with a 16-13-0 record. 5 years later, the '70-71 Gophers nearly pulled off the same feat, but had they won their last game, they would have finished the entire season under .500. If Minnesota had beat BU in the title game, they would have finished the season 15-16-2.
                  North Dakota

Comment

Given the lack of time that I have this week (along with the general lack of interest in this thread), there will not be a game update post this Thursday (tomorrow). There will be the CHW game recap, and I will provide a link when that is up and ready (should be sometime tomorrow...probably around noon).

That being said, what game would people like to be played tomorrow?
                    North Dakota

Comment

I think people will be more active in the thread in the off season. Right now there's too much else going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        I think people will be more active in the thread in the off season. Right now there's too much else going on.
                        I do read it and enjoy it whenever there is a post, season or offseason.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I do read it and enjoy it whenever there is a post, season or offseason.
                          Same for me.
                          Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            The problem there is, the off season essentially begins with my finals period. Then, I'll likely be working an externship this summer, where my schedule could fluctuate quite a bit.

My hope is that I can have the Round of 64 done by the Frozen Four, and then try to at least post 1 update/week during the rest of the season/summer to try and get the Round of 32 done by the beginning of the Fall Semester (early August - my last semester...after 11 years in college ). Then the hope is that I can have the Sweet 16 done by the beginning of next season. If I can do that, the Elite 8 would probably take place Mid-Late October, with the Frozen Four and Championship ideally taking place before Thanksgiving because after that I have finals period, followed by bar prep, followed by the bar. Then back to the real world again.
                            North Dakota

Comment

For those still interested, today's game is going to be...

#30 - 1988-1989 Michigan State Spartans vs. #35 - 1988-1989 Harvard Crimson
                              West Regional - Round of 64
                              Pepsi Center - Denver, CO
                              February 27, 2014

Obviously, this game is a rematch of the 1989 Final Four Semifinals, where the "underdog" Crimson beat Sparty 6-3 en route to the National Championship. Michigan State was the #1 seed from the West that year, but needed OT in Game 3 in their Quarterfinal matchup against Boston College to even get to the Semifinals. Meanwhile, Harvard was the #2 seed from the East, and cruised past defending Champion LSSU to make the trip to St. Paul for the Final Four. In the games that actually mattered, the Crimson would follow their 6-3 victory over Michigan State with a victory over the hometown Gophers in the National Championship. That '88-89 Minnesota Squad came in at #71 on my list, and are still alive in this tournament...though they face the #7 ranked team ('76-77 Wisconsin) in the Round of 64.

The game starts at 10:00am (Eastern), and I'll try and have short recaps after each period. Until then, I hope everyone interested chimes in with their favorite stories of the teams involved, their recollections of past games, and stuff like that. To me, that is what makes a thread like this interesting. Despite what some people may believe, I really don't enjoy talking to myself.
                              North Dakota

Comment

Introductions just finished here, and the crowd is now standing straight up as Paula Abdul is about to sing the National Anthem!

That was a beautiful rendition! Both teams' fans are going nuts right now ready for this one...feels like I'm caught in a hit and run.

WCHA crew working the game, and the puck is set to drop for the first period...I'll be back in a bit to give a recap of the first twenty minutes.
                                Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 02-27-2014, 09:10 AM.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X