X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patman
    replied
    Originally posted by defkit View Post
    I just watched that play on the DVR. Wow, what a big miss by the refs. I wonder if they would have reviewed the play if he had scored on that. I imagine the BC bench must have been going ballistic.
    This leads to another question that came up (at least for me) last week... How much of the play is reviewable?

Leave a comment:

• defkit
    replied
    Re: The Beanpot 2013 It's Anyone's Game!

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Who needs to backcheck when you have 5 OTHER teammates on the ice already playing defense against the 5 opposing players. Might as well sit at the blue line and wait for a breakaway while the HE refs forget how to count to 6.
    I just watched that play on the DVR. Wow, what a big miss by the refs. I wonder if they would have reviewed the play if he had scored on that. I imagine the BC bench must have been going ballistic.

Leave a comment:

• claver2010
    replied

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
    You can make a case that Roy is better at this point in his career.
    is this this year's version of Wilson > Gaudreau?

After watching Roy closely for most of the game last night, I would argue that he is not. Until he learns to skate fast going both ways on the ice, he's going to have trouble going beyond the college game. I was actually shocked at how little effort he put into back-checking. Perhaps one game is not a good barometer, and maybe the hat-trick against BU went to his head, but I can tell you that if a BU player put in the back-checking effort that Roy did, even on one shift, they would ride the pine for most of the rest of the game. I'm surprised that Madigan is ok with him doing that. The difference between Roy and Saponari on that front was striking.

Great offensive skills. But for his sake, I hope Madigan forces him to play at both ends of the rink.
    FWIW he's improved but as a Ranger fan I think Tortorella's head would explode if he watched Gaudreau play D. Haven't seen enough of Roy to judge but from the season opener you could tell he is a special offensive player

Leave a comment:

• Nick Papagiorgio
    replied

After watching Roy closely for most of the game last night, I would argue that he is not. Until he learns to skate fast going both ways on the ice, he's going to have trouble going beyond the college game. I was actually shocked at how little effort he put into back-checking. Perhaps one game is not a good barometer, and maybe the hat-trick against BU went to his head, but I can tell you that if a BU player put in the back-checking effort that Roy did, even on one shift, they would ride the pine for most of the rest of the game. I'm surprised that Madigan is ok with him doing that. The difference between Roy and Saponari on that front was striking.

Great offensive skills. But for his sake, I hope Madigan forces him to play at both ends of the rink.
    Who needs to backcheck when you have 5 OTHER teammates on the ice already playing defense against the 5 opposing players. Might as well sit at the blue line and wait for a breakaway while the HE refs forget how to count to 6.

Leave a comment:

• defkit
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LTsatch
    replied

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I'm taking this to mean that you're saying Roy is having a better freshman year than Gaudreau had. That's why I brought up the fact that Roy isn't just older than Gaudreau was as a freshman, he's older than him period.
    Nobody is older than QPac, they could be Roy's illegitimate baby daddies.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I'm taking this to mean that you're saying Roy is having a better freshman year than Gaudreau had. That's why I brought up the fact that Roy isn't just older than Gaudreau was as a freshman, he's older than him period.

Leave a comment:

• Tater
    replied

It's not just the three months. One is a sophomore and one a freshman.
    I understand your point that since they are the same age, they should be compared equally. Not sure where you are going with the quote above which is where I was originally going. Having played a full year of college hockey is an advantage to Gaudreau.

Leave a comment:

• claver2010
    replied

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
    If Roy had scored on that breakaway, how would they award the +? NU would get a +6 for everyone on the ice?
    Only 6?

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

It's not just the three months. One is a sophomore and one a freshman.

Leave a comment:

• Carmine Scarpaglia
    replied

Tough to compare. They are two different kinds of players. Roy is a sniper that knows how to score - very good shot. Gaudreau is more rounded overall in scoring/setup ability with less of a shot but better one on one moves and ridiculous vision.

Leave a comment:

• Tater
    replied

Not to take anything away from Roy, but he's also older than Gaudreau.
    OK, by a whopping 3 months, but point taken.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

Not to take anything away from Roy, but he's also older than Gaudreau.

Leave a comment:

• Tater
    replied

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
    Brown fans cringe every time that kid hits the ice. He may be the next Johnny Hockey.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Husky
    replied

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
    Brown fans cringe every time that kid hits the ice. He may be the next Johnny Hockey.
    True stuff!,I just fear that after last years exodus we will see him leaving as well,and that would be a very bad thing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X