Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

I was trying to find the bracket for this tournament (had it bookmarked but then lost the bookmark.)

I found this link instead: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...ms-of-all-time
    The article author's top 10 college hockey teams of all time.

Similar teams to FS23 list in different order.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Puck just dropped in this game. The Hockey East officiating crew had to wait for the arena to stop shaking after an amazing ovation from the crowd for today's National Anthem singers...Fall Out Boy. Who will be going down in one of these earlier rounds? Who will get more than they bargained for? Well, I'll be back after the first twenty minutes to give an update!
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        Puck just dropped in this game. The Hockey East officiating crew had to wait for the arena to stop shaking after an amazing ovation from the crowd for today's National Anthem singers...Fall Out Boy. Who will be going down in one of these earlier rounds? Who will get more than they bargained for?
        Ha!
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

What an exciting first period of action! Both teams came out strong and were flying up and down the ice. Johnny Pohl had a clean breakaway early on, but Peter Mannino made a tremendous kick save to keep the game scoreless. Denver struck first after Jeff Taffe tripped Luke Fulghum in the neutral zone and got called for a tripping penalty. Stastny won an offensive zone draw to Skinner who dished the puck over to Carle, and Matt Carle blasted a slapper past Adam Hauser to give the Pioneers a 1-0 lead. Denver nearly went up two, but Kevin Ulanski's wrister clipped the crossbar midway through the period. The Gophers finally knotted things back up when Taffe deflected a Paul Martin shot from the point that fooled Mannino. The officials reviewed to see if it was played with a high stick, but determined that it was not. Despite both teams trying their best the rest of the way, the first period ended 1-1.
          North Dakota

Comment

Second period is in the books, and both sets of fans are sitting on their hands waiting for the third to start in this firecracker. Denver regained the lead at 2-1 early in the second, when Ryan Dingle capitalized on a juicy rebound left by Hauser after J.D. Corbin's wrister hit Hauser's glove and laid in the crease for what seemed like minutes before Dingle slammed the puck in the back of the net to put the Pioneers up a goal. The Gophers came right back when Nick Anthony lit the lamp to knot the score at 2 just about 90 seconds later. The two teams then locked in and played up and down hockey, with both goalies playing well. Minnesota managed to take a late lead in the second when Jordan Leopold blasted home a slapper on the man advantage, and it looked like Minnesota would be up one heading into the third. Paul Stastny had other plans, and with just under a minute to go in the second Stastny one-timed a beautiful feed from Gabe Gauthier past Hauser and after forty minutes of action, we're all square at 3 apiece!
            North Dakota

Comment

What a tremendous finish to this game...instant classic! Minnesota came out strong in the third period, and Barry Tallackson put the Gophers up 4-3 just over three minutes into the final frame, slipping a wrister five hole on Mannino. The Pioneers were resilient though, and responded with strong play that led to a man advantage opportunity. Geoff Paukovich would prove an effective screen, and Hauser was unable to see Matt Carle's blast from the point until the last second. While Hauser got a piece of the puck, he couldn't control the rebound, and Paukovich tapped the puck in the net to tie it up. Both teams sought desperately to get the game winner. Who would get it? You'll have to click on the link below to find out!

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/2...a-Gophers.html

North Dakota

Comment

I don't know how believable this one is - Mannino letting in 4 goals?
                Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                  I don't know how believable this one is - Mannino letting in 4 goals?
                  While Mannino got hot in the NCAA Tournament, he had given up 4 or more goals in 5 of his 23 starts that season. Of course, in March and April of that season he allowed only 5 goals total in 6 games for a 0.83 GAA, and a .975 Save %
                  North Dakota

Comment

I was afraid you were setting me up for a rodent victory But Talent and skill won out

Today hockey is still the primary (a)vocation for almost all the DU players in the game write up.
                    Carle and Stastny--NHL
                    Skinner and Mannino--AHL
                    Dingle(Italy) and Halme(Finland) --Europe
                    Fulghum and Paukovich--ECHL
                    Gauthier recently appointed head coach and general manager of junior hockey in Las Vegas
                    The lone exception, Corbin is now an Equity Trader for RBC in the Twin Cities
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

Now that I have a bit more time, I thought I would bump this thread, and try to come up with a realistic way to finish this thing off.

As of now, we're still in the Round of 64. There is no way that I will finish this thing if I only do 1 game/week. My goal was to be to the Sweet 16 by the time the actual season started. There are 33 games left to be played (17 left in the Round of 64, then 16 in the Round of 32) until the Sweet 16. That would mean I would have to get approximately 4 games done per week for the next two months. Given how this tournament has gone thus far, that just isn't realistic. Consequently, I am going to propose the following:

1) I will simply simulate the remaining 17 games left in the Round of 64, and do a VERY brief recap here. If I get time, I will do a write-up. That gets us to the Round of 32.
                      2) I will do 8 of the 16 Round of 32 games (1/week) with a normal recap, and do a brief recap here of the remaining 8 games (I'll let people nominate what games they want the full recaps for). that would get us to the end of the Round of 32 by the start of the season.
                      3) I will then do each of the 8 Round of 16 games with a normal recap. Again, this will be done at the pace of about 1/week, with the goal of getting to the Quarterfinals by Thanksgiving. If the round of 16 is not completed by the Monday before Thanksgiving, I'll simulate with a brief recap to complete the Round of 16.
                      4) The weekend of Thanksgiving, I'll start the Quarterfinals, doing the quasi play-by-play recaps here (along with a normal recap on CHW). My goal is to get the QFs done by Cyber Monday.
                      5) The Frozen Four and Championship will then be held after Christmas, sometime around New Year's Day. If people would be interested, I'll do a full-blown game thread for these games.

Ultimately, I'm going to have basically zero time between the beginning of January and the beginning of March. That means that if I want to finish this tournament up by then, I'm going to have to stick to some version of this timeline.

Anyway, if people are okay with this timeline, I'll get started on the simulations. If not, then we'll have to come up with another plan.
                      North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                        Now that I have a bit more time, I thought I would bump this thread, and try to come up with a realistic way to finish this thing off.

As of now, we're still in the Round of 64. There is no way that I will finish this thing if I only do 1 game/week. My goal was to be to the Sweet 16 by the time the actual season started. There are 33 games left to be played (17 left in the Round of 64, then 16 in the Round of 32) until the Sweet 16. That would mean I would have to get approximately 4 games done per week for the next two months. Given how this tournament has gone thus far, that just isn't realistic. Consequently, I am going to propose the following:

1) I will simply simulate the remaining 17 games left in the Round of 64, and do a VERY brief recap here. If I get time, I will do a write-up. That gets us to the Round of 32.
                        2) I will do 8 of the 16 Round of 32 games (1/week) with a normal recap, and do a brief recap here of the remaining 8 games (I'll let people nominate what games they want the full recaps for). that would get us to the end of the Round of 32 by the start of the season.
                        3) I will then do each of the 8 Round of 16 games with a normal recap. Again, this will be done at the pace of about 1/week, with the goal of getting to the Quarterfinals by Thanksgiving. If the round of 16 is not completed by the Monday before Thanksgiving, I'll simulate with a brief recap to complete the Round of 16.
                        4) The weekend of Thanksgiving, I'll start the Quarterfinals, doing the quasi play-by-play recaps here (along with a normal recap on CHW). My goal is to get the QFs done by Cyber Monday.
                        5) The Frozen Four and Championship will then be held after Christmas, sometime around New Year's Day. If people would be interested, I'll do a full-blown game thread for these games.

Ultimately, I'm going to have basically zero time between the beginning of January and the beginning of March. That means that if I want to finish this tournament up by then, I'm going to have to stick to some version of this timeline.

Anyway, if people are okay with this timeline, I'll get started on the simulations. If not, then we'll have to come up with another plan.

Yes follow what I proposed to you some time back. Shorter recaps of the games, move this forward especially the Round of 64. Should put the link up of the bracket if there still is one for public view.

Comment

Works for me.
                          Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Just jump to the Frozen Four:

1993 Maine v. 1970 Cornell
                            and
                            1987 North Dakota v. 1961 Denver

Hrkac and Belfour v. Kariya for the title.
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

So, I went the simulation route for the rest of the Round of 64.

#32 - 1948-1949 Boston College Eagles vs. #33 - 1967-1968 Cornell Big Red

A thrilling back and forth game up in the Northeast Regional saw BC and Cornell skate into a second extra session of hockey following a 2-2 score after regulation and the first overtime. Unfortunately for the Eagles, Ken Dryden was a stonewall in the extra frames, and Dan Lodboa ripped a slapshot from the far circle that found the back of the net with just a few minutes left before a third extra frame would have been required. Cornell is on to the Round of 32 with a 3-2 (2OT) victory.

#17 - 2003-2004 North Dakota Fighting Sioux vs. #81 - 1985-1986 Michigan State Spartans

Dean Blais' Fighting Sioux squad stormed out to an early 2-0 lead after the first period, but the Spartans were relentless in the second period to draw even after forty minutes of play. Zach Parise scored an absolutely beautiful goal in the first minute of the third, but Mike Donnelly put three straight up on the board, including an empty netter with just over a minute to play to seal the deal. Michigan State advances to the Round of 32 with a 5-3 victory.

#9 - 1961-1962 Michigan Tech Huskies vs. #56 - 1990-1991 LSSU Lakers

The UP rivals met in the last Northeast Regional Round of 64 matchup, and the two squads skated to a 0-0 draw after twenty minutes. Michigan Tech took control in the second, scoring twice to lead 2-0 after the second period. LSSU made it close, inching within a goal midway through the final frame, but Lou Angotti's twisted wrister from the slot with four minutes to play found the top shelf. The Huskies added another empty netter with just seconds to play, and Michigan Tech advanced to the next round with a 4-1 win.

#29 - 1959-1960 Denver Pioneers vs. #36 - 1989-1990 Wisconsin Badgers

These two former WCHA rivals squared off in the Midwest Regional Round of 64 matchup, and it was Duane Derksen that stood on his head, shutting out the Pioneers through sixty minutes. The Badgers struggled to get their offense going early as well, but finally Tom Sagissor found the net late in the second period to give Wisconsin the 1-0 lead through forty minutes of play. The Badgers added two more in the third, and advance to the Round of 32 with an impressive 3-0 shutout of the Pioneers.

#5 - 1990-1991 Northern Michigan Wildcats vs. #60 - 1998-1999 Maine Black Bears

It was a mismatch in this Round of 64 matchup. The Wildcats dominated from the opening drop of the puck, scoring twice in the first five minutes to stake out a 2-0 lead. The Black Bears rallied after a powerplay goal to climb back into the game, but a late furry resulted in a Northern goal to put the Wildcats up 3-1 after twenty minutes. Scott Beattie added to the Black Bear misery with a second period hattrick, and after forty minutes, NMU led 6-1. The teams traded goals in the third, but when the final horn rang, the Wildcats advanced to the Round of 32 with a 7-2 victory.

#12 - 1968-1969 Cornell Big Red vs. #76 - 1964-1965 Michigan Tech Huskies

Ken Dryden and Tony Esposito staged one of the best goaltending exhibitions that college hockey has ever seen in this classic matchup. Neither side was able to find the back of the net in regulation, and it looked as though Cornell advanced midway through the first overtime, but after review, the officials determined that the puck never crossed the line, hitting the crossbar, bouncing down off the right post, and then Esposito made a flailing sticksave before the puck crossed the line. Finally, midway through the third extra session, Peter Tufford's wrister from the point beat a screened Esposito, and the Big Red advanced to the Round of 32 with a 1-0 triple overtime victory.

#21 - 2010-2011 North Dakota Fighting Sioux vs. #44 - 2000-2001 North Dakota Fighting Sioux

Dean Blais vs. Dave Hakstol for a trip to the Round of 32. The '01 Sioux scored first, but it would be Matt Frattin that would prove impossible to stop. Trailing 1-0 early in the second, Frattin went on a scoring rampage with blistering wristers that beat Karl Goehring time after time. When the rampage was over, hats were on the ice and the '11 Sioux squad led 3-1 after forty minutes of play. Ryan Bayda got the '01 Sioux within a goal, but Aaron Dell made a tremendous save on Quinn Fylling in the dying embers to preserve the '11 Sioux lead. When the final horn ended, the 2010-2011 North Dakota squad advanced to the Round of 32 with a 3-2 victory.

Here are the remaining games that are still in the process of being simulated, and I will post their results/recaps either later today or tomorrow:

#31 - 1996-1997 North Dakota Fighting Sioux vs. #95 - 1965-1966 Clarkson Golden Knights
                              #15 - 1966-1967 Cornell Big Red vs. #50 - 1982-1983 Minnesota Golden Gophers
                              #7 - 1976-1977 Wisconsin Badgers vs. #71 - 1988-1989 Minnesota Golden Gophers
                              #10 - 1997-1998 Michigan State Spartans vs. #74 - 2009-2010 Miami RedHawks
                              #23 - 1979-1980 North Dakota Fighting Sioux vs. #42 - 2005-2006 Wisconsin Badgers
                              #19 - 1995-1996 Michigan Wolverines vs. #46 - 1996-1997 Michigan Wolverines
                              #6 - 2008-2009 Boston University Terriers vs. #59 - 1987-1988 Maine Black Bears
                              #27 - 2007-2008 Michigan Wolverines vs. #38 - 2002-2003 Colorado College Tigers
                              #11 - 1977-1978 Boston University Terriers vs. #75 - 1978-1979 Minnesota Golden Gophers
                              #22 - 1955-1956 Michigan Wolverines vs. #86 - 1974-1975 Michigan Tech Huskies

When those games are finished, I'll ask for votes for the 8 Round of 32 games that people would like to see more detail with. I'll then do 1 of those 8 each week, along with one of the simulated 8 games.

Also, here is the link to the bracket...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/T...ment-2013.html
                              Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 08-11-2014, 09:15 AM.
                              North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                Just jump to the Frozen Four:

1993 Maine v. 1970 Cornell
                                and
                                1987 North Dakota v. 1961 Denver

Hrkac and Belfour v. Kariya for the title.

FWIW, the way my bracket is set up, it would be Hrkac and Belfour v. Kariya in the Semifinals...assuming both teams advance that far.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X