No announcement yet.

The Beanpot 2013 It's Anyone's Game!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Beanpot 2013 It's Anyone's Game!

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Actually, Dave, I didn't claim to see this. In fact, if you could read, I asked if it actually happened.
    Hey, Easy Reader! It's eric you're replying to!
    Bugs Bunny - 96
    Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

The BC/BU folks might not want to hear this but really, the long-term health of the Beanpot as a signature Boston institution depends on both Northeastern and Harvard once again becoming consistently competitive. Interest in the tournament was never as high or intense as it was in the '80s when all four teams were good, any of them could beat any of the others on any given night, and the pot was literally up for grabs. If interest has waned in recent years, it's because it has become semi-predictable. This is not a knock on either BC or BU but it is an indictment of long-term incompetence and mismanagement in the athletic depts. of both N and H.

But now, the Huskies have KRoy and seem to have a promising inbound pipeline while the Crimson looked to be stepping up until the academic scandal hit. If I'm right in sensing progress being made, I sure hope nothing happens to blow it all up. The Beanpot deserves better.
      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

I'll still be rooting for BC, but I certainly won't be devastated like Wade Megan should NU win. Winning the Beanpot isn't everything. But, your overall point is something that has been said for years now. I used to believe it, but I'm not sure anymore. Obviously all four teams being good is ideal, but the Beanpot still seems to do pretty well even in its current stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          The BC/BU folks might not want to hear this but really, the long-term health of the Beanpot as a signature Boston institution depends on both Northeastern and Harvard once again becoming consistently competitive.
          No one could possibly argue otherwise IMO.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

[QUOTE=Split-N;5622174]The BC/BU folks might not want to hear this but really, the long-term health of the Beanpot as a signature Boston institution depends on both Northeastern and Harvard once again becoming consistently competitive. Interest in the tournament was never as high or intense as it was in the '80s when all four teams were good, any of them could beat any of the others on any given night, and the pot was literally up for grabs. If interest has waned in recent years, it's because it has become semi-predictable.
            QUOTE]

This is why fans not rooting for BU or BC have quite frequently in the past few years expressed little or no interest in the Beanpot. It was a great tourney when we didn't see a BU/BC final every year and also when those teams didn't consistenly blow out Harvard and Northeastern. Gees when Northeastern hasn't beaten BU since 1988 there is little to get excited about. Here's hoping that Harvard and Northeastern can get back to the competive teams from the 1980s so the Beanpot can once again be meaningful for those fans that do not root for BU or BC.

Comment

Originally posted by Stack View Post
              This is why fans not rooting for BU or BC have quite frequently in the past few years expressed little or no interest in the Beanpot. It was a great tourney when we didn't see a BU/BC final every year and also when those teams didn't consistenly blow out Harvard and Northeastern.
              Counter point: it sells out every single year.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                Actually last year (the opening round at least) did not sell out.

Comment

[QUOTE=Stack;5622361]
                  Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                  The BC/BU folks might not want to hear this but really, the long-term health of the Beanpot as a signature Boston institution depends on both Northeastern and Harvard once again becoming consistently competitive. Interest in the tournament was never as high or intense as it was in the '80s when all four teams were good, any of them could beat any of the others on any given night, and the pot was literally up for grabs. If interest has waned in recent years, it's because it has become semi-predictable.
                  QUOTE]

This is why fans not rooting for BU or BC have quite frequently in the past few years expressed little or no interest in the Beanpot. It was a great tourney when we didn't see a BU/BC final every year and also when those teams didn't consistenly blow out Harvard and Northeastern. Gees when Northeastern hasn't beaten BU since 1988 there is little to get excited about. Here's hoping that Harvard and Northeastern can get back to the competive teams from the 1980s so the Beanpot can once again be meaningful for those fans that do not root for BU or BC.
                  You know Northeastern has gotten to the final now 3 out of the last 5 years beating all three of the other Beanpot teams to get there. Over the last 10 seasons, counting this one, bu and bc have only played in back to back finals once. NU has done their part, even playing well and coming close in the finals, so outside of not winning it they have been competitive, no matter how the lazy sports media here portrays it.

I mean, honestly, the final 2 years ago BC 7 NU 6 in OT was an amazing game. Probably one of the more riveting games I have even seen.
                  Last edited by Huskies01; 02-05-2013, 03:27 PM.
                  DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                    There have been quite a few Fenway sellouts recently. I checked Ticketmaster and there were a ton of tickets available as recently as last week.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                      Actually last year (the opening round at least) did not sell out.
                      not according to this. the last time a round didn't sell out was the 2001 final (I'm not sure if that is correct as the year before the final had the exact number in attendance so I'm not sure the deal. If that is the case those are counted as sellouts, then you would have to go back to the Blizzard of '78 to find a year that the beanpot didn't sell out.)
                      Originally posted by Bakunin
                      Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
                        There have been quite a few Fenway sellouts recently. I checked Ticketmaster and there were a ton of tickets available as recently as last week.
                        I think that what they are doing (including the fenway club) is counting the tickets that are sold to stubhub and acetickets as part of sales and the 'sellout', not who was actually in attendance.
                        Originally posted by Bakunin
                        Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
                          not according to this. the last time a round didn't sell out was the 2001 final (I'm not sure if that is correct as the year before the final had the exact number in attendance so I'm not sure the deal. If that is the case those are counted as sellouts, then you would have to go back to the Blizzard of '78 to find a year that the beanpot didn't sell out.)
                          Did you mean to put up a link that I'm missing?

Last years opening round has 16005 listed in the box score as attendnance. http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...oston-college/

Did 1560 people buy tickets and not show? It is possible but does not seem likely.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
                            I'm sure they're counting tickets sold but it's near impossible to judge total attendance when there is 1 ticket for 2 games.

Ex: It seemed like a fire drill was going on over in sections 306-308 around 7:45

Comment

Let's be honest, the biggest problem is Harvard. At least NU brings a big student population to the event. Harvard brings absolutely nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                                Did you mean to put up a link that I'm missing?

Last years opening round has 16005 listed in the box score as attendnance. http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...oston-college/

Did 1560 people buy tickets and not show? It is possible but does not seem likely.
                                They probably learned that whole tickets sold thing from the Red Sox. Fenway was half empty at the end of last year and some how the sellout streak continues. So 1500+ not showing up is nothing compared to how the Sox twist their numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X