This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2012-13 Season Thread -- Part II

Okay so Cisse and Myron are gone.....and the team continues to lose. If its the players fault for quitting and leaving the program, why does the program still suck on the ice after these guys are gone?

Look, I'm long passed calling for Parker to go, but I think we're at the point where I feel sad for him. Somebody close to him, be it a family member, a peer, or a former player needs to pull him aside, explain reality, and then tell him its time to go. I get why he sticks around. Its not easy for someone with the determination to be a legendary coach to just be able to turn it off like that. However, at some point you have to realize what everybody else does. The coach's strength was never in player development or motivation. It solely rested on recruitment. If he can no longer get the recruits or if they're taking off after a year or two here even if they have no prospects elsewhere, this situation will not reverse itself.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Ugh. Suspensions have all been served and they bend over and get Nicastro'd by Umass. This is looking great for Parker to get these guys going for another Beanpot. Let me congratulate BU in advance on the next two Monday victories coming.
      Originally posted by reBlur
      the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        Okay so Cisse and Myron are gone.....and the team continues to lose. If its the players fault for quitting and leaving the program, why does the program still suck on the ice after these guys are gone?

Look, I'm long passed calling for Parker to go, but I think we're at the point where I feel sad for him. Somebody close to him, be it a family member, a peer, or a former player needs to pull him aside, explain reality, and then tell him its time to go. I get why he sticks around. Its not easy for someone with the determination to be a legendary coach to just be able to turn it off like that. However, at some point you have to realize what everybody else does. The coach's strength was never in player development or motivation. It solely rested on recruitment. If he can no longer get the recruits or if they're taking off after a year or two here even if they have no prospects elsewhere, this situation will not reverse itself.
        Rover the lemmings and worshipers (including many on here) will never realize what the astute observers have seen for years. Now I am telling you this "sample size" is going on 15 years. I enjoyed the 2009 title for about 15 minutes because I knew it would lead to another decade of underperformance, dysfunction and arrogance. We were a couple of own goals away by BU opponents of being done with Parker for good, frustrating.So its Groundhog Day (for real)with the BU hockey program but the "followers" still trust the "celebrity" coach, I cant think of any other reason why they refuse to look at reality.

Comment

Kurker was threatening to leave, he leveraged out coming here a year early for keeping the commitment.It was a big mistake for him and the team to do so. He is not a D1 worthy player right now.

Comment

I feel for Megan. Senior captain, he is doing his best (on the ice at least) from what I have seen to try to make it a good season. He deserves better. I'l hold out hope that the guys can use the Beanpot to start a run, but right now, they are not an NCAA tourney team.
            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
              I feel for Megan. Senior captain, he is doing his best (on the ice at least) from what I have seen to try to make it a good season. He deserves better. I'l hold out hope that the guys can use the Beanpot to start a run, but right now, they are not an NCAA tourney team.
              No they are not. Not close. We're looking at a 16-21 range.
              Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Not even site they'll be HE top 4 when the dust settles.
                Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                  Kurker was threatening to leave, he leveraged out coming here a year early for keeping the commitment.It was a big mistake for him and the team to do so. He is not a D1 worthy player right now.
                  Which I don't understand because he's a 2nd round pick. Why don't these guys ever work out once they get here?

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    Which I don't understand because he's a 2nd round pick. Why don't these guys ever work out once they get here?
                    Isn't it a bit early to say he hasn't worked out? After all we are basically halfway through his freshman year, and as mentioned came a year early (which is one less year of development prior to his arrival).

Comment

There are eight other Hockey East programs that wished that they 'sucked' as much as BU over the past decade. So "suck" is a very relative term.

Cisse and Myron combined to score 4 goals and 2 assists for 6 points in 59 games. Cisse was playing regularly on the first line, when he chose to opt out.
                      Myron looked like a potentially decent two-way player. But no way he was a first or second line guy this year, on this team.

That is sometimes hard for drafted, incoming players to accept, when they don't turn it on and produce right away.

Bottom line: Cisse and Myron have no one to blame but themselves.
                      If they think the grass is greener elsewhere, good luck to them.
                      The only difficulty in replacing them is with actual bodies, because they quit on their team in midseason, rather than at the end of the year when they can be replaced.

Kurker was a second round draft choice for his potential, not for what was at the draft. He has good size and good hands, and skates pretty well when he decides that he wants to do that. He is far, far from the finished article. In fact, he really isn't close right now.
                      When he was in high school, the knock on him was that he cruise through games and pick his spots to turn it on. He can't do that at this level, and still be effective. He needs to learn to work every shift, and not make so many blind passes.
                      He would have benefited greatly from a year in the USHL, because it has only been lately that he looks like a legitimate college player. He is getting better, and he still could become pretty good.
                      If you want a comparison, Chiasson was also a second round draft choice. Other than their draft status, there isn't much else to compare them in their first year.

If people aren't happy with Kurker's development, what about O'Regan's. He is progressing very nicely, without as much of the hype.

Hohmann was unhappy as a freshman. He had always been a first line guy wherever he played, and he found himself on the third or fourth line last year. He didn't accept that assignment too well. But where did he deserve to play last season? Third or fourth line, at best. His attitude last year wasn't the best.
                      But he didn't quit. He stuck it out, and worked hard to get better.
                      How is it working out for him? Pretty darn well, if you ask me. And likely if you asked him, too

I'm sorry, but I have difficulty drumming up much, if any, sympathy for guys that quit on their teammates in midseason.
                      Too many players these days walk away, rather than work harder, when things don't go their way. They can't accept anything but instant gratification.
                      If you want to talk about about character guys, the backbone of hockey, don't talk about them. They don't have it. The proof is in their actions, both in lack of production when they do play, and abandoning ship when they don't get their way.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                        Isn't it a bit early to say he hasn't worked out? After all we are basically halfway through his freshman year, and as mentioned came a year early (which is one less year of development prior to his arrival).

A fair point but one would think the 56th player taken in the NHL draft would have the talent to have a greater impact on the ice.

Harry not sure of your age but you sound like these older fans who can't get past the Parker is God complex. The 8 other hockey east teams are irrelevant. We're getting smoked by our biggest rival. Doesn't that bother you?

Comment

A fair point but one would think the 56th player taken in the NHL draft would have the talent to have a greater impact on the ice.

Harry not sure of your age but you sound like these older fans who can't get past the Parker is God complex. The 8 other hockey east teams are irrelevant. We're getting smoked by our biggest rival. Doesn't that bother you?
                          OK, In Honor of Ground Day as one of the VERY older posters the past 10 years, I will keep saying what i have said repeatably since 2005. PARKER MUST GO. I'm with Rover and a few others who have been around. I go back to 1965 and saw Parker play against York and remember how Jack Kelly brought this program to prominence. I remember when Vermont, Lowell, UMASS, Merrimack and UNH were D2 programs. Maine did not exist.

Anyway you want to break down the stats and nit pick about the players, the bottom line is that Parker has WAY over stayed his welcome. Just like Ron Mason when he was at MSU and Red at UM, he gets the players based on the reputation of the program. I lived the glory years form 1967-1978 and of course 1990 - 1997 and what we have experienced the pst 15 years is sad and bordering on pathetic.

Groundhog day was when BU hockey went into over drive and played the way BC has played over the same 15 year period. We OWNED Feb and March. I'm sorry, but all this crap I have been reading here the past 10 years about the players is CRAP. Its Parker pure and simple. Dave Quinn would be the coach of this team if Parker was not a stubborn mule and the Admin of the college was not a bunch of wimps. Any other coach in the country would have been fired after the BS that went on here the past 2-3 year, especially last year. Jackie DOE NOT GET IT and wont step down. He had the perfect opportunity after winning in 2009 to retire and hand the program to Quinnie and did not do it.

Back in 2003 after losing again in the regional finals AGAIN to UNH, all anyone talked about was how when the new arena opened we would get all the great players ... and we have gotten great players since 2005 and Jackie turns them into crap or they get big heads and screw off. I'm beginning to feel like 2009 was a fluke. That was one of greatest teams i have ever seen and they almost did not make out of the regional final against UNH. They should have smoked UVM and Miami and were lucky to win both games. That team was every bit as good or better than 1995 and 1978 and 1972 and squeeked by.

WHY??????? One word coaching. Jackie MUST go. If he wont retire, fire him. NOW!!!
                          Last edited by bantam75; 02-02-2013, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bantam75 View Post
                            He had the perfect opportunity after winning in 2009 to retire and hand the program to Quinnie and did not do it..
                            ..one word - ego.

Very few high acheivers get the timing of their retirement right.. very few. Most overstay their welcome.. be it in business, sport, politics (if the electorate let's it go on..) - anywhere. Jack Parker is no different. He would have (could have) been more than a legend at the U (wasn't he already).. retiring in 2009 or even 2010.

Now.. it is about ego & going out on his terms. Someone will gracefully walk him out eventually.
                            Only thing is.. he'll tell them when the time is right.

See you guys Monday.. hopefully it is a competitive game for both our teams.
                            GO NU HOCKEY
                            Always bullish on the future.
                            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                              ..one word - ego
                              See you guys Monday.. hopefully it is a competitive game for both our teams.
                              And it will be competitive because Parker is still the coach. Huskies were a door mat for decades. Except Bruce Racine period. I have lots of respect for NE because to be competitive against BU, BC and UNH as they have been of late is tribute to how hard they work. To lose to the Huskies at home is a disgrace last weekend. This team has quit on Jack ... again. If they finish over .500 it will not because of Parker

Comment

Speaking of players leaving, stories popping up that Charlie Coyle was called up by Minnesota today. Carry on...
                                Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Working...
                                X