X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2012-13 Season Thread -- Part II

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
    At a very nice course!
    Yes it is. But I know Mookie was just pulling my leg. It's PITTSburgh, (not Fitchburg) where he's from, that he plays at. Probably Oakmont (ha ha). Arnold Palmer country.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      Yes it is. But I know Mookie was just pulling my leg. It's PITTSburgh, (not Fitchburg) where he's from, that he plays at. Probably Oakmont (ha ha). Arnold Palmer country.
      pro came up for a one day in august and we won first place gross
      but he left before oleary could give him his shirt :P
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        that's not what i said..... i asked specifically about the leadership and mgmt skills.

i, for example, believe that a former hockey coach can came into a business situation and lead "bank" "sales" "logistics" etc without knowing the first thing about hockey.

i specifically phrased my question with a "head" has three "asst mgrs' under him and a staff of 25. a good manager could step into a team situation and delegate his skill needs to competent mgrs and lead. our coach has specifically over the years voiced an issue with motivation. gauging the pulse of his team. having people quit.

not hockey issues. people skills.

think when you started working. you had a manager, and he had a manager. that top guy didn't do nitty gritty crap. he set goals. made plans. concentrated on motivation and bonuses and the big ticket things that moved the organization or team or group to meet those goals.

these skills are transferable between jobs. not everyone possesses them though.
        First of all, why would a hockey coach not know the first thing about hockey? (I suspect you meant banking / sales not hockey)

As previously stated, I certainly agree that leadership skills are to some extent transferable across industries.... just as the life lessons learned competing in sports in high school / college can be applied to "real life". Those leadership skills help... but you still need product/industry etc knowledge.

That being said, I disagree that very many (if any) banking/sales etc managers could come in and coach a division 1 team to a winning record.

I dont know your 6th grade teachers, your sisters or Rover's qualifications, but I doubt that they could ... and I seriously don't think that you believe they could either.

Comment

I wonder if at this point it would be in the best interest for both Hockey East and for BU if they moved over to the Atlantic Hockey Association, or maybe even the EZAC so that they won't drag the league down with them, especially since HE already has to deal with a terrible UCONN team joining and the collapse of the Maine program. Between the off-ice stuff, suspensions, cheap hits, Parker meltdowns, not to mention their poor play, it just seems that it would be addition by subtraction for the league, plus it would hopefully give BU the opportunity to start winning some games again due to the lesser competition. And if they can eventually get back to respectability and regain their Mojo, at some later date they could perhaps petition to re-join HE.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
            I wonder if at this point it would be in the best interest for both Hockey East and for BU if they moved over to the Atlantic Hockey Association, or maybe even the EZAC so that they won't drag the league down with them, especially since HE already has to deal with a terrible UCONN team joining and the collapse of the Maine program. Between the off-ice stuff, suspensions, cheap hits, Parker meltdowns, not to mention their poor play, it just seems that it would be addition by subtraction for the league, plus it would hopefully give BU the opportunity to start winning some games again due to the lesser competition. And if they can eventually get back to respectability and regain their Mojo, at some later date they could perhaps petition to re-join HE.
            oh carlolton, you're such a badazz.
            sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
              I dont know your 6th grade teachers, your sisters or Rover's qualifications, but I doubt that they could ... and I seriously don't think that you believe they could either.

you have three people here, i only brought up two... Sister Audrey. a nun. a penguin. benefits or a catholic school education.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                First of all, why would a hockey coach not know the first thing about hockey? (I suspect you meant banking / sales not hockey)

As previously stated, I certainly agree that leadership skills are to some extent transferable across industries.... just as the life lessons learned competing in sports in high school / college can be applied to "real life". Those leadership skills help... but you still need product/industry etc knowledge.

That being said, I disagree that very many (if any) banking/sales etc managers could come in and coach a division 1 team to a winning record.

I guarantee you I could coach them to a last place finish in the Beanpot.

They could bring in Lou Holtz and they don't come in last.

Phil Jackson, too.

Randy Jackson, no.

What we're lacking first and foremost is focus and motivation...we don't need a hockey coach for that.

Don't dismiss the addition by subtraction possibility too...the team might play better with no HC if his lack of energy and interest was hurting the team.

I suspect you'd get a few coaches willing to jump to BU. if the AD can't find a good guy, fire him and get somebody in who can hire a coach.

Lastly for tonight...it can get worse if we do nothing, so don't compare the new person to our best day, compare them to where we will be this time next year if no change is made.

When somebody loses their drive, it goes ugly fast, no matter sports or business. Only place that doesn't impact results is Congress...they have no drive all the time and still produce consistently.
                I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

pro came up for a one day in august and we won first place gross
                  but he left before oleary could give him his shirt :P
                  OK - so I was wrong... again...

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                    Only place that doesn't impact results is Congress...they have no drive all the time and still produce consistently.
                    Produce what????? (I hope you were being sarcastic....)

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      Produce what????? (I hope you were being sarcastic....)
                      Exactly
                      I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Forbidden Sex Secrets
                        A weird loop-hole in female psychology
                        that makes hot women want to sleep with ordinary men
                        over and over again. Watch the video >> http://bit.ly/12LgWx4

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                          But outside of the "internal" candidates, Quinn and Sullivan, who is coaching right now that is both qualified and proven to be successful, and willing to leave to come here? Blasi is the first name that comes to mind, but he's got a decent gig there at Miami, he's got a new arena, albeit the conference situation for him isn't the best, and Ohio isn't exactly fertile hockey recruiting ground, but he's still going to be playing top competition, he's got a school that has a bit of name recognition in hockey circles, the only glaring difference I could see that would be a major difference maker is if BU offered him a sum of money that Miami, being public, could not match.
                          The only reason I would be excited if you guys fired Parker is if it was followed up by hiring Failboat Blasi

Leaman is a hell of a coach

Comment

you have three people here, i only brought up two... Sister Audrey. a nun. a penguin. benefits or a catholic school education.
                            Ahh... I misread... hmm... maybe not at BU.. but she could apply up the street!

Comment

no ordinary men here ma'am, go sell crazy someplace else

Comment

Nothing particularly important about this post...just felt like relating this "story." I went to the consolation game two years ago when I was working in town. I sat behind three Harvard fans. There were probably 100 people in the Gahden. My recollection of the game was eerily similar to what has been posted about last Monday's game. Lack of effort, lack of commitment, bonehead decision-making, etc. So just to put some perspective on it, these problems have been around for awhile now. In fact, I would submit they have been around for several years (2009 happened because the team leadership refused to allow that team to sink into the same quagmire) or more. But anyway, the only funny thing from that day was when one of the guys in front of me, upon seeing Noonan skate in front of us, asked me "Is his first name Danny?" Little did I know at the time, but I should have responded, "It might as well be." (if you haven't seen "Caddyshack" don't bother with this post).

Comment

Working...
                                X