Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
    Epic collapse happened last year at the final five. This is far from epic but it still sucked.
    That was a road to recovery game. After sitting out for three years of the ncaa's the gophers had their eyes further down the road and avenged in multiples when the gophers outplayed and absolutely buried und in the ncaas, but that's because I see the ncaa tourney as more significant, you could be happy winning the wcha trophy and feel like the season's over. It's like und plays with flat tires when the only part of their game they need is the skill part. Hak hasn't gotten this fixed his entire time as coach there.
    Last edited by ex_goldy; 01-21-2013, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      you know what's worse than a tie? A shootout.
      Do you like ties? If not, then how to eliminate them? I know some people who are not hockey fans, and they don't understand why an athletic competition should end in a tie. In bouncy ball, they play til someone wins, football rarely has a tie. I remember the days of the OT til someone wins; that's what still should be done. Today's fans attention spans are not long enough to endure that, so to keep fans in the seats, they invented the shootout. For Pete's sake, people were leaving Mariucci before regulation time was over!
      "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." Bilbo Baggins

Comment

Originally posted by Hock Puckly View Post
        Do you like ties? If not, then how to eliminate them? I know some people who are not hockey fans, and they don't understand why an athletic competition should end in a tie. In bouncy ball, they play til someone wins, football rarely has a tie. I remember the days of the OT til someone wins; that's what still should be done. Today's fans attention spans are not long enough to endure that, so to keep fans in the seats, they invented the shootout. For Pete's sake, people were leaving Mariucci before regulation time was over!
        I have absolutely no aversion to ties. It's perfectly acceptable that two teams played to a draw.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Hock Puckly View Post
          Ties are fine in many situations, including Saturday night.

A shootout is not Hockey.
          Originally posted by CavalryNate
          Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
          sigpic

Comment

I just want to say this is not a shot at FS23 in any way before I go any further.....

I seriously think the Gophers played one of their worst games on the season on Saturday. Poor defense, odd man rushes constantly for UND, Wilcox not his usual self, etc. To come out of that game with a tie was lucky and extremely gritty. I'm not sure if it shows how good/bad either team may or may not be, but I think it bodes well for the Gophers going forward.

Few thoughts on the weekend:

-Warning was AWESOME in both games.
            -Holl continues to impress me. He hustles and his plays don't always result in anything substantial, but it is clear that he is working his tail off every shift and earning his spot in the lineup.
            -Marshall looked slow on Saturday. Not sure what that was about.
            -Skjei has a tough Saturday after what I thought was a decent Friday.
            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I wouldn't say the worst game of the season but they played worse on Saturday than Friday. It was clear from the start that they were off their game. The puck kept hopping the sticks rather and fanned passes. Not sure if they were gripping too tight or what. I appreciated the effort to the end to get the tie. It would have been easy just let it go.
              Bottom Line: If you deserve to win the national championship then don't worry about who you play, when, and where. Just keep winning.
              Exception: You are right about the refs. They, no doubt, have it in for <insert your team name here>!

Comment

Originally posted by gopheritall View Post
                I wouldn't say the worst game of the season but they played worse on Saturday than Friday. It was clear from the start that they were off their game. The puck kept hopping the sticks rather and fanned passes. Not sure if they were gripping too tight or what. I appreciated the effort to the end to get the tie. It would have been easy just let it go.
                Wilcox didn't play his best. There were some lapses where they weren't connecting on passes and playing at their top level, but they played a pretty darn good opponent, out shot them and had a slight edge in possession. UND played better on Saturday than Friday. And overall, both teams played with more tempo late in the game Saturday than Friday. They've had much worse games this year, where they seemed to take whole periods off against less skilled opponents. Gopher Wes, you can't really believe this is the worst they've played.

Comment

I said it was "one of the" worst. One game where they play no doubt worse would be Friday at Tech and another would be Friday at home against UNO. I didn't say it was "the worst". I was praising the Gophers for playing, what I would consider to be, not as well at they are capable and still being able to salvage a tie against a good opponent. It says a lot about what they are made of IMO.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I don't know. In terms of who controlled play I thought Saturday was incredibly similar to Friday. The real difference between the two nights is that UND converted a higher percentage of their opportunities.

Playing with the lead is easier than playing from behind. UND was able to get ahead and that made the game a little easier for them, a little more difficult for Minnesota.

All things considered I was content with the tie. Wilcox was fighting the puck a little bit, and UND was a bit more dangerous in how they were attacking the net.

The one thing that UND did very well is shut down the MN PP. 1-8 on the weekend. We could argue whether that was UND doing something special or MN just being off their game. My opinion is that it is generally a bit of both.
                    MN had 3 PP's on Saturday, and only one of them did they have any sort of flow or quality possession in the offensive zone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                      I don't know. In terms of who controlled play I thought Saturday was incredibly similar to Friday. The real difference between the two nights is that UND converted a higher percentage of their opportunities.

Playing with the lead is easier than playing from behind. UND was able to get ahead and that made the game a little easier for them, a little more difficult for Minnesota.

All things considered I was content with the tie. Wilcox was fighting the puck a little bit, and UND was a bit more dangerous in how they were attacking the net.

The one thing that UND did very well is shut down the MN PP. 1-8 on the
                      weekend. We could argue whether that was UND doing something special or MN just being off their game. My opinion is that it is generally a bit of both.
                      MN had 3 PP's on Saturday, and only one of them did they have any sort of flow or quality possession in the offensive zone.
                      I thought Haula being less than 100% had a lot to do with the pp failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post

The one thing that UND did very well is shut down the MN PP. 1-8 on the weekend. We could argue whether that was UND doing something special or MN just being off their game. My opinion is that it is generally a bit of both.
                        Meh. Agree to disagree I guess. Without checking(too lazy), I'm pretty sure the Gophers outshot UND on Saturday, but overall I think UND dictated the pace.

I definitely agree with you on the points you made regarding the PP and UND converting on their chances, though.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                          I thought Haula being less than 100% had a lot to do with the pp failure.
                          Lucia didn't specifically say this on the show last night, but he definitely thought that Haula wasn't at 100%, and that he thinks the off week after this weekend's 'Kato series will be really important for Haula, probably get him back at center, by the sound of it.

Comment

Please kill this thread. It's over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sisyphus View Post
                              It's like Sisyphus, just keeps pushing that stone up the hill!

Comment

Originally posted by Sisyphus View Post
                                What? Are you the Moderator now? Don't like the thread, don't read it.
                                Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                                Eric's Twitter
                                The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Working...
                                X