X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2012-13 Season Thread -- Part II

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    Quinn and Sullivan, who is coaching right now that is both qualified and proven to be successful, and willing to leave to come here?
    And I might add that (to me at least) there are some questions surrounding each of these guys.

But I like the way your post is going... possible names that we have not heard before.

The situation raises a quesiton... how does a long term coach who is near retirement age affect recruiting? We still seem to be getting (at least on paper) good recruits....I would imagine that one question any recruit would ask, weather it be Parker, York, Red, Umile etc is "How much longer are you going to be here and what is the plan for when you leave?". Do you miss out on some if there is not a good answer to that question?

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      I dont think we should all assume that there is no risk of a dropoff when the post JP era begins.
      Who cares? What exactly are we achieving now? We've failed to capture 6 out of the last 7 Beanpots and soon to be 6 out of the last 7 HE titles, and I don't think its been BC that's knocked us off in the HE tournament in any of those times that we lost. We've been to the FF once in 16 years. Again, only once was it BC that we lost to (2006). Nobody can use the "oh its BC standing in our way" excuse when we rarely even get to them.

So maybe a new coach has a down year if some players decommit. I'll take that chance. BU I'm guessing is willing to pay a hockey coach more than all but a handful of programs (the Big 10 schools come to mind). I find it hard to believe a good young coach wouldn't ditch a smaller school to coach here.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

here come two things:

1. mookie posting brownie's info
        2. certain BU fans comparing BU to what other programs have done in that period instead of comparing this stretch to what BU hockey once was

Comment

rover could lead this team to a better than .500 record. bu is 73-56-13 since april 2009. whoopty-****ing-doo. western is 67-54-29

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          But outside of the "internal" candidates, Quinn and Sullivan, who is coaching right now that is both qualified and proven to be successful, and willing to leave to come here? Blasi is the first name that comes to mind, but he's got a decent gig there at Miami, he's got a new arena, albeit the conference situation for him isn't the best, and Ohio isn't exactly fertile hockey recruiting ground, but he's still going to be playing top competition, he's got a school that has a bit of name recognition in hockey circles, the only glaring difference I could see that would be a major difference maker is if BU offered him a sum of money that Miami, being public, could not match.

Who else? Maybe the guy from QU, but is anyone really convinced he's ready to lead a program like BU? Maybe Nate or Norm, but even then, would they leave? They have low to no expectation jobs, to step in to a huge program with incredibly high standards, getting constantly compared to the arch rival down the street who is blowing away the competition all over the country by all standards, and replacing a guy who's been there for four decades. On the surface, it may be an ideal job, but as you delve into it, there are more than a few caution signs.
          this job would be a huge proving step for both of these guys. big time promotion.
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            here come three things:

1. mookie posting brownie's info
            2. certain BU fans comparing BU to what other programs have done in that period instead of comparing this stretch to what BU hockey once was
            3. JD wasting time here because the westfield st thread is pretty quiet

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              Who cares? What exactly are we achieving now? We've failed to capture 6 out of the last 7 Beanpots and soon to be 6 out of the last 7 HE titles, and I don't think its been BC that's knocked us off in the HE tournament in any of those times that we lost. We've been to the FF once in 16 years. Again, only once was it BC that we lost to (2006). Nobody can use the "oh its BC standing in our way" excuse when we rarely even get to them.

So maybe a new coach has a down year if some players decommit. I'll take that chance. BU I'm guessing is willing to pay a hockey coach more than all but a handful of programs (the Big 10 schools come to mind). I find it hard to believe a good young coach wouldn't ditch a smaller school to coach here.
              I agree, with any coaching change comes the risk of a temporary downturn while the new guy gets his system and recruits in, but that's probably not going to be that much worse than what we have now. The name BU alone should be able to bring in enough talent to warrant the same results we're getting now with superior talent. You could put me in at head coach and I could bring in guys that'd go .500. That said, it would also be wrong to hastily make a change and if the immediate choice(s) don't come, hire the first guy that walks in the door who had a winning season once. The guy that comes to mind in this scenario is the QU coach. We'd need to make the right hire with a short and long term view of reattaining the level of play that was expected here.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                rover could lead this team to a better than .500 record.
                I don't think you, rover or any of us believe that....

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                  You could put me in at head coach and I could bring in guys that'd go .500.
                  And I'm pretty sure you don't believe that either.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                    I don't think you, rover or any of us believe that....
                    well not rover... but my 6th grade teacher, sister audrey, could. these kids, with some discipline, can win half their games on talent alone. their selfish play though has cost a number of would be victories.

Comment

i love seeing mookie get bent all out of shape. that's when you know things are bad...

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        well not rover... but my 6th grade teacher, sister audrey, could. these kids, with some discipline, can win half their games on talent alone. their selfish play though has cost a number of would be victories.
                        And you think Audrey could bring that discipline? I think you are underestimating the challenges that being a head coach presents.

Comment

And you think Audrey could bring that discipline? I think you are underestimating the challenges that being a head coach presents.
                          she had a way with a stick

Comment

and just for the record, are you leading me to believe that if someone has a job - say with three mgrs under them, and a staff of 25 under them... that the leadership skills and mgmt expertise they apply to getting the job done with talented individuals in "bank" "sales" "logistics" etc is somehow less than that of a guy who coaches hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              and just for the record, are you leading me to believe that if someone has a job - say with three mgrs under them, and a staff of 25 under them... that the leadership skills and mgmt expertise they apply to getting the job done with talented individuals in "bank" "sales" "logistics" etc is somehow less than that of a guy who coaches hockey?
                              Certainly leadership and management skills are transferable across various industries to a certain degree.

Regardless, I really don't believe that you think anyone who is a good banking manager could come in and coach a D1 hockey team to a winning record.

Comment

Certainly leadership and management skills are transferable across various industries to a certain degree.

Regardless, I really don't believe that you think anyone who is a good banking manager could come in and coach a D1 hockey team to a winning record.
                                that's not what i said..... i asked specifically about the leadership and mgmt skills.

i, for example, believe that a former hockey coach can came into a business situation and lead "bank" "sales" "logistics" etc without knowing the first thing about hockey.

i specifically phrased my question with a "head" has three "asst mgrs' under him and a staff of 25. a good manager could step into a team situation and delegate his skill needs to competent mgrs and lead. our coach has specifically over the years voiced an issue with motivation. gauging the pulse of his team. having people quit.

not hockey issues. people skills.

think when you started working. you had a manager, and he had a manager. that top guy didn't do nitty gritty crap. he set goals. made plans. concentrated on motivation and bonuses and the big ticket things that moved the organization or team or group to meet those goals.

these skills are transferable between jobs. not everyone possesses them though.

Comment

Working...
                                X