Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    They are definitely one of the teams I'm looking forward to see how they do in this tournament (along with '88-89 Harvard), as I thought those were the two teams that stood out as being ranked lower than I thought they would be. I'm also curious to see how 1997-1998 Michigan State does because they were the one team that blew me away with how high they were ranked.

The one thing I will say about Michigan that year, is that the CCHA was relatively weak. I think that is what hurt them in comparison with some of the other top squads. If they would have played a more difficult schedule, they would have most likely been in the top 15-25. Of course, it's also my opinion that if they played a more difficult schedule, they wouldn't have looked so dominant. That being said, I'm very glad that BU knocked them off in the Semifinals.
    Funny story about them. Yost hosted both West Regionals that year and in the bottom West Regional final, it was sparty vs the buckeyes. Game went to OT. The place was full of ohio AND Michigan fans cheering for OHIO and state fans there for their team obviously. buckeyes win the game 4-3 in OT and the place erupts.

Michigan did not have any success against state that season, so it was great to see their great team go down at Yost. Had they won, there very well could have been a Michigan vs sparty National Title Game.
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

The next game in the tournament will be...

#47 - 1998-1999 New Hampshire Wildcats vs. #82 - 2002-2003 Minnesota Golden Gophers
      GO 'CATS! DIE VANEK, DIE! (not that I'm bitter or anything )
      Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Zim View Post
        Wonder how the 1990-91 BU club missed the cut (where'd they rank), losing in 3OT to NMU in the title game, HE champions? They had 10 players with 4,538 NHL games led by Tkachuk, Amonte, MacEachern and Lachance.
        I saw all but 6 of the games that team played. I think they were the most talented BU team I've seen in absolute terms. However, 1989-90 and 1990-91 were the two best seasons in college hockey as far as talent is concerned. That team didn't tower over its opposition. In fact, it was a bit disappointing until it took off in mid to late January. The improvement was coincidental to Tony Amonte's arrival as a truly great player. That team just lost too many games to make the Top 100.
        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

WCHA:
          1965-1966 Michigan Tech
          1969-1970 Minnesota
          1977-1978 Denver (already ranked)

ECAC:
          1964-1965 BU
          1973-1974 New Hampshire (already ranked)
          1976-1977 Clarkson (already ranked)
          1978-1979 BU
          1979-1980 BC

St. Louis from the CCHA won the regular season title a few times, but never made it to the NCAA Tournament. If you can find me their schedules (with results) from back then, I'll gladly put them in.

I'll pop in these teams that I listed, and see where they wound up.
          Did you ever get a chance to run some of those St. Louis teams?
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Did you ever get a chance to run some of those St. Louis teams?
            I haven't yet. I've been absolutely swamped with school work. If I get the chance this week, I'll try and run them and then post the results here.

As for the Top 100 Tournament, I'll try and get a game done this week. However, it is entirely possible that we won't see another game until Mid-May (when I'm done with school for at least a few weeks).
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
              1996-97 Michigan was the greatest team to ever play here. Won everything except the national title. Hobey Baker winner Brendan Morrison, Marty Turco. Absolutely tore through that season.

They lost to BU in the Frozen Four. The Terrier curse struck again. Oddly enough, the following year with a less talented team that won nothing all year, they won the national title.
              Agreed, I was there for every home game and about half of the road games. Even on their worst nights they were unbelievably good. I give Jack Parker a lot of credit for his game plan in Milwaukee. I've never seen a more physical game, BU beat the crap out of us for much of the game and we didn't respond until it was too late. I think the effort took a lot out of BU, they weren't the same team in the finals. I loved watching Brendan (named my first son after him), John, Billy (tried to name my second son after him.....wife said no dice), Marty, etc. Great, great team even with the disappointing finish.
              Cornell '92, Michigan '97 - Go Red! Go Blue!
              I flex a real hard juice card.

Comment

I thought I would update this thread. School is now out of session for me for 11 days (and even after 11 days, a severely truncated schedule until August). As a result, LET THE GAME BEGIN again!!!!

Next Game Up: #47 - 1998-1999 New Hampshire Wildcats vs. #82 - 2002-2003 Minnesota Golden Gophers
                When: Saturday, May 18
                Where: Dunkin' Donuts Center - Providence, RI
                Time: 11:00 A.M. Eastern
                North Dakota

Comment

Go 'Cats!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Wouldn't it be ironic if a team from UHN won this tournament?

Comment

Would you come to our banner hanging ceremony?

Comment

#47 - 1998-1999 New Hampshire Wildcats vs. #82 - 2002-2003 Minnesota Golden Gophers
                        May 18, 2013
                        Dunkin' Donuts Center - Providence, RI

Game Update Post

The fans are starting to get revved up for this game today. Coach Lucia and Coach Umile have announced their starters in goal. For the Gophers, Travis Weber will get the start, while Ty Conklin will man the net for the Wildcats. Puck is set to drop in about 30 minutes, so get ready for what looks to be like a classic!

Teams just finished up warm-ups, and both squads look ready for today. New Hampshire will wear white, while Minnesota is in maroon.

I just finished talking with Gopher assistant coach Bob Motzko, who says that Minnesota will look to come out strong early and fly up and down the ice all day. New Hampshire assistant David Lassonde responded that New Hampshire is looking to open things up today as well...so be prepared for fire wagon hockey today ladies and gentlemen!

Introductions just finished up, now who will come for the national anthem?

It's the hip band EVERYTHING!!! That was wonderful...but it does make me wonder...who really does have the hooch?

The bands are both in the arena, and the crowd is electric here this afternoon. Troy Riddle and Jason Krog are set for the faceoff...and we're UNDERWAY!!!

1st Period:
                        - The Gopher top line is off to a dominating start. Riddle wins the draw back to Ballard who makes a quick pass along the far boards to Vanek who beats Steve O'Brien and gets a nice shot on net, but Conklin gets the glove over it.
                        - Matt Koalska nearly puts the Gophers ahead, as he wins a puck in the neutral zone, comes down the near boards, then makes a beautiful toe drag and rips a shot through Christian Bragnalo's legs that fools Conklin. Unfortunately for the Gophers, the puck sails just wide of the net. Still 0-0, but it's all Minnesota early. 18:30 left in the 1st.
                        - Thomas Vanek Scores!! New Hampshire tries to clear the zone, but the puck bounces off Johnny Rogers near the blue line. Troy Riddle picks it up, and finds Vanek at the far dot, and Vanek rifles one over the sliding Conklin, and it's 1-0 Minnesota.
                        - It's still all Gophers here early. Minnesota's Andy Sertich levels Jason Krog in the neutral zone. Jon Waibel picks the puck up, and circles around the net, then finds a streaking Jake Fleming coming into the slot, but Fleming's shot goes just high. 16:30 left in the 1st.
                        - Conklin with a tremendous save to keep this game at 1-0. Vanek gets the puck along the far boards, cycles it down to Riddle, who fires a cross-ice pass to Gino Guyer. Guyer flips a wrister that looks destined for the back of the net, but Conklin just gets the toe of his skate over to send it wide. 15:15 left in the 1st.
                        - Jake Fleming Scores!! New Hampshire flips it out to center ice, and Matt DeMarchi controls the puck, sends a pass over to Fleming along the near boards. Fleming then takes the puck down the boards, then tries to fire a cross ice pass over to Grant Potulny, but the puck hits Eric Lind, and winds up in the back of the New Hampshire net. 2-0 Minnesota
                        - Jason Krog with a beautiful play, but Weber is up to the task. Krog wins the faceoff back to O'Brien, who then gets the center line and dumps it in. Krog wins the race to the puck, and works his way to the slot. Krog fires a wrister, but right into Weber's glove. That was New Hampshire's first shot on goal. 13:30 left in the 1st.
                        - Now the Gophers will head to the powerplay. Tyler Hirsch had the puck along the near boards, and attempted to make a move to the slot, but Christian Bragnalo hauls the freshman down to put Minnesota on the man advantage with just over half of the first period remaining.
                        - Thomas Vanek Scores!! Troy Riddle wins the offensive zone draw back to Keith Ballard. Ballard fires a slap shot from the blue line, and Vanek deflects it past Conklin to give Minnesota a 3-0 lead. Coach Umile calls his timeout to try and settle things down, but right now, Minnesota is on fire.
                        - Matt DeMarchi with a punishing hit at center ice on Jason Krog. New Hampshire is playing with a little more jump in their step after that goal, but Minnesota is still dominating play here in the 1st period. 7:00 left in the 1st.
                        - New Hampshire starting to get a little momentum. They've taken over the bulk of the possession, but still unable to generate much of anything. 5:00 left in the 1st.
                        - Now the Gophers will head back to the powerplay, as Corey-Joe Ficek is unable to hold the zone, and takes down Barry Tallackson who may have had a break otherwise. Interference is the call. 4:23 left in the 1st.
                        - And New Hampshire kills the penalty beautifully. Gophers were unable to get the puck in the offensive zone, and now the Wildcats seem to have a bit of a spark under them. Still 3-0 Minnesota with just over 2:00 left in the 1st.
                        - Jason Krog Scores!! What an individual effort! Krog wins a battle along the near boards at center ice, collect the puck and dumps it into the zone. Then, Krog beats the Gopher defender to the puck along the far side, works his way to the far dot, and rifles a wrist shot top shelf over Weber's glove. New Hampshire strikes with just 6 seconds remaining in the first to pull back in it. 3-1 Minnesota
                        - That's the end of 1. Minnesota leads 3-1. Shots on goal in the first: Minnesota - 14, New Hampshire - 6.

2nd Period:
                        - Puck had dropped for the 2nd period and both teams looking to set the tone early in the 2nd.
                        - Mike Souza hits the post! Souza gets a beautiful feed from Krog at the far circle, and fires a one-timer that rings off the post. Still 3-1 Minnesota early in the 2nd.
                        - The physicality in this one has picked up quite a bit here in the 2nd. Both sides taking the body quite frequently.
                        - And we have a scuffle! Souza gets drilled into the boards by Ballard, and is down on the ice. O'Brien takes exception to it, and comes in and clobbers Ballard, who responds by taking O'Brien down to the ice. Ballard's initial hit may be a five...we'll have to wait and see how the refs sort this out.
                        - Looks like Ballard will get 2 for cross-checking Souza, and then 2 for Roughing. O'Brien also gets 2 for Roughing, so UNH will have the man advantage with 16:56 left in the 2nd.
                        - The Wildcats are putting the pressure on here on the powerplay, but have not been able to get a shot off just yet, as Minnesota is doing a tremendous job of pressuring the man with the puck. About 1:00 left in the powerplay.
                        - Darren Haydar Scores!! Just after the powerplay ends, Krog takes a pass from Jayme Filipowicz at the far circle, and fires a wrister that Weber gets a piece of, but the rebound lands right on Haydar's stick at the near goalpost, and Haydar taps it in to pull New Hampshire to within 1. 3-2 Minnesota with 14:51 left in the 2nd.
                        - Mike Souza has yet to report back to the Wildcat bench. It looked like they were concerned with a possible shoulder injury. Big loss for the Wildcats if he's not able to come back.
                        - A lot of play in the neutral zone now, as both sides have tightened things up defensively. 13:00 left in the 2nd.
                        - Thomas Vanek Scores!! Vanek completes the hat-trick by taking a pass from Riddle in the neutral zone, splitting the Wildcat defenders, and then makes Conklin look silly with a beautiful forehand to backhand deke that sends Conklin way out of position, and Vanek flips the puck in to give the Gophers a 4-2 lead. It's like a man playing against boys out there with Vanek.
                        - New Hampshire playing well, but unable to mount much in the offensive zone. They'll get another chance here though, as Thomas Vanek gets called for charging to put the Wildcats on the powerplay with just under 9:00 left in the 2nd.
                        - Minnesota does a great job on the kill, limiting New Hampshire to only one shot from the blue line that Weber easily hangs on to. Still 4-2 Gophers.
                        - Under 5:00 left in the 2nd. New Hampshire putting on pressure, but Minnesota playing great defense to keep this a two-goal game.
                        - New Hampshire will head back to the powerplay. Jason Krog dumps the puck into the zone for the Wildcats, and then Matt DeMarchi hauls down the Hobey Baker Winner to put the Cats on the man advantage with just over 3 minutes left in the 2nd.
                        - Jason Krog scores!! Krog wins an offensive zone draw on the man advantage that goes to Darren Haydar. Haydar drives down below the net, circles around the near side, and finds a wide open Krog on the far goalpost. Haydar slides the puck over to Krog who taps it in to put New Hampshire back within 1. 4-3 Minnesota with 2:00 left in the 2nd.
                        - Jay Shipulski scores!! Minnesota dumps the puck into the UNH zone, and Eric Lind gets to the puck behind the net. Lind then fires a bullet up the center of the ice, hitting Shipulski in stride behind the Gopher defenders, sending Shipulski in on a clean break. Shipulski lasers a wrister high glove past Weber from about 15 feet out to tie this game up, and the momentum is now all New Hampshire with just under a minute to go in the third.
                        And that's the end of 2. We're all square at 4-4. New Hampshire put up 12 shots that period, while Minnesota had 9.
                        Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 05-18-2013, 11:27 AM.
                        North Dakota

Comment

May 18, 2013
                          Dunkin' Donuts Center - Providence, RI

Game Update Post - Continued

All Square at 4-4 after 2.

3rd Period:
                          - Puck has dropped for the third period. Both sides are a little tense starting out...
                          - Mike Souza still not on the bench for the Wildcats. Reports are that he separated his shoulder, and is doubtful to return. 19:00 left in the 3rd.
                          - A lot of back and forth in the neutral zone. Neither side willing to give anything up. 14:00 left in the 3rd.
                          - Mike Souza now back on the bench. The Wildcat fans behind the bench get into a frenzy, and the atmosphere as back in the building following a very mundane five minutes or so of tentative play.
                          - Vanek nearly cashes in again! Ballard finds Vanek at the near dot, and Vanek wastes little time in firing a shot on Conklin, but the Wildcat netminder makes a tremendous glove save to keep this game tied at 4. 12:00 left in the 3rd.
                          - Minnesota will head to the powerplay. Gino Guyer gets tripped by Mike Souza coming into the zone, and the Gophers will have the man advantage for two minutes.
                          - New Hampshire does a tremendous job on the pk, never letting Minnesota get a shot on net. Souza comes out of the box with just over 9:30 left in the 3rd.
                          - Now UNH will head to the powerplay as Darren Haydar gets drilled after the whistle by Chris Harrington. Harrington gets called for Roughing, and the Wildcats will have the man advantage for two minutes.
                          - Jason Krog misses just wide! Krog wins an offensive zone draw on the faceoff, and it goes back to Steve O'Brien. O'Brien lets a slapper go from the blueline, that deflects off Keith Ballard, right to Jason Krog. With a near empty net, Krog fires a wrister from just inside the near dot, but it goes just wide. About 1:00 left on the Wildcat powerplay.
                          - And the Gophers kill the rest of the penalty as Harrington heads out of the box and back to the bench. Just over 6:00 left to play in a fast moving third period. Game still tied at 4.
                          - Grant Potulny gets robbed by Conklin! The Gophers catch UNH in a line change, and Potulny flies up the far board, and comes in on a 2x1. The UNH defender dives to take away the passing lane, and Potulny unleashes a fiery wrister from the far circle. Conklin just gets his stick over in time for the puck to glance off the knob of the stick and over the net. Game still tied at 4 with under 5:00 left.
                          - Jason Krog Scores!! Just after Potulny nearly scores, Krog wins a neutral zone draw back to O'Brien, who finds Haydar along the near boards, and Haydar brings it into the zone. Haydar then fires the puck around the boards behind the net, and Souza picks it up in the far corner. Souza then cycles behind the net, tries a wraparound that Weber gets, but the Gopher netminder leaves a juicy rebound, and Krog comes crashing in from the far side and puts the puck in the back of the net to give UNH their first lead of the game. 5-4 UNH with 4:46 left in the 3rd.
                          - Minnesota appears gassed right now. The Gophers are trying their best, but UNH appears to have control of this one. 3:00 left in the 3rd.
                          - Grant Potulny Scores!!! Minnesota clears their zone, and the puck bounces out to center ice. Bragnalo tries to control the puck, but it bounces up off his stick, and Potulny picks up the puck in the neutral zone and comes in all alone on Conklin. Potulny rips a forehand five-hole to knot this game back up at 5 with just 2:27 left to play in the third period.
                          - Chad Onufrechuk Scores!! New Hampshire gains control of the puck near their own blueline, and O'Brien feeds the puck up to Onufrechuk who skates it into the Gopher zone along the far boards. Onufrechuk then fires a seemingly harmless wrister on net, but Weber manages to only get a piece of it with his glove, and the puck trickles over the netminder's shoulder and into the net. UNH regains the lead 6-5 with 1:39 left in the 3rd. Coach Lucia takes his timeout.
                          - Minnesota's net is empty, as the Gophers win the faceoff and dump the puck into the Wildcat zone...this should be a tremendous final 90 seconds here in Providence!
                          - Vanek misses just high! Ballard's slapper finds its way through, but Conklin makes the pad save. The rebound shoots out to Vanek who has room on the glove side, but fires the puck just over the crossbar. 45 seconds left...
                          - Potulny with a chance, but Conklin gets the stick on it and it deflects out of play. Minnesota with an offensive zone draw with just 21.6 seconds left in the 3rd. 6-5 UNH
                          - Mike Souza Scores!! Riddle wins the draw for the Gophers, but Jason Krog intercepts a pass intended for Vanek. Krog then finds Souza streaking up the near boards, and Souza skates it down for the empty netter. UNH up 7-5 with 10 seconds left.
                          - And the final buzzer sounds. New Hampshire advances to the Second Round with a 7-5 win. The Wildcats finished the game with 28 shots on goal, while Minnesota put up 32 in the losing effort. What a game! The 1998-1999 UNH Wildcats now advance to take on...the Minnesota Golden Gophers...well, the 1980-1981 version.
                          Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 05-18-2013, 12:20 PM.
                          North Dakota

Comment

Just curious on where 69-70 Clarkson team (#2 in the East and #2 in the Nation) fell?
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by fr joe
                              Uhn! Uhn! Uhn!
                              Did you notice they won...

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Just curious on where 69-70 Clarkson team (#2 in the East and #2 in the Nation) fell?
                                The '69-70 Clarkson squad finished at #300 with 76.6567 Points. Probably the two biggest things that held them back were that they lost 1/4 of their games, while only playing 32 total, and the fact that they were blocked by Cornell that season for every major award that they could have received.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X