Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

The penalty on Ulmer was BS!! The refs suck!
    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
      The penalty on Ulmer was BS!! The refs suck!
      It's an ECAC crew
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Can I add a few comments on how the styles of hockey in the 70's might affect how games are played.?

Back in the late 60's and to the 70's, the reffing was different depending on where you played. the ECAC did not allow much physicality and banging that was quite normal in western hockey was penalized pretty much every time in the east.. So teams on the west, meaning Any thing ccha or wcha today, typically were much more physical, much bigger, and you did not dare as an opponent, go behind the net with the puck. If you did you could expect to really get smacked against the boards. Also defensemen in the west would talk about finishing their checks. This meant a lot of getting close to a forward and holding/ shoving him towards the boards well after the puck had gone.

So the west had an advantage for the most part when any of this was allowed, which was quite often in the ncaa's. I think you'll see the smaller quicker eastern teams typically lost to the western teams up until the mid 80's when reffing became more uniform and the small player could compete.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          Can I add a few comments on how the styles of hockey in the 70's might affect how games are played.?

Back in the late 60's and to the 70's, the reffing was different depending on where you played. the ECAC did not allow much physicality and banging that was quite normal in western hockey was penalized pretty much every time in the east.. So teams on the west, meaning Any thing ccha or wcha today, typically were much more physical, much bigger, and you did not dare as an opponent, go behind the net with the puck. If you did you could expect to really get smacked against the boards. Also defensemen in the west would talk about finishing their checks. This meant a lot of getting close to a forward and holding/ shoving him towards the boards well after the puck had gone.

So the west had an advantage for the most part when any of this was allowed, which was quite often in the ncaa's. I think you'll see the smaller quicker eastern teams typically lost to the western teams up until the mid 80's when reffing became more uniform and the small player could compete.
          This was definitely something that I had to deal with as well. How I overcame the disparities (not so much between different conferences within the same season), was that I looked at the average penalty minutes for the conference, and then how the specific team compared to the rest of their conference. It's certainly not perfect, but it helps keep the field somewhat even when comparing a team from say 1975 and 2010...at least in regards to penalty minutes.
          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            #57 - 1999-2000 North Dakota Fighting Sioux vs. #72 - 2003-2004 Boston College Eagles
            March 3, 2013
            First Niagara Center - Buffalo, NY

Game Update Post

3rd Period:
            - Can you feel that tension in the air?? The puck has dropped for the third period...
            - North Dakota coming out strong to start the 3rd, as Panzer's pass for Goren nearly connects...Goren would have been all by himself
            - North Dakota will head back to the powerplay, as Brian Boyle gets called for tripping Jason Notermann in the BC zone. 18:46 left in the 3rd
            - Wes Dorey is stonewalled by Matti! North Dakota wins an offensive zone draw, and the Sioux swing it around to the far side where Brad Defauw lets loose a wrister that Matti gets a piece. The rebound finds Dorey's stick who tries to jam it home, but Matti gets his pad over in time to stuff the attempt. Under 1:00 left in the powerplay
            - Jeff Panzer scores!! Jason Ulmer keeps BCs clearing attempt in the zone, and finds Panzer at the near dot. Panzer one times the puck just below Matti's blocker for the goal, and North Dakota takes a 2-1 lead on the powerplay score. 16:55 left in the 3rd.
            - The Sioux are trying to capitalize on their momentum following the goal, but BC continues to get in their way, redirecting and blocking North Dakota's attempts. 15:30 left in the 3rd.
            - Ryan Hale nearly gives the Sioux a 3-1 advantage, but Matti comes up with another critical save in the early part of the third period. 13:30 left in the 3rd.
            - Mike Commodore nearly scores, as his blast from the point gets tipped in front of Matti, but goes just wide of the goal. 12:00 left in the 3rd.
            - Patrick Eaves scores!! Patrick Eaves crushes home a rebound, after Ben Eaves unleashed a wicked wrister that Goehring got a piece of, but was unable to control. Patrick Eaves then came crashing into the crease, and put the puck in the back of the net to tie this one at 2. 10:08 left in the 3rd.
            - Both teams are a little cautious right now, just trying to make sure not to make that crucial mistake. 8:00 left in the 3rd.
            - North Dakota will head back to the powerplay! Chris Collins gets called for a slash in the neutral zone, and the Sioux will have the man advantage with 7:08 left in the 3rd.
            - Panzer hits the crossbar!! Roche finds Panzer on the doorstep, but his flick over Matti hits the crossbar, and we're still tied at 2. Under 1 minute left on the powerplay.
            - BC kills the penalty, but North Dakota has all the momentum right now. 4:30 left in the 3rd.
            - Lee Goren Scores!! North Dakota comes in on a 3x2, and Ulmer feeds a drop back pass to Panzer who finds Goren at the near post. Goren slams home the pass and North Dakota takes a 3-2 lead with just 3:00 left in the 3rd.
            - Boston College playing all out now, defenders pinching in and getting anything and everything on net. 2:15 left in the 3rd.
            - BC draws a penalty! Chris Leinweber is called for tripping with just 1:05 to play in the 3rd.
            - BC has called their timeout
            - BC has pulled Matti
            - Voce gets stuffed by Goehring! With just 13 seconds left to play, Voce gets the puck below the far circle, and tries to jam one home, but Goehring gets over just in time to make the save.
            - That's the game! North Dakota wins it 3-2. BC's last second chance gets blocked by Commodore, and the buzzer rings.
            - Shots on Goal in the third: North Dakota - 12 (27 total), BC - 11 (37 total)
            - North Dakota will move on to play the #8 seed - 1984-1985 National Champion RPI
            North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
              - Voce gets stuffed by Goehring! With just 13 seconds left to play, Voce gets the puck below the far circle, and tries to jam one home, but Goehring gets over just in time to make the save.
              - That's the game! North Dakota wins it 3-2. BC's last second chance gets blocked by Commodore, and the buzzer rings.
              - Shots on Goal in the third: North Dakota - 12 (27 total), BC - 11 (37 total)
              - North Dakota will move on to play the #8 seed - 1984-1985 National Champion RPI
              Bring 'em on!!! Let's go RED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                Bring 'em on!!! Let's go RED!!!
                Maybe I'll allow Jon Casey to suit up for the Sioux.
                North Dakota

Comment

Late in the season most NHL fans dream of next year's team matching the 1972 Dolphins. Geriatric/nostalgic college hockey fans instead focus upon sour grapes and trash talk. Maybe if they demanded perfection rater than settle for and celebrate mediocrity their teams would do better.

Comment

So for those that have been following the tournament, I thought I would give sort of an update on where I see it progressing.

There are still 30 First Round Games left to be played. We've played 6 so far. At this pace, this tournament is likely to stretch through the offseason and into next season. I'm okay with that, but I know some people enjoy having tournaments end in a reasonable time period. The reason why its taking so long is that the updates require me to have about 2-3 hours of time to sit in front of my computer and type out the game updates. That only happens maybe 2-3 times/week. At that pace, it will take anywhere from about 30-45 weeks to finish this tournament up (somewhere around early October to mid January). Now, it's possible that my schedule will allow me to do maybe 5-7 games/week (or perhaps more if I can do more than 1 game/day). In that case, the tournament would probably finish up sometime during July or August. So, I thought about some options, and let me know what you think...

1) Everything stays the same, and the tournament will get done when it gets done.

2) I get some help from some of the posters around here. Basically, I would send the "box score" sheet out to those people helping me, and we could have a group do game reports. I would probably need to explain how to interpret the "box score" as well, so it may involve either some email communication back and forth or a phone call (or two). This way, we could probably get 7-10 games done in a week, and the tournament would be done sometime in June.

3) I shorten my updates, and basically post everything all at once. This would probably be done in a quasi-journalistic manner. This would allow me to do the write-up, and then just post it for everyone to read. There would be no pseudo-play by play, but it would probably allow the process to be done sometime towards the end of the summer (I would shoot for August).

4) I simply post the box score. Similar to option 3, you would simply get to look at a box score. This would be the quickest option for me, as I would basically just need to translate the "box score" that I get into the type of box score that we all recognize. I could probably post anywhere from 5-10 of these per week, and the tournament would be done early in the summer most likely.

5) Some other option that you suggest.

Anyway, let me know what your thoughts are. Until a path has been chosen (or we stay on the same path), I'll continue to post games as I have.

The next game will be Wednesday. It will see the 1988-1989 Harvard Crimson (#35) take on the 2006-2007 Boston College Eagles (#94).
                    North Dakota

Comment

So for those that have been following the tournament, I thought I would give sort of an update on where I see it progressing.

There are still 30 First Round Games left to be played. We've played 6 so far. At this pace, this tournament is likely to stretch through the offseason and into next season. I'm okay with that, but I know some people enjoy having tournaments end in a reasonable time period. The reason why its taking so long is that the updates require me to have about 2-3 hours of time to sit in front of my computer and type out the game updates. That only happens maybe 2-3 times/week. At that pace, it will take anywhere from about 30-45 weeks to finish this tournament up (somewhere around early October to mid January). Now, it's possible that my schedule will allow me to do maybe 5-7 games/week (or perhaps more if I can do more than 1 game/day). In that case, the tournament would probably finish up sometime during July or August. So, I thought about some options, and let me know what you think...

1) Everything stays the same, and the tournament will get done when it gets done.

2) I get some help from some of the posters around here. Basically, I would send the "box score" sheet out to those people helping me, and we could have a group do game reports. I would probably need to explain how to interpret the "box score" as well, so it may involve either some email communication back and forth or a phone call (or two). This way, we could probably get 7-10 games done in a week, and the tournament would be done sometime in June.

3) I shorten my updates, and basically post everything all at once. This would probably be done in a quasi-journalistic manner. This would allow me to do the write-up, and then just post it for everyone to read. There would be no pseudo-play by play, but it would probably allow the process to be done sometime towards the end of the summer (I would shoot for August).

4) I simply post the box score. Similar to option 3, you would simply get to look at a box score. This would be the quickest option for me, as I would basically just need to translate the "box score" that I get into the type of box score that we all recognize. I could probably post anywhere from 5-10 of these per week, and the tournament would be done early in the summer most likely.

Anyway, let me know what your thoughts are. Until a path has been chosen (or we stay on the same path), I'll continue to post games as I have.

The next game will be Wednesday. It will see the 1988-1989 Harvard Crimson (#35) take on the 2006-2007 Boston College Eagles (#94).
                      #1 for me, no contest. I do not care about the pace because I enjoy reading your game updates since they make the games seem so real. That, and I always enjoy a few outrageous Osorojo posts (redundant, I know), especially during summer time when the board slows down.

Comment

I like your enthusiasm and attention to detail. For myself, I generally skip past the play-by-play to see who won but that's [one of] my own peculiarit[yies]. I can tell people who knew the teams and players would probably enjoy the play-by-play as it brings images and memories to mind.

So, I'd vote for # 4 then # 1 and be completely okay if # 1 was the consensus favorite.

Either give us the winners; or give us the details, in other words. Thanks again.

Some of us [ahem] actually did learn critical reading skills. I think it had less to do with where one went to school and more to do with when one went to school, although that is a subjective judgment based on personal anecdotal experience.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

#1, I enjoy your narratives!
                          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                            #62 - 2001-2002 New Hampshire Wildcats vs. #67 - 1994-1995 Michigan Wolverines
                            That really doesn't surprise me that the simulator had Haydar at the end. Watching the few years he's played in the AHL for the Chicago Wolves, he's the AHL's Pavel Datsyuk.

I'll never forget the GWG he scored with 0.1 on the clock for the Wolves. What a fun player to watch.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I lean towards #1 as I appreciate the quality of your write-ups. Worth the wait from my point of view. Admittedly, I don't read all the detail in every game, but do if I know one of the teams.
                              Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

First of all, Awesome concept and thread (as usual) FS23. Can't wait to see a program take on itself down the road.

I think #1 or #3 is fine. Skimmed through all 6 pages today, paying more attention to some of the games where I knew the teams better. May I suggest highlighting the scoring plays, so those of us skimming through can get a better sense of the score and players on some of the teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X