X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4four4
    replied
    Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
    Wow, that is an absurdly loaded question. You don't happen to be a lawyer, do you?

Just to play along, I never implied anything of the sort. I only said that to claim the level of your competition doesn't affect how you perform is a naive opinion....
    Or a coping mechanism.
    Lol he is a lawyer.

Leave a comment:

• Stauber1
    replied
    Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    So nobody can play their worst game against a good team?
    Wow, that is an absurdly loaded question. You don't happen to be a lawyer, do you?

Just to play along, I never implied anything of the sort. I only said that to claim the level of your competition doesn't affect how you perform is a naive opinion....
    Or a coping mechanism.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

We'll have to agree to disagree. IMO, it was our worst performance of the season. We certainly didn't play "well." If anything, our best hockey was in the middle of the third period. I'm hard on my team because I know their capabilities...tonight was an abomination.
    The third was making me nervous, to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    You can, but it's wrong. I thought they played well for the first two. Not great, not horrible, not average. If it weren't for Twocox, I think the game would have ended differently (still a MN win, but that could be tArrogance talking). I think you are too hard on your team tonight. That does happen, most often when facing a rival.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. IMO, it was our worst performance of the season. We certainly didn't play "well." If anything, our best hockey was in the middle of the third period. I'm hard on my team because I know their capabilities...tonight was an abomination.

Leave a comment:

• Koho
    replied

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    Hoping for a win from both my alma maters for Hockey Day tomorrow!! Go Red Knights!! Go Sioux!!
    I'll take wins by Thunderhawks and Gopher's, and Wild too while we're at it, thank you!

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

You felt that North Dakota played well in the first two periods?

You're confusing the result (a close game in that time frame) with how North Dakota played. They were awful. It was our worst performance of the season. Can't I have my opinion?
    You can, but it's wrong. I thought they played well for the first two. Not great, not horrible, not average. If it weren't for Twocox, I think the game would have ended differently (still a MN win, but that could be tArrogance talking). I think you are too hard on your team tonight. That does happen, most often when facing a rival.

Leave a comment:

• MinnesotaNorthStar
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven
    And we're saying that for the first two periods at least, you held your own, on the road, against a #1 team. You sound like a MN pro sports fan right now, always whining about something.
    You don't need "pro" in there.

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

My sport wasn't hockey. But the general principle is universal to high level competition.

When everything has to be better in order to succeed, and everyone involved knows that, it has an effect.
    When plays that used to be routine all of a sudden yield a less positive result, you have to be better in how you execute them than you were previously. All the little things make much more of a difference, and that affects how you play the game. Your focus is diverged. There is a lot more that you have to be aware of. And you have to make an attempt to be faster, cleaner and more aware in even those routine plays, which can lead to a higher failure rate.
    As the level of your competition rises, so does the degree to which you have to deal with all of what I have just said.

If you don't realize that, nothing I say will make a difference.
    Brilliant. Thank you Stauber.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven
    And we're saying that for the first two periods at least, you held your own, on the road, against a #1 team. You sound like a MN pro sports fan right now, always whining about something.
    You felt that North Dakota played well in the first two periods?

You're confusing the result (a close game in that time frame) with how North Dakota played. They were awful. It was our worst performance of the season. Can't I have my opinion?

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

My sport wasn't hockey. But the general principle is universal to high level competition.

When everything has to be better in order to succeed, and everyone involved knows that, it has an effect.
    When plays that used to be routine all of a sudden yield a less positive result, you have to be better in how you execute them than you were previously. All the little things make much more of a difference, and that affects how you play the game. Your focus is diverged. There is a lot more that you have to be aware of. And you have to make an attempt to be faster, cleaner and more aware in even those routine plays, which can lead to a higher failure rate.
    As the level of your competition rises, so does the degree to which you have to deal with all of what I have just said.

So nobody can play their worst game against a good team?

Leave a comment:

• Stauber1
    replied

You're a clever one. Obviously, it makes me feel worse that they played their worst game of the year. If they had to lose, I would much rather they lose while playing well.

And no, I never played Division 1, college hockey. If you did, please enlighten me on how failing to complete a pass in your own zone when the other team is not in the zone shows that the pass failed because of something Minnesota did. Thanks.

Last edited by Stauber1; 01-18-2013, 11:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by GopherFan89 View Post
    FS23 is just trying to discredit the Gophers using his subtle (but not really) tactics of repeating the same thing over and over to try and convince himself that his squad is somehow much better than they appear. One could say that he claims his team was UND-eserving of a win!
    Considering that I have said basically the exact opposite already (i.e. Minnesota was the better team, deserved to win, played well enough to win, although not great, Wilcox was rock solid, etc. etc. etc.)...I don't think so.

Why can't Gopher fans just accept the fact that North Dakota played really bad tonight, and probably their worst game of the year tonight? I would think they would rejoice. Your team won for crying out loud...enjoy the victory.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    Based on Hajdu's comments after the game, I was really glad I decided to not sign in to the game chat tonight on Schloss' blog and UNDSports. That thing gets negative enough when we win. Can't imagine how it is in a loss to the Gophers...
    Yeah. I usually stay away from the SS Forums and Game Chats during the games. They make me look like a glass half full kind of guy after a game like tonight.

Leave a comment:

• GopherFan89
    replied

FS23 is just trying to discredit the Gophers using his subtle (but not really) tactics of repeating the same thing over and over to try and convince himself that his squad is somehow much better than they appear. One could say that he claims his team was UND-eserving of a win!

Leave a comment:

• MinnesotaNorthStar
    replied

Uff...I can only imagine what's going on over there.
    Based on Hajdu's comments after the game, I was really glad I decided to not sign in to the game chat tonight on Schloss' blog and UNDSports. That thing gets negative enough when we win. Can't imagine how it is in a loss to the Gophers...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X