X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Truth About The Cats and Dogs - BU/UNH 11/20 and 11/21

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
    By far.
    Yep... how can you doubt it? They won the HE reg season, the holida tourney they were in, the HE tourney, and the NCAAs. How good is that???? Mercy. Teams like that don't come along often. Fully earned.
    Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
    ECAC Tourney Champs 79
    Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
    Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
    Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
    NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
      Furthermore, Damon Kipp is playing well. I may be starting to turn my opinion on the kid. He's played yet another vastly improved game, made some heads up plays and...scored a goal?!?
      He still gets beat pretty easily (Shattenkirk just skated right by him a couple of shifts after his goal), but he seems to limit players to the outside when this happens in the zone, and hasn't been taking the stupid "crap, I'm getting beat, so I have to hook/trip/interfere to prevent the breakaway" penalties he did earlier in his career.

His goal was nice to see (when isn't a goal for your team nice to see?), but it wasn't spectacular. Just a solid, "I'm in position" shot from the point. Granted, it was a nice, hard shot.
      Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
      -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by Malts18 View Post
        Yep... how can you doubt it? They won the HE reg season, the holida tourney they were in, the HE tourney, and the NCAAs. How good is that???? Mercy. Teams like that don't come along often. Fully earned.
        Yes, BU's championship was fully earned, but I will remind you that the best team does not always win or, if they do, it is by the skin of their teeth. Witness BU which edged past Northeastern for the regular season championship on the last weekend, barely squeaked by Lowell in the HE final (the old the referee was intending to blow his whistle rule. Where did that come from?!?), got by UNH with a truly bizarre play, then took out Miami with the most improbably comeback in FF history. BU was the best team last year, their record proves it, but, let's face it, they were dammed lucky to win.

As for last night, I have to somewhat disagree with Malts implication that the team is erratic. I prefer to look at them as a work in progress. When I spoke to Umile on Monday, his comment was that, against UMass, they were better and more consistent than they had been the week before against BC and Lowell. And while there is another game tonight, you would have to say the the Wildcats played a more complete game vs. BU than either of the games last week.

UNH is going to go as far as the improvement of their defense (and goal) will take them. I have to agree that Kipp is starting to get it. He, and really the rest of the defense did a good job last night in not taking themselves out of the play in their own end. There was that one-half of a BU PP in the second where UNH had some difficulty, but other than that I thought they did a good job of not running around in their own end.

Up front to me the team is first and foremost about Bobby Butler. It's still early but he seems to be taking his role as a captain pretty seriously, taking responsibility at both ends of the ice. His play so far reminds me a lot of Preston Callendar's a few years ago. Callendar was an okay player his first three years, but he really came on as senior. Not sure Butler will top 50 points (hard to do these days) but he seems to be another in a long line of players when it comes to their fourth year who say "Oh my god, I'm a senior. This is my last go 'round, I've got to make the commitment to excellence." The light doesn't go on for every senior (witness Pollastrone last year) but fortunately it has for Butler (and to a lesser extent LeBlanc).

Right now there is no great team in the league. I think as the season wears on, some will show more talent than others. Right now I think UNH can be one of them, but only if this steady improvement continues.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
          The light doesn't go on for every senior (witness Pollastrone last year) but fortunately it has for Butler (and to a lesser extent LeBlanc).
          Do you mean Pollastrone? Or Charlebois? Pollastrone may not have put up great numbers, but he at least put forth the effort to show up to class.
          A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

First UNH goal should never have happened, face off should have been out of the zone. UNH player went into the net and dislodged it by himself.

First BU goal should never have happened, ref called for hand pass, there was no hand pass. Faceoff, bam goal.

The penalty to give UNH a 5 on 3 was incredibly soft: it was a good check. Later BU and UNH would have power plays and much more egregious penalties would be ignored.

UNH's power play, much maligned looked great against a BU PK that was timid and kept letting UNH get the puck down low uncontested to Millan's left.
            Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
              First UNH goal should never have happened, face off should have been out of the zone. UNH player went into the net and dislodged it by himself.
              You're right, in the sense that only the UNH player touched the net. Of course, the BU player checking him into it may have had something to do with it, and something to do with the face off being in the zone.
              Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
              -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                Yes, BU's championship was fully earned, but I will remind you that the best team does not always win or, if they do, it is by the skin of their teeth. Witness BU which edged past Northeastern for the regular season championship on the last weekend, barely squeaked by Lowell in the HE final (the old the referee was intending to blow his whistle rule. Where did that come from?!?), got by UNH with a truly bizarre play, then took out Miami with the most improbably comeback in FF history. BU was the best team last year, their record proves it, but, let's face it, they were dammed lucky to win.

As for last night, I have to somewhat disagree with Malts implication that the team is erratic. I prefer to look at them as a work in progress. When I spoke to Umile on Monday, his comment was that, against UMass, they were better and more consistent than they had been the week before against BC and Lowell. And while there is another game tonight, you would have to say the the Wildcats played a more complete game vs. BU than either of the games last week.

UNH is going to go as far as the improvement of their defense (and goal) will take them. I have to agree that Kipp is starting to get it. He, and really the rest of the defense did a good job last night in not taking themselves out of the play in their own end. There was that one-half of a BU PP in the second where UNH had some difficulty, but other than that I thought they did a good job of not running around in their own end.

Up front to me the team is first and foremost about Bobby Butler. It's still early but he seems to be taking his role as a captain pretty seriously, taking responsibility at both ends of the ice. His play so far reminds me a lot of Preston Callendar's a few years ago. Callendar was an okay player his first three years, but he really came on as senior. Not sure Butler will top 50 points (hard to do these days) but he seems to be another in a long line of players when it comes to their fourth year who say "Oh my god, I'm a senior. This is my last go 'round, I've got to make the commitment to excellence." The light doesn't go on for every senior (witness Pollastrone last year) but fortunately it has for Butler (and to a lesser extent LeBlanc).

Right now there is no great team in the league. I think as the season wears on, some will show more talent than others. Right now I think UNH can be one of them, but only if this steady improvement continues.
                Greg, erratic in that some games they have been good.. and sound... and others not so much. For instance, how did that weekend go in Wisco??? We were horrid. Foster was left out to dry more times than I can count. Only his largely stellar play kept those games from being more lopsided.

The Cats go 0-4-1 before winning the last 2. I don't know... you are closer to this team than I, Lord knows, but there are times I don't have a clue what to make of them, and then there are times (like last night and the games in UMass) that you think they can play pretty well vs anyone. Who knows? Would it really surprise you too much if they get run tonight by BU by a score of 4-1? I don't think I would be shocked in the slightest. And you know what? I could see us winning 4-1 just as easily. That, to me, lends an unpredictable air and one that is borne of being erratic at times.
                Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

UNH Wildcats
                ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
                  Do you mean Pollastrone? Or Charlebois? Pollastrone may not have put up great numbers, but he at least put forth the effort to show up to class.
                  I meant Jerry. His numbers went down big time last year, especially in the first half. I will admit he came on the last few weeks in the season, but before that he was a non-factor I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                    Later BU and UNH would have power plays and much more egregious penalties would be ignored.
                    Welcome to college hockey. If the refs were better, they would be in the AHL or NHL. Thus, this is what we get. It goes both ways most of the time.

UNH Wildcats
                    ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                    NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Foster needs to stop shots like that BU second goal to give this team any chance.
                      Are you guys brothers?

Comment

Working...
                      X