This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2012-13 Season Thread -- Part II

Parker's quote about not having anyone we don't want or whatever it was really sounds like a 14 year old girl who got dumped by her first boyfriend "yeah well I don't even care he was ugly anyway wahh!" Well let me tell you something I don't know when BU hockey started to get coached by a 14 year old girl but it obviously hasn't made us into a very good hockey team. Cisse was a great player, one who's athleticism would really allow him to succeed in this league, and I know the "results" and "numbers" weren't there but he just needed some time to grow into his role and to get used to the ridiculous Hockey East refereeing. I've been getting on the Parker Must Go side of things lately but that quote really did it for me I don't know why.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruikka Task View Post
      Parker's quote about not having anyone we don't want or whatever it was really sounds like a 14 year old girl who got dumped by her first boyfriend "yeah well I don't even care he was ugly anyway wahh!" Well let me tell you something I don't know when BU hockey started to get coached by a 14 year old girl but it obviously hasn't made us into a very good hockey team. Cisse was a great player, one who's athleticism would really allow him to succeed in this league, and I know the "results" and "numbers" weren't there but he just needed some time to grow into his role and to get used to the ridiculous Hockey East refereeing. I've been getting on the Parker Must Go side of things lately but that quote really did it for me I don't know why.
      Apart from Parkers quote after Cisse left... which sure, might have been better to just "no comment". Do you think Cisse should have been handled differently? And if so how?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        Are you sure that wasn't Jofa that said that? BTW, where did he go once he showed up and denied saying that Coyle was a terrible hockey player (and had that easily refuted)?
        Jofa's been working DW. Mortgage business still slow you've been on here alot commenting on someone elses team. Coyle was a borderline dog here after January 2011, I will stick with my opinion. I am sure he will do better elsewhere.

Comment

Myron signed with Kalamazoo in the ECHL http://www.echl.com/echl-transactions-feb-7-p181794
          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
            Apart from Parkers quote after Cisse left... which sure, might have been better to just "no comment". Do you think Cisse should have been handled differently? And if so how?
            Cisse was getting a lot of time on the first line, and the power play.
            It wasn't like Myron, who was in and out of the lineup.

If a guy is getting playing time on the first line and power play, what more can he ask for? And if he takes a dumb penalty against BC, and gets chewed out for it (if he even did?), he's got to be man enough to suck it up and move on.

Cisse had a lot of potential, but he wasn't producing. Myron didn't have the same physical skills, but could have developed into a solid two-way college player. A star he was not, and never will be.
            Was Parker being unfair to them? Or were they not being fair with themselves, and consequently the team.
            Last edited by Harry Cleverly; 02-07-2013, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
              Myron signed with Kalamazoo in the ECHL http://www.echl.com/echl-transactions-feb-7-p181794
              Why isn't he playing juniors? Too old?

This kid is headed to oblivion, and Kalamazoo isn't that far from it.
              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                Cisse was getting a lot of time on the first line, and the power play.
                It wasn't like Myron, who was in and out of the lineup.

If a guy is getting playing time on the first line and power play, what more can he ask for? And if he takes a dumb penalty against BC, and gets chewed out for it (if he even did?), he's got to be man enough to suck it up and move on.

Cisse had a lot of potential, but he wasn't producing. Myron didn't have the same physical skills, but could have developed into a solid two-way college player. A star he was not, and never will be.
                Was Parker being unfair to them? Or were they not being fair with themselves, and consequently the team.
                Or does Parker have trouble developing players?

What disturbs me is some of these kids have to know they're not going to make a career out of playing hockey, yet they choose to ditch the program anyway instead of getting an education. They can't all have their heads in the clouds so why exactly do we have so many players ditching the team? That's what you need to be asking yourself.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  That's what you need to be asking yourself.
                  I don't need to be asking because I already know the answer. All you have to do is look at the body language. Watch the BU bench and you see a disinterested HC who is leaning back against the wall with his arms crossed most of the time and looks like he is in another world. When BU takes a stupid penalty (or makes some other error), does he say anything? Does he talk to the player? Does he COACH? Or does he just show that little sarcastic smirk? The only time I see any animation out of him at all now is when he screams at the refs. Now (forgive me, but the truth hurts) watch Jerry York. He's engaged, enthusiastic, patting his players on the back and always COACHING and giving them encouragement. Look at Bill Belichick who doesn't even see all of the plays because he is busy on the sidelines with a group of players huddling around him listening to him explain something.

You can see the PASSION in the latter two aforementioned people. You can't see any passion anymore in JP. When a coach's reaction is essentially equivalent to "rolling his eyes", as if to say, "Jeez, I told them this before. Why won't they do what I say," instead of ACTIVELY ENGAGING to correct the problem, you know he isn't really into it anymore. I wish everyone would stop the romanticizing about the past and just take the eyeball test. What do you see? I see someone whose time has passed and needs to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    Or does Parker have trouble developing players?

What disturbs me is some of these kids have to know they're not going to make a career out of playing hockey, yet they choose to ditch the program anyway instead of getting an education. They can't all have their heads in the clouds so why exactly do we have so many players ditching the team? That's what you need to be asking yourself.
                    I don't doubt that a couple of these guys do have their heads in the clouds more than a little bit. If Myron thought he was deserving of top 6 minutes, his head is most definitely on another planet. If Cisse thought he wasn't getting enough opportunities here, the same. Where I'd place the onus on Parker in these situations is not doing a better job of keeping these kinds of kids and their egos out of the program to begin with.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                      I don't doubt that a couple of these guys do have their heads in the clouds more than a little bit. If Myron thought he was deserving of top 6 minutes, his head is most definitely on another planet. If Cisse thought he wasn't getting enough opportunities here, the same. Where I'd place the onus on Parker in these situations is not doing a better job of keeping these kinds of kids and their egos out of the program to begin with.
                      I would agree with this...

I really wonder if we have at times thrown caution to the wind just going willy nilly trying to grab the best "talent" that we can without taking other things into consideration. The questions i mentioned below... I really wonder if we are aksing those.

"Do you think NCAA hockey is the best path to the NHL?"
                      "How interested in academics are you in addition to playing hockey?"
                      "If you are on the 4th line your freshman year, how will you react and who will you blame?"

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                        Well, of course that would be the best-case scenario. But I don't know anyone who has a 100% perfect recruiting record. Put another way, you're always going to get kids like this. It's how you deal with it that counts. Again, it all speaks to the level of engagement. Not to beat a dead horse, but I bring back the Belichick analogy. Does anyone think that Corey Dillon, Randy Moss, Akib Talib are angels? I could go on and on but you get the point. He DEALT with it and got them to be productive members of a functioning unit. I just think that whenever JP is confronted with a situation like that, he no longer has the energy and commitment to put in that work to try to get those types of players to coalesce. You know, it's a two way street. We blame the players, but if you were a player, what would your reaction be if your coach didn't put the effort in to make you feel as though you were wanted here? I mean, do the comments that JP makes about players after they have gone out the door exactly engender warm and fuzzy feelings? After witnessing some of these situations, would YOU want to come and play for a coach that takes shots like that? Whatever happened to "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?" Do you blame them for quitting? Especially with today's mindset of "what's in it for me?" I know that many of us (and I am certainly old school) don't like the fact that we have to coddle and pamper these players, but that's the game. If you can't adjust to it, then, again, move on.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                          Well, of course that would be the best-case scenario. But I don't know anyone who has a 100% perfect recruiting record. Put another way, you're always going to get kids like this. It's how you deal with it that counts. Again, it all speaks to the level of engagement. Not to beat a dead horse, but I bring back the Belichick analogy. Does anyone think that Corey Dillon, Randy Moss, Akib Talib are angels? I could go on and on but you get the point. He DEALT with it and got them to be productive members of a functioning unit. I just think that whenever JP is confronted with a situation like that, he no longer has the energy and commitment to put in that work to try to get those types of players to coalesce. You know, it's a two way street. We blame the players, but if you were a player, what would your reaction be if your coach didn't put the effort in to make you feel as though you were wanted here? I mean, do the comments that JP makes about players after they have gone out the door exactly engender warm and fuzzy feelings? After witnessing some of these situations, would YOU want to come and play for a coach that takes shots like that? Whatever happened to "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?" Do you blame them for quitting? Especially with today's mindset of "what's in it for me?" I know that many of us (and I am certainly old school) don't like the fact that we have to coddle and pamper these players, but that's the game. If you can't adjust to it, then, again, move on.
                          It is a two way street for sure, but at the same time there are some who will pretty much always go against the grain.... I do wonder if we are trying to filter these guys out before they get here.

His quote in yesterdays Freep:

“I guess we should be a little more concerned about trying to … make sure we get kids who are more dedicated to their decision,” Parker said
                          really makes me wonder if we are trying to filter these guys out at all.

And yes, regardless if Jack and staff could do a better job dealing with these guys or not, I absolutely blame the players for quitting on their team mid season. How about toughing it out and seeing if you come out on the end better for it?

Comment

The more I think about it, the more different I see the Cisse and Myron cases. I fault Cisse much less. He certainly was given the opportunity, and it just wasn't working, over a period of time. This was his chance to breakout, but it wasn't happening. The injuries didn't help, and for him, perhaps a change of scenery was the right thing. However, I don't like the mid-season departure - that is not fair to your teammates.

With Myron, it seems that at the first sign of adversity, he bolted. Of course, none of us know all the facts. Perhaps the Canucks were pressuring him to go a different route, panicking as they saw a local draft pick not panning out. But it is definitely not a good sign for him that he wasn't willing to put in the time to make things right. I'm sure his head grew once he was drafted. But, the pros don't always get their recruiting right either (see Kealty, Jeff).
                            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Parker has become a carbon copy of Harry Sinden. He was another guy who thought the players should all go back to the way they were, as opposed to dealing with how they are now. Yeah, it was obscene with some of the money players were making, but if that was the market rate for a 3rd line forward so be it. That was reality. Instead Sinden wanted to pay everybody on the same scale as 1968, because if that was good for Bobby Orr it should be good for everybody else. Its a timewarp mentality that doesn't cut it anymore.

Obviously Parker's not dealing with salaries, but his approach is similar, which is you must adhere to dump and chase and play the game like a 4th line checking forward no matter your talent level. You also must self motivate and develop on your own. That's just not reality anymore for admittedly coddled kids who are young enough to be his grandkids.
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                                The more I think about it, the more different I see the Cisse and Myron cases. I fault Cisse much less. He certainly was given the opportunity, and it just wasn't working, over a period of time. This was his chance to breakout, but it wasn't happening. The injuries didn't help, and for him, perhaps a change of scenery was the right thing. However, I don't like the mid-season departure - that is not fair to your teammates.
                                Agreed... might have been very different were it not for the injuries.

Comment

Working...
                                X