This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2012-13 Season Thread -- Part II

If you assume JP coaches to the end of his contract... or if you assume that he has already said he is going to hang it up at the end of this year or next... do you (collective you) think his future replacement should be here as an assistant now / next year or not at all?

Comment

I've got to get some work done, but let me just say this. BU's "elite" status is well secured. The program will survive. The fact that we are in a hockey-crazy area will be a salvaging force. We'll always get talent because a certain percentage of local players will always want to play at a local school, in the Beanpot, etc. I don't think there is any long-term concern, but my point was that the way we measure success may change. Nothing in life is static. And I also think that it seems as though some people want to win because they are more worried about whether or not we will still be an elite program instead of just for winning's sake. Thus my citing of the statistics, because if UCLA can still be considered "elite," I don't think we have that much to worry about here at BU. And believe me, we are facing the brunt of it now from the BC fans who are riding high. I remember going to a game at McHugh forum in 1975...we were slaughtering BC as usual when one women in her 60s turns around to us and crows, "At least OUR players are AMERICAN!!!!!!!" In fact, one of the big cheers that the BC pep band used to play was to the tune of "Yankee Doodle." So, things change. And they go in cycles. If you look at the stats, you will find as often as not that teams won championships in "chunks." It's not as if they won at an "even" rate. BC has won four times in the last twelve years and went 52 years before that. York won't coach forever, either. And when he goes, they will be rebuilding, trust me. So this drought won't last forever. We're all frustrated right now, but things will get better.

Comment

A strong coach/leader can win anywhere.

Jeff Jackson: Lake State
        Shawn Walsh: Maine
        Jim Calhoun: UConn
        Pat Fitzgerald: Northwestern (I'm a big NU fan. I couldn't resist.)

The fact that tradition/arena/city/Beanpot/great conference are already in place to help attract recruits means an awesome coach has 5 less hurdles to get over before the championships start flooding in.

BU Hockey: Tarnished Elite
        Last edited by Bomber; 02-12-2013, 03:21 PM.
        It Happened!!!!

Comment

I tried to find a hockey blog and stumbled into "Ulysses" -- sheesh!

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          NESN didn't televise this game so they probably didn't have much video of it. If BU and Harvard don't make clips of it you won't find them.
          Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          The Garden wasn't even using the normal TV camera booth to show the game on the jumbotron, they were using some camera on a tripod somewhere off to the side and showing that feed, so I doubt there's any highlights that exist anywhere.
          Ah, that explains it; thanks.

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          no need to apologize! mookie does his golfing in f'burg
          mookie's whole mind is in f-burg.
          Bugs Bunny - 96
          Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
            york won't coach forever, either.
            lies!

Comment

Agree that these things often go in cycles. However, the current down cycle is too long, and I have no comfort that it will come back up. In fact, if it was going to go up, then 2006 and 2009 should have been the triggers. but in each case, the team followed it up with several non-eventful years. The cycle won't start again until the coaching problem is fixed.

I'm not asking for 7 FF's in 8 years as we had from 1990 to 1997. I'd like to be in the FF at least every third year. I'd like to be in more HE Championship games.
              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                The cycle won't start again until the coaching problem is fixed.
                Right, but this WILL happen and things will get better again. Probably not as quickly as we'd like (see the discussion above about why it is difficult to confront this issue). Together we can! Hope and change! Forward!

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                  I'd like to be in the FF at least every third year.
                  In the last 15 years, other than BC, how many teams have been in the FF every third year?

Edit: I don't know the answer... Minnesota maybe? Denver? North Dakota?
                  Last edited by ericredaxe; 02-12-2013, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                    mookie's whole mind is in f-burg.
                    f'town.

my golf is in f-burg. my mind is in f'town
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                      In the last 15 years, other than BC, how many teams have been in the FF every third year?

Where were you last week?

BC 10
                      Ndak 7
                      MICH 6
                      MAINE 6
                      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

Don't know either...difficult to find. But I can tell you how many Frozen Fours each school has been in (not WHEN):

Michigan24
                        Boston College23
                        Boston University21
                        Minnesota20
                        North Dakota19
                        Denver14
                        Harvard12
                        Wisconsin12
                        Maine11
                        Michigan State11
                        Colorado College10
                        Michigan Tech10
                        St. Lawrence9
                        Cornell8
                        Clarkson7
                        New Hampshire7
                        RPI5

Don't think too many people are feeling bad for us...

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          f'town.

my golf is in f-burg. my mind is in f'town
                          Only one course there...Oak Hill. I must know you...

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                            A strong coach/leader can win anywhere.

Jeff Jackson: Lake State
                            Shawn Walsh: Maine
                            Jim Calhoun: UConn
                            Jim Fitzgerald: Northwestern (I'm a big NU fan. I couldn't resist.)

The fact that tradition/arena/city/Beanpot/great conference are already in place to help attract recruits means an awesome coach has 5 less hurdles to get over before the championships start flooding in.

BU Hockey: Tarnished Elite
                            In regard to winning anywhere, it's interesting that two of those guys were proven cheaters in Calhoun and Walsh.

Also, you're such a big Northwestern fan that you called him Jim and not Pat

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              In regard to winning anywhere, it's interesting that two of those guys were proven cheaters in Calhoun and Walsh.
                              I was waiting for one of you pinheads to comment. Please provide evidence that Calhoun is a cheater, on any of his championship teams, specifically, or otherwise. What he was suspended for three games for last season is now no longer an NCAA rule. Putting Calhoun and Walsh in the same sentence is utterly laughable.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Sorry UConn fanboy, I'll place the scum Calhoun a step above Shawn Walsh. Happy?

Comment

Working...
                                X