Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Beanpot 2013 It's Anyone's Game!

Have fun with the thread title!

It's that time of year again folks,and I'm thankful we live in Boston (Best Hockey in the world!)

Here's the link for the Beanpot website:

http://www.beanpothockey.com/indexmen.html

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!
    Last edited by Happy Husky; 01-30-2013, 07:30 PM.

Re: The Beanpot 2013 It's Anyone's Game!

Could this be THE year, when NU and Harvard finally meet in the championship game? BC is reeling, and NU just beat BU a couple weeks ago.

Odds of NU and Harvard never meeting for the championship, in the 40 years when they could have (the other 20 they play in the first round): I have no idea. Any stats freaks want to give it a shot?
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

I'll go along with Go Huskies, because they haven't won in a long time, and I'm a Harvard fan/grad who disagrees that it's "anyone's game." Harvard is a dreadful team this year and they are so dead on arrival that I'm going to boycott watching the Beanpot for the first time in as long as I can remember. It will just be too ugly. And if by some miracle they beat BC, they'll lose the following week, because losing is what Harvard does under Ted Donato and what it will continue to do until we fire him and recruit a coach at least half as good as Jerry York or Jack Parker. Yes Harvard beat BU this year - one win among several losses on either side -- but they couldn't do so in a game that actually mattered. That's enough keystrokes wasted on Harvard. I yield to fans of the three teams in the tournament who deserve to be on the same ice with each other.

Comment

If BU and BC ever meet in the consolation final, would it still be a big game?

Comment

NU 9 BU 8

Roy with an Ovechtrick
          Last edited by Thiessen'sBetter; 01-30-2013, 08:36 PM. Reason: I've been told an Ovechtrick is 9 goals. Which makes no sense, but whatever.
          2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
          2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by 4faz View Post
            Harvard is a dreadful team this year and they are so dead on arrival that I'm going to boycott watching the Beanpot for the first time in as long as I can remember.
            Harvard was 4-3 with Patrick McNally (and the other suspended players), 1-10-1 without him/them. There are other factors on why Harvard has been so bad, but losing their best defenseman surely didn't help.
            2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
            2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Not us.
              GO NU HOCKEY
              Always bullish on the future.
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                If BU and BC ever meet in the consolation final, would it still be a big game?
                Consolation final just doesn't sound right...

Comment

get out the engraving and i'll help with the spelling now...

beeeeee
                  ceeeeee

y'all are welcome.
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                    Could this be THE year, when NU and Harvard finally meet in the championship game? BC is reeling, and NU just beat BU a couple weeks ago.

Odds of NU and Harvard never meeting for the championship, in the 40 years when they could have (the other 20 they play in the first round): I have no idea. Any stats freaks want to give it a shot?
                    If I understand you correctly, in each of 40 years there was a 1 out of 4 (25%) chance they would meet in the finals, and thus a 3 out of 4 chance they wouldn't. (3/4)^40 is approximately 1.0 * 10^-5. So the chance that they would have met at least once is 1 - 1.0 * 10-5 or 99.999%. Of course this is assuming that Harvard and NU had a 50% chance of winning every one of their games which wasn't the case.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      If I understand you correctly, in each of 40 years there was a 1 out of 4 (25%) chance they would meet in the finals, and thus a 3 out of 4 chance they wouldn't. (3/4)^40 is approximately 1.0 * 10^-5. So the chance that they would have met at least once is 1 - 1.0 * 10-5 or 99.999%. Of course this is assuming that Harvard and NU had a 50% chance of winning every one of their games which wasn't the case.
                      not quite.
                      the tournament rotates the first round so one of every three years they would play each other in the first round, and therefore not be able to meet in the finals (the other two years it would be bc-nu/bu-hu & bu-nu/bc-hu that first monday to make it possible).
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        not quite.
                        the tournament rotates the first round so one of every three years they would play each other in the first round, and therefore not be able to meet in the finals (the other two years it would be bc-nu/bu-hu & bu-nu/bc-hu that first monday to make it possible).
                        Defkit wrote that there have been 60 Beanpots, and in 40 HU and NU didn't meet in the first round, so I used 40.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          not quite.
                          50/50 is also a naive approach... nevertheless, even if the individual chances aren't very high they've had 40 years to make it happen and they haven't.

----

Ralph, didn't you go on a score collection project at one point?
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                            50/50 is also a naive approach... nevertheless, even if the individual chances aren't very high they've had 40 years to make it happen and they haven't.

----

Ralph, didn't you go on a score collection project at one point?
                            50/50 is indeed naive. It wouldn't be hard at all to recalculate it with other figures.

Score collection project? I don't know what you are referring to unless it is the research for the Belts, but I did relatively little of that.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Ah, it wouldn't be a true Beanpot thread if the math nerds didn't show up!
                              Originally posted by mookie1995
                              bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                              Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                              Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Working...
                              X