Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Future Of Bgsu Hockey

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
    whatever 4 million gets you, the best thing is you don't put 4 million towards it then axe the program, more than likely.

I've been through that scenario with Notre Dame 2 times just this century, where they have announced major renovations, and then pulled the plug quietly and had them fade away into the night. But I don't think the situation was as precarious as it seems at BGSU. It is my understanding that the very viability of the arena itself to host a college hockey game has been questioned recently. It is taking a remarkable effort on the part of the facility to just maintain ice due to the age of the equipment in the building. I read late last season that they were unable to find parts for some things due to the age of some of it and the state of disrepair. Hopefully the 4 million dollars have been targeted directly for needed renovations and won't be spirited away for some other purposes. And if the reported fund-raising campaign for scholarship endowments is even half successful, BGSU hockey should be on much firmer ground going forward than is has been in the last year or so.
    Hmmm... just how much does a new ice plant run these days anyways??
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Just returned from the crappiest vacation ever (save for the stellar Hockey Hall of Fame) and was quite pleased to see this. Congrats to BG's hockey team.
      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        Great news but what does 2.5 million get you?
        It's akin to "stimulus" money, but if it engenders other contributions and support, the total final value could very well be in the $8-$10M range. Great news for the new coach.

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
          It's akin to "stimulus" money, but if it engenders other contributions and support, the total final value could very well be in the $8-$10M range. Great news for the new coach.
          That is a good point there, 4 million might get some improvements done, but whats not to say that BGSU doesn't just happen to have an area that needs to have somewhat decrative tiles on the wall or floor perhaps, and that for a small donation, BGSU supporters could have their names put on them. Easy money right there.
          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

BG is real big into figure skating. Perhaps they should hit up some of their big name figure skating alums for donations as well. I mean if they get their olympian banners hanging in the ice arena for all to see then I don't see why they couldn't donate some funding to the arena project since it serves a dual purpose. Just another thought on possible donation sources..

Glad to hear that new funding was approved for rennovations. I hope it sticks this year and they follow through on their plans instead of pulling the plug on it again.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
              Hmmm... just how much does a new ice plant run these days anyways??
              I've been told that a new install can run $1 million easy.
              UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
              2006 Time Person of the Year
              Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
              It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

to be direct, BGSU needs to look at the way they select coaches. they are not the only school who should be revisiting the hiring process, but they of all schools can not afford another mistake. Generally speaking, the alumni thing is over rated. I get the fundraising and recruiting components, but an alumni behind the bench does not translate into having a genuine Head Coach. If you want to raise money and want to recruit, guess what....you can do so much more efficiently if your team wins. Crass? Perhaps. True? Definitely

Comment

Originally posted by Pops Ryan View Post
                  to be direct, BGSU needs to look at the way they select coaches. they are not the only school who should be revisiting the hiring process, but they of all schools can not afford another mistake. Generally speaking, the alumni thing is over rated. I get the fundraising and recruiting components, but an alumni behind the bench does not translate into having a genuine Head Coach. If you want to raise money and want to recruit, guess what....you can do so much more efficiently if your team wins. Crass? Perhaps. True? Definitely
                  For smaller programs, one advantage to having an alumni coach is if he is the guy to turn the thing around, he is that much less likely to bolt for a job at a bigger program, leaving your school looking for another new coach.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Great news for sure considering the way things seemed after last season.

I wish nothing but the best for the program except when they play the lakers ofcourse
                    BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      For smaller programs, one advantage to having an alumni coach is if he is the guy to turn the thing around, he is that much less likely to bolt for a job at a bigger program, leaving your school looking for another new coach.
                      UAH went through this dilemma a couple of years ago after Doug Ross retired. The sentimental choice was Lance West, a longtime assistant and player under Ross. However, the department went in a different direction.

Last I heard Westy was doing well up at Anchorage. I wonder if he applied for the BGSU job when it came open.
                      UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                      2006 Time Person of the Year
                      Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                      It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by Pops Ryan View Post
                        to be direct, BGSU needs to look at the way they select coaches.
                        Considering the recent state of the program, I don't believe they could have gotten a better benchmeister. Perhaps if the money & support materializes as they envision, BGSU could become a destination rather than a ~means~ to a destination. BGSU coaching alum are everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                          UAH went through this dilemma a couple of years ago after Doug Ross retired. The sentimental choice was Lance West, a longtime assistant and player under Ross. However, the department went in a different direction.

Last I heard Westy was doing well up at Anchorage. I wonder if he applied for the BGSU job when it came open.
                          Actually, Lance is at Alaska-Fairbanks. I really doubt that he applied for the BG job. I remember him saying that he wasn't the type to jump from program to program. He's doing a good job here, the team exceeded everyone's expectations, and he seems to have a great relationship with the players and staff.

Just my impression, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Wondering View Post
                            Actually, Lance is at Alaska-Fairbanks. I really doubt that he applied for the BG job. I remember him saying that he wasn't the type to jump from program to program. He's doing a good job here, the team exceeded everyone's expectations, and he seems to have a great relationship with the players and staff.

Just my impression, of course.
                            Good deal. Always did like Westy, and not just because he was a good drinking buddy...

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Now that the University and state have done their part, the burden falls on the alumni to be actively involved. That means attending games and/or contributing financially. Reminiscing about the old days isn't enough. This program won't survive without consistent alumni support that other successful programs exhibit.
                              This year the program offers an inexpensive season ticket package for those of you who can't attend games due to being out of the area. Check it out on the new BGSUFalcons.com website. For those of you on LinkedIn, there is a Bowling Green Hockey group that gives weekly updates on the program as well as the BG Hockey on Facebook, which is huge.
                              There is no reason this program can't return to dominance it once held. Hockey is Bowling Green's legacy; not any other sport. Get involved!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                                Congrats to BGSU hockey fans, I'm happy for you guys. Great news for you guys for sure and probably the whole CCHA. Still some work to be done, but this helps greatly.
                                Yeah that is really good news. We don't want to lose any NCAA hockey teams.
                                Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                                Eric's Twitter
                                The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Working...
                                X