Penn State vs Vermont - Philadelphia College Hockey Faceoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn State vs Vermont - Philadelphia College Hockey Faceoff

The first ever college game at the Wells Fargo Center gets the Flyers and Penguins as the lead-in game. How cool is that?

The game between the Nittany Lions and Catamounts has been pushed back to 8pm because of the 3pm start for the NHL boys. The fans shouldn't mind - just gives them more time to tailgate.

If the Flyers and Pens go to OT or a shootout, we could drop the puck around 9! It's going to take some time to get 17 thousand out of the building and then get more than 16 thousand into the arena for the night game.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Re: Penn State vs Vermont - Philadelphia College Hockey Faceoff

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    The first ever college game at the Wells Fargo Center gets the Flyers and Penguins as the lead-in game. How cool is that?

The game between the Nittany Lions and Catamounts has been pushed back to 8pm because of the 3pm start for the NHL boys. The fans shouldn't mind - just gives them more time to tailgate.

If the Flyers and Pens go to OT or a shootout, we could drop the puck around 9! It's going to take some time to get 17 thousand out of the building and then get more than 16 thousand into the arena for the night game.
    A loss to this team in this venue would be a low for the program and embarassing. Acording to what I see they have lost to a handful of club teams this year.

Comment

Why not just let people stay and have the tickets be for a true doubleheader? Yeesh.

Comment

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
        A loss to this team in this venue would be a low for the program and embarassing. Acording to what I see they have lost to a handful of club teams this year.
        We saw PSU in Storrs a couple weeks ago. UVM should beat them but it won't be a walkover. Think they beat Ohio State over the holidays, didn't they?

Comment

They still have club level players...

RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Why not just let people stay and have the tickets be for a true doubleheader? Yeesh.
            When Steve said it was the lead-in game, I assumed it was a double header. If it had, the fans would have been well on their way for the second game!
            Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
            They still have club level players...
            Short memory?
            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Just to set you straight, the only loss to a club team was Arizona State, but there have also been losses to D-III Buffalo State and Neumann. On the other hand, wins over RIT, Air Force and Ohio State, with a 2-0 empty-net goal loss at Union.

Comment

The way UVM is playing currently there is no such thing as a walk over. UVM better be prepared to come out and get things going. The thing that scares me is scoring and goaltending. UVM can't seem to score, and there are games where the goaltending is soft. It is a good possibility PSU comes out and scores 3 goals and....

That said, losing would be embarassing.

I'm not a fan of teams running up scores, but UVM needs to pot as many goals as possible and see about getting these guys experience on how to actually get the puck into the net.
                Originally posted by Hokydad
                Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

I can understand Penn State being in this game, but why Vermont?

Comment

Just to set you straight, the only loss to a club team was Arizona State, but there have also been losses to D-III Buffalo State and Neumann. On the other hand, wins over RIT, Air Force and Ohio State, with a 2-0 empty-net goal loss at Union.
                    I must say, a fairly odd set of results, no?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Cause Vermont was the team they could agree to get to travel to Philadelphia?
                      UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

That's why I asked...I don't know the answer.

Going by Steve's initial post, they are expecting 16,000 for the PSU-Vermont game? I find that hard to believe. Did they try scheduling other teams before Vermont?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          Nick Luukko's father Peter Luukko is President and CEO of Comcast Spectacor.

EDIT: The game will be a sellout tonight - close to 19000 19,600 to be on hand.
                          Last edited by SteveP; 01-19-2013, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Nick Luukko's father Peter Luukko is President and CEO of Comcast Spectacor.
                            Is this also the reason this became a home game for Vermont? Really made me want to vomit when PA announcer Lou Nolan introduced them as "Your Vermont Catamounts".

Which made this win all the more sweet. Of course, I'm not a fan of Peter Luukko anyway. He was part of the braintrust that knocked down the Spectrum and exiled the Philadelphia Phantoms (for which I was a 9-year season ticket holder) to Glens Falls, NY...

But what a game....and man, Skoff's going to be an absolute beast in net by the time he's done there.

Also, just curious but I was a bit far from the ice....what conference were those refs from tonight? Not exactly the best crew I've ever seen.
                            Last edited by Stripes55; 01-20-2013, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stripes55 View Post
                              Really made me want to vomit when PA announcer Lou Nolan introduced them as "Your Vermont Catamounts".
                              You got a game in a large facility packed to the brim.... why are you complaining exactly?
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                              X