X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PerkyforPrez
    replied
    Re: The Future Of Bgsu Hockey

Great news for sure considering the way things seemed after last season.

I wish nothing but the best for the program except when they play the lakers ofcourse

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by Pops Ryan View Post
    to be direct, BGSU needs to look at the way they select coaches. they are not the only school who should be revisiting the hiring process, but they of all schools can not afford another mistake. Generally speaking, the alumni thing is over rated. I get the fundraising and recruiting components, but an alumni behind the bench does not translate into having a genuine Head Coach. If you want to raise money and want to recruit, guess what....you can do so much more efficiently if your team wins. Crass? Perhaps. True? Definitely
    For smaller programs, one advantage to having an alumni coach is if he is the guy to turn the thing around, he is that much less likely to bolt for a job at a bigger program, leaving your school looking for another new coach.

Leave a comment:

• Pops Ryan
    replied

to be direct, BGSU needs to look at the way they select coaches. they are not the only school who should be revisiting the hiring process, but they of all schools can not afford another mistake. Generally speaking, the alumni thing is over rated. I get the fundraising and recruiting components, but an alumni behind the bench does not translate into having a genuine Head Coach. If you want to raise money and want to recruit, guess what....you can do so much more efficiently if your team wins. Crass? Perhaps. True? Definitely

Leave a comment:

• MikeAnderson
    replied

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    Hmmm... just how much does a new ice plant run these days anyways??
    I've been told that a new install can run $1 million easy.

Leave a comment:

• SmartAxe
    replied

BG is real big into figure skating. Perhaps they should hit up some of their big name figure skating alums for donations as well. I mean if they get their olympian banners hanging in the ice arena for all to see then I don't see why they couldn't donate some funding to the arena project since it serves a dual purpose. Just another thought on possible donation sources..

Glad to hear that new funding was approved for rennovations. I hope it sticks this year and they follow through on their plans instead of pulling the plug on it again.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
    It's akin to "stimulus" money, but if it engenders other contributions and support, the total final value could very well be in the $8-$10M range. Great news for the new coach.
    That is a good point there, 4 million might get some improvements done, but whats not to say that BGSU doesn't just happen to have an area that needs to have somewhat decrative tiles on the wall or floor perhaps, and that for a small donation, BGSU supporters could have their names put on them. Easy money right there.

Leave a comment:

• elbojpb
    replied

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    Great news but what does 2.5 million get you?
    It's akin to "stimulus" money, but if it engenders other contributions and support, the total final value could very well be in the $8-$10M range. Great news for the new coach.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
    replied

Just returned from the crappiest vacation ever (save for the stellar Hockey Hall of Fame) and was quite pleased to see this. Congrats to BG's hockey team.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
    whatever 4 million gets you, the best thing is you don't put 4 million towards it then axe the program, more than likely.

I've been through that scenario with Notre Dame 2 times just this century, where they have announced major renovations, and then pulled the plug quietly and had them fade away into the night. But I don't think the situation was as precarious as it seems at BGSU. It is my understanding that the very viability of the arena itself to host a college hockey game has been questioned recently. It is taking a remarkable effort on the part of the facility to just maintain ice due to the age of the equipment in the building. I read late last season that they were unable to find parts for some things due to the age of some of it and the state of disrepair. Hopefully the 4 million dollars have been targeted directly for needed renovations and won't be spirited away for some other purposes. And if the reported fund-raising campaign for scholarship endowments is even half successful, BGSU hockey should be on much firmer ground going forward than is has been in the last year or so.
    Hmmm... just how much does a new ice plant run these days anyways??

Leave a comment:

• LSSULaker889294
    replied

Congrats to BGSU hockey fans, I'm happy for you guys. Great news for you guys for sure and probably the whole CCHA. Still some work to be done, but this helps greatly.

Leave a comment:

• IrishHockeyFan
    replied

whatever 4 million gets you, the best thing is you don't put 4 million towards it then axe the program, more than likely.

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    That's great that they're investing in the team if this goes through, but hasn't money like this been announced, only to be pulled away at a later date?
    I've been through that scenario with Notre Dame 2 times just this century, where they have announced major renovations, and then pulled the plug quietly and had them fade away into the night. But I don't think the situation was as precarious as it seems at BGSU. It is my understanding that the very viability of the arena itself to host a college hockey game has been questioned recently. It is taking a remarkable effort on the part of the facility to just maintain ice due to the age of the equipment in the building. I read late last season that they were unable to find parts for some things due to the age of some of it and the state of disrepair. Hopefully the 4 million dollars have been targeted directly for needed renovations and won't be spirited away for some other purposes. And if the reported fund-raising campaign for scholarship endowments is even half successful, BGSU hockey should be on much firmer ground going forward than is has been in the last year or so.

Leave a comment:

• Greyeagle
    replied

Great news for BGSU!

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    Great news but what does 2.5 million get you? New toilets?
    Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
    4.0 million will get you some nice toilets.
    $4MM gets you two toilets if you're the defense department.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by Larch View Post
    I wonder how much Huntsville donated?
    I passed a hat.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• Larch
    replied

I wonder how much Huntsville donated?

Good for them, I'm sure the fans and players were looking for anything showing support, and this is a good start.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by BGSU1988 View Post
    $4 million will get you a new roof, ice making equipment, seating and other creature comforts, and a helluva start to rebuilding this program. It may not be the total solution to our problems, but it's the best news we've had in a long time. It's a positive start, and they need to stay positive if they're going to turn this thing around.
    Amen to that. Beats pulling the plug on the program and turning the arena into a parking lot.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X