X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    Who cares? Regardless if you think it made him look "unprofessional", he has a right to defend his reputation and respond to someone who is making accusations that he is participating in a cover-up. Also, he posted once. That isn't arguing.
    Why the need to "defend your reputation" on an opponent's message board? What exactly do you think that accomplished? Why does his reputation on that board matter?

And I'm not just referring to this one incident. He argued for days on Twitter about the rivalry ending and made some pretty outlandish claims. I'd expect this from bloggers or message board posters, but not from a beat writer.

As a journalist you can't take take everything every rube says about you or the team you cover too personally. Like I said, Brad is a bit too much of a fan of whom he covers. At least he let's it show a bit too much.

Just my perspective.

Leave a comment:

• Tipsy McStagger
    replied
    Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    I don't think Schlossman looked too professional as a journalist arguing with rubes on a message board either. Can't see Mick Hatten, Shane Frederick, Andy Baggott, etc.. doing that. Brad is too emotionally attached to the team he covers IMO.
    Who cares? Regardless if you think it made him look "unprofessional", he has a right to defend his reputation and respond to someone who is making accusations that he is participating in a cover-up. Also, he posted once. That isn't arguing.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    Hammy got boxed.
    I don't think Schlossman looked too professional as a journalist arguing with rubes on a message board either. Can't see Mick Hatten, Shane Frederick, Andy Baggott, etc.. doing that. Brad is too emotionally attached to the team he covers IMO.
    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 01-29-2013, 04:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tipsy McStagger
    replied

Hammy got boxed.

Leave a comment:

• cross cheque
    replied

Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
    Unless some brain-dead Siouxage fan posts pictures of posters...
    He wanted to get on tv and be a star and now he is hooray!

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    Originally posted by Dirty View Post
    I don't care one way or the other really either, I just shared the link because I thought it was funny seeing Hammy backtrack. The only thing I really questioned was how is Schlossman supposed to defend himself when no one, besides Hammy, knows what he is supposedly covering up. Other than not responding that is, but that would've been no fun and we'd be 15 less posts away from locking this thread!
    I don't think he was back tracking at all. I think he made a comment with some things in mind, then preferred not to elaborate publicly (probably to keep it from becoming a bigger deal than it is worth). And I don't think Schlossman should feel like he has to defend himself on a message board frequented by rubes. That's a battle he'll never win. But I don't care enough to argue about it either.

Like I said, it's between them IMO

Leave a comment:

• Go4PuckFan2.0
    replied
    Other than not responding that is, but that would've been no fun and we'd be 15 less posts away from locking this thread!
    Unless some brain-dead Siouxage fan posts pictures of posters...

Leave a comment:

• Dirty
    replied

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Again, I don't think he was referring to the things players do. Not sure how many times that needs to be said. And Hammy really isn't a reporter, so I don't see the correlation. Not sure about what he was referring to, but don't care enough to make a huge deal about it. It's between him and Schlossman.

And I don't think you'll find many Gopher fans who will defend Roman's reporting. Then again, we aren't über-sensitive about criticism of reporters who cover our team either.
    I don't care one way or the other really either, I just shared the link because I thought it was funny seeing Hammy backtrack. The only thing I really questioned was how is Schlossman supposed to defend himself when no one, besides Hammy, knows what he is supposedly covering up. Other than not responding that is, but that would've been no fun and we'd be 15 less posts away from locking this thread!

Leave a comment:

• Go4PuckFan2.0
    replied
    Exactly. By the same token what transgressions is Schlossman covering up?
    I don't believe he's covering anything up.

I believe he's a fine sportswriter who did something incredibly stupid by engaging GPL. If, in fact, that was indeed him.
    Last edited by Go4PuckFan2.0; 01-29-2013, 04:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    So if the Herald doesn't report something UND players do, they are covering it up. While if the Star Tribune doesn't report something Minnesota players do, it's because they are too busy? Both papers have a reporter who covers the team, so I fail to see why the standards for reporting should be any different. Roman's other beat is the Lynx, who are not currently in season.

So Hammy makes vague accusations about incidents not being reported, Schlossman say look at all this stuff I reported on!, and Hammy says "that's not what I was talking about.", never once indicating what he is talking about.

In that case, I have the same problem with Gopher hockey and Roman's reporting. There are all sorts of transgressions he doesn't report. Why is he covering for the University?
    Again, I don't think he was referring to the things players do. Not sure how many times that needs to be said. And Hammy really isn't a reporter, so I don't see the correlation. Not sure about what he was referring to, but don't care enough to make a huge deal about it. It's between him and Schlossman.

And I don't think you'll find many Gopher fans who will defend Roman's reporting. Then again, we aren't über-sensitive about criticism of reporters who cover our team either.

Bottom line, as a reporter if you take everything you read on message boards (especially those of teams other than for the team you cover) personally, your career is going to feel like an eternity.

I admire the Strib for hiring reporters from outside the market. It is my opinion that you shouldn't be a huge fan of the team you cover. You tend to take criticism of the team and your reporting too personally. It's just a job.
    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 01-29-2013, 04:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

So if the Herald doesn't report something UND players do, they are covering it up. While if the Star Tribune doesn't report something Minnesota players do, it's because they are too busy? Both papers have a reporter who covers the team, so I fail to see why the standards for reporting should be any different. Roman's other beat is the Lynx, who are not currently in season.

So Hammy makes vague accusations about incidents not being reported, Schlossman say look at all this stuff I reported on!, and Hammy says "that's not what I was talking about.", never once indicating what he is talking about.

In that case, I have the same problem with Gopher hockey and Roman's reporting. There are all sorts of transgressions he doesn't report. Why is he covering for the University?
    Have to agree with Dirty here.

Leave a comment:

• cross cheque
    replied

LOL!

Yeah. I stepped on your punch line.

Get it now?
    Magical.

Leave a comment:

• Dirty
    replied

What transgressions?

Or are you making things up?
    Exactly. By the same token what transgressions is Schlossman covering up?

Leave a comment:

• ItalianSioux
    replied

I'd also point out the difference in the transparency that the coaches allow. how many times has a meadow muffin gotten suspended and the press release only say that it was "due to a violation of team rules"? whether it is the athletics staff at UND or Schlossman doing his job we always seem to know what has happened to warrant a suspension of a UND player

Leave a comment:

• SanTropez
    replied

Simple,because there are no cover ups or transgressions with Gopher Hockey, but there are with Sue/Whioux Hockey.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X