Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Student section and profanity in your school's arena

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
    As others have said, Michigan doesn't do much to stop the profanity. A few years ago they really cracked down on "c-sucker" at the end of the C-ya cheer, and were kicking people out until it stopped. It's already back. I've heard that there have been a few isolated incidents this year where people were thrown out (something about a guy dressed as a chicken with a bullhorn?), but no mass administrative movement like last time. There have been a few other times where the student section was asked by the athletic department/Red to tone things down, but no real enforcement and no real effect. I think that ultimately nothing is going to stop the swearing, since so many students get up-in-arms about it being a free speech issue (even though it really isn't).
    I was at Yost last year when tOSU was in town and the final 2 minutes of the Saturday game (MI whipped tOSUs azz) the student section chanted '*u*k OHIO' (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap). It was loud and clear and the house was full, as it generally is at Yost. Lots of families and kids. Although I understand the fundamental hatred/rivalry between the schools and all, that did not reflect very positively on the students or the UofM IMHO. Not sure it can ever be reigned in though...
    Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
      When I was at North Dakota we've really tried to cut down on using words such as Gophers, Badgers, and Bison...there are kids in attendance after all...
      But you insisted on the using the worst word of all, just ask the NCAA.

Comment

Swearing? Ha. BC barred the band from doing the 'sieve' chant.

If you casually say the F word to the person next to you in a conversational tone, like, 'what the ****** just happened?,' you can expect 15,331 bored security guards to swarm over you within 9.2 seconds.

BTW, I think swearing in chants sounds really stupid, not just because it reflects poorly on the fans but also because it's really uncreative and dull. But at BC, we don't have that problem because everyone just sits on their hands anyway. No need to tell us to tone it down!
        BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
        -
        Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
          But you insisted on the using the worst word of all, just ask the NCAA.
          Sober?

You're not likely to hear that word uttered much at The Ralph either...
          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
          Originally posted by Quizmire
          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Ok, so Michigan students will occasionally break out the "***k Ohio" chant. I don't participate, and I'm not sure what can be done to stop it. Last year was an incident where FYS (**** you state) was very loud...but almost warranted. And of course there's the penalty cheer (which the band has been instructed to try and play over). And if you sit in the student section at Yost wearing colors of the other team you will have many people chant "*hole" at you.

As mentioned by others, they occasionally kick people out. There was one time that Red came out and addressed the student section and it got toned down a bit that season.

As awful as the profanity is, I still love Yost and the fact that it is always loud and sometimes crazy.

I can tell you that wearing profanity on your clothing will get you kicked out of Michigan sporting events (or you'll be asked to remove the offensive clothing). I was shocked at Munn over the weekend when a few Spartan fans actually had the f word spelled out on their clothing.

Edit: Oh, and back when I was in the band (and I believe still) the band students aren't even allowed to say "suck" so instead of "Phone! hey [opposing goalie], it's your mom, she says 'you suck!'" we'd have to say other things like "she says, 'she's not sure who your father is'")
            Supposedly Ryan Miller's mom once stood up and said "I did not say that". At least that's the story I've heard.
            Last edited by wolverineTrumpet; 11-17-2009, 08:15 AM.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G
            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
            2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by startthebus View Post
              They don't monitor it at all at SCSU..
              They use to monitor it at SCSU and they chased all the students away. Since then they keep shrinking the student section because fewer students want to go. Now all they have is a bunch of students who sit on there hands and never say anything.
              I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

In the east here is an observation from a Maine fan who has been on the road for years! Most of the student sections these days lack any creativity what so ever. The only cheer they seem to know is the "You $uck" cheer! And it has gotten to the point that at many of the schools the pep band becomes a part of the cheer.

For anyone who has traveled to the Alfond Arena in Orono that is not the case, Maine has prided itself on developing cheers that our original while at the same time not being offensive. Your more likely to hear the coach $ucks than a cheer against a team.

Northeastern- Finally has a student section which is great but they have only ONE cheer and it is "You $uck"

UNH- Does have a $uck cheer, but by and large I find the student section to be original and have not heard any other profanities.

BU- Good student section and of course they have the obligatory BC $ucks cheer. Otherwise good student section.

PC- What's a student section?

Merrimack- The 'mack student section is small and what cheers they have are typically filled with profanity, but in that arena you can barely figure out what they are trying to say.

BC- Over the years I have heard some of the absolute worst cheers at BC. Including words I never thought I would hear in a cheer. That has changed the last few years at BC, but I still rate them atop the heap of profanity laced cheers.

VT & UMASS- All I have heard is negative things about both of these places. It has been years since I have been to the Gut so can't comment, but UMASS has the worst reputation in the league.

I would love to see originality in cheers, make things different game to game based upon the moment and for cripes sake get rid of the $uck cheers that pervade all of the arenas these days.

I do want to also give accolades to Miami. I had the pleasure of sitting next to their student section at the Frozen Four last year. They were examplary in their conduct. Don't know what their reputation is in the CCHA, but I was impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                  They use to monitor it at SCSU and they chased all the students away. Since then they keep shrinking the student section because fewer students want to go. Now all they have is a bunch of students who sit on there hands and never say anything.
                  Considering all that, I'm still trying to figure out who continues to approve the use of the Jet song "Cold Hard *****," which they don't edit (though USCHO apparently does), as one of the songs played when the team comes on the ice.

Comment

Miami's student section is relatively clean (and respectful of opposing fans), though certainly not due to a lack of energy. As far as I know, the administration hasn't really taken issue with anything coming out of the student section. We have the typical "see you in 2 minutes, a**hole" and the usual spelling chants (s-e-x, o-r-g-y, etc.) but otherwise the students seem to be largely self-regulating and err on the creative side rather than the vulgar. Every few games some bonehead will try to start something that crosses the line (see: a-b-o-r-t-i-o-n = get it out), but the students just refuse to pick it up if it goes too far.

However, the band was told last year to stop saying "a**hole," so our director suggested replacing it with "brass pole" or "casserole". That lasted a game or two before we simply reverted back and, from what I've heard, they haven't said anything about it again this year.
                    Last edited by RedhawkBandMan; 11-17-2009, 08:43 AM.
                    Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      At Boston College, despite the fact that they scan tickets and actually count the number of people that go to the games (rather than tickets sold) and that BC annually is top 2 in attendance in the league, no one goes to BC games. At least that's what I heard on the interwebs (therefore, it must be true!).

So basically, unless those empty seats are swearing, the "fan" behavior is quite good!
                      still one of the funniest things I've seen (especially surprising from BC kids).. they had some signs up that were negative (though tame compared to most) and had to take them down, so they took (I think?) posters and wrote on the back of them:
                      *****http://www.joshgibney.com/bcsigns02.jpg***********http://www.joshgibney.com/bcsigns03.jpg******

pretty flippin funny

Comment

Gibber, that was so epic.

Before the game, they took away our signs that said "University of No Hardware" and a picture of an empty UNH trophy case. When they came over to take them I was incredulous because those signs were so trite and lame that there's no way anyone could really take offense. I said to the guy, "I can understand taking these on account of them being so cliche, but taking them because they're 'offensive?' really?"

So we all started making the positive signs. It was awesome. According to a friend of mine who's a security guard, one of the higher ups wanted us all kicked out for 'mocking' him, but the security guard rightly said that we weren't breaking any rules. In fact, we were following the rules that the security supervisor gave us - all signs must be positive.

*****http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2458/204/44/1618376/n1618376_36449401_7590.jpg******
                        *****http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs021.snc1/2458_581941936547_1618376_36449405_8872_n.jpg******

One of my favorite memories from that game is when UNH came out for their second round of warmups, all of us in the front were holding up the positive signs, including ones that said "Good luck!" and "We respect our opponent!," while we chanted "We re-spect you! [clap clap clap clap clap]" The UNH players kept looking up at us and laughing.
                        BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                        -
                        Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

That's one of the best things I've ever seen fans do at a hockey game.

Comment

My favorite sign from college hockey is from a BC fan during the Curry years: "Curry: good on rice, not on ice"

Comment

At Matthews Arena (NU)..when you have the casual fans show up (mostly freshmen who won't go to more than 1 or 2 hockey gms a yr), that's when we have some level of profanity. They don't know the gm.. they don't care.. they just shout 'shoot' 'shoot' .. oh ****.. if the players are actually trying to set something up. They'll boo the away goalie & our own goalie as well.. because he gave up A goal..

Anyway, other than that the regular die-hards actually have pretty witty chants & mostly do a back & forth with the two great sections of dog house fans we've come to expect in recent years. The freshmen usually show up when we play schools from the city.. (including Newton nearby)
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

The one thing that's always irritated me about the "sieve" chants at Wisconsin is that the Kohl Center staff actually flash "seive" on the electronic ad banner that rings the arena to instigate the fans. Its one thing for the student section to do it but its entirely another when its done by the home team's staff. Obviously it must be endorsed by Eaves and the leadership of the school. To me it just shows a complete lack of sportsmanship and class. I'm surprised the WCHA allows it.

Comment

Working...
                                X