• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sacred Heart 2012-2013: Simply the Worst

..got that monkey off!
    Way to go Pioneers!
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Three seasons ago Sacred Heart was a win away from the NCAA tournament. The Pioneers lost to RIT the the AHA finals the year the Tigers went to the Frozen Four. SHU knocked out Air Force in the semifinals, the only time Air Force did not make and win the AHA tournament championship game since joining the league seven years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Lerch View Post
        Three seasons ago Sacred Heart was a win away from the NCAA tournament. The Pioneers lost to RIT the the AHA finals the year the Tigers went to the Frozen Four. SHU knocked out Air Force in the semifinals, the only time Air Force did not make and win the AHA tournament championship game since joining the league seven years ago.
        It could have been the Pioneers vs the Pioneers for the first game in the Albany regionals.

Comment

I went out there with a few of my other RIT buddies to a RIT v SHU game. I'm pretty sure the 5 of us were louder than the rest of the crowd. Though to be fair, RIT was winning...

Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post
          Sacred Heart has not gotten bad crowds for the Milford rink. One or two sections of students who do cheer at times, and often a band. And they do get a fair number of older fans and families. Now the Bridgeport crowds are an absolute joke. The place feels so empty and you could count the fans easily. Hopefully the players enjoy the experience and the AHL team are doing them a favor. college hockey has me spoiled for cost of games. Bridgeport was charging $10 for parking if you were just going to the AHL game. Luckily, get there for the Sacred Heart game, and it is free.
          RIT Tigers

Comment

Shhh. I can see it now. SHU goes undefeated in the next 4 weeks, winning the AHA auto bid.

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
            ..got that monkey off!
            Way to go Pioneers!
            RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
              Holy Cross should be ashamed, I am even more ashamed because Holy Cross beat Yale! Actually , I am happy that the program got it's first win, they are a hard working bunch.
              They should feel even more ashamed because they gave up 7 goals to them. Congratulations Pioneers! I'd assume this will be your only win. Luckily you don't have to join a group of winless teams.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Congrats to the Pioneers!! I think the whole league is happy for you guys this morning (with one possible exception).

Comment

Congrats to Sacred Heart! Bu tboy this program has fallen a long way. As Chris pointed out they were 1 game away from the NCAAs 3 years ago. They were the first AHA/MAAC team to win a game against a Big 4 team. They were regularly competitive. then it just collapsed.

Comment

Bobby V it is for SHU..

http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article...AD-4298969.php
                    GO NU HOCKEY
                    Always bullish on the future.
                    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

You have to look to Division III for the most futility. But usually there's a happy ending. Wentworth lost what I believe to be a record 56 games in a row between 1993-1996. They hired Bill Bowes who went 0-19 his first year in 95-96 but had the Leopards in the NCAA tournament as conference champs in 2000. They've made the NCAAs four more times including the Frozen Four last season.

Probably the best story is Neumann, which went a combined 14-105-3 its first eight years in D-III. Six of those wins were against Scranton, which was technically D-III but played a club schedule. Taking out Scranton, Neumann won one varsity game its first six seasons. One year the Knights gave up 215 goals in 25 games or 8.6 a game. In 2004 they had their best season to that point at 4-17-2 under new coach Dennis Williams. In 2009 they won the Division III National Championship. Williams went on to be the head coach at Bowling Green.

So the moral of the story is that things can change quickly with the right people and the right support. CJ Marottolo is a good coach and I think he can turn this around if he can get a goaltender who can step up. Alex Vazzano, a transfer from Vermont, might be that guy. He is eligible next season. And rumors, good rumors, persist about a new facility. SHU will not go on the record yet, but it is looking at some options beyond Bridgeport.
                      Last edited by Chris Lerch; 02-22-2013, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                        Shhh. I can see it now. SHU goes undefeated in the next 4 weeks, winning the AHA auto bid.
                        Hoping that the Bentley Falcons can stop the Pioneers winning streak this evening.

Comment

2-0-1 in their last three games.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                          X