X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part III: There Will Be Math Involved

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    I guess we watched different games then. I saw an RPI team which for **** near all of the game had an outstanding forecheck, rolled 3 lines that were hard to play against,blocked a ton of shots (Q announcers said this repeatedly) and a goaltender, as you noted, who made all of the saves he should have and a few that he flat out stole. The number of shorty and odd man bids we generated in and of itself was impressive and a change for the better for RPI, lest we forget, we're usually on the other end of those scenarios. You also failed to mention that RPI also hit at least 2 pipes, including Bubela late in the 3rd which could've won it. All of this done against a red-hot team.

Knocking a freshman D skating in what, his 5th career D1 game against a top team? Weak. Perspective... try some.
    Wicked-I saw what you did-mostly. i still saw far too many odd man situations against us and far too many open men close in who just missed or mishandled a puck. Overall I thought it was one of our best efforts against admittedly a very good opportunistic team. At least i went to bed thinking we could have won this one, they could have won this one. I felt the same after BU. This game had 12 penalties called so perhaps 20 minutes of special teams play. And normally that spells disaster for us. It didn't, which is good. But it almost did a couple times-and that is still not good. We are improving-but we do not bury pucks enough so that we afford to give up any soft or easy goals against. I liked what i saw last night-and I have several times this season. But i still haven't developed the confidence in this team and feel they can play consistently well for a full 60-65 minutes without having those little lapses that seem to hurt us and cost us games.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

OK finally home from Princeton with a few things-First meeting up with the posters and other alums was just great. We have one of the best fan bases in the nation and some really great guys. Quick sendout to Flagdude-You made a big hit-especially with Jenny who loves her men with long hair. Great to put faces with the names. Waite-always great to see you. Just sorry some others were not able to make it.
      Now the game-we were the better team tonight. We just played one horrible first period. Princeton always comes out fast at home and today was no different. They had jump, we had none. It seemed like we left our legs on the bus. Bryce played very well-and the PP goal against he had no prayer on. Perfect pass across diagonally and no one picked the guy up near the net. As bad as we played the first period-that's how good we played the second. We absolutely dominated. I figured we outshot them 8 to 1 or more. We scored once-probably scored a second one as everyone around us(including PU fans) felt the puck was in well before Dumas(I think he was the one) blew his whistle claiming he lost sight of the puck. It was not reviewed-for reasons unknown. That goal would have been the difference. We did put one other one in about 1/2 second after the period ended and that was indeed the correct call. No complaints. The combination of Kotyra and Dumas called very little-they let an unbelievable amount of interference and holding go-some on us-but moreso on PU in that second period when we were just absolutely in control. Third period we also were by far the better team. We just could not finish-we had the chances-we played great defense-it just seemed we were snake bitten. Finally-we had to pull Merriam and I must say we are the worst team once we pull the goalie. We are better even strength than we are with a 6th man on the ice. I do not know if that is something you can really practice-but we are just totally ineffective at putting any pressure on and we just cannot keep the puck in the offensive zone. I did think we were a bit lazy getting back when PU scored the first empty net goal-perhaps we did finally tire in those waning moments.
      The good-we have a lot of talent out there. When we get things together we are a very tough nosed hard hitting team that can really skate. The bad-left with that empty feeling-we did everything you need to win-we took few penalties, we outshot them badly (I don't think Merriam had to make 5 saves in the last 40 minutes and none of them were tough) and we had several good chances-yet we still found that we played just well enough to lose. And losing is just a crappy feeling.
      Still a good time with friends-the place was crowded (and warm for a change) and RPI fans probably outnumbered the locals. Had dinner with friends from Montreal and Toronto after the game and we all agreed-this team could put it all together and be a lot of trouble for others to play as the season continues. SA has this team close to where they need to be.

Comment

DrD - It's a real treat to relive all the 85 memories through your posts. So many details I remember after reading your recollections. Would love to make the trip to meet you and the rest of the crew. I have a scrapbook from that year which has almost all of the games. I'm sure that would be a hoot to read through. Seems almost hard to believe some of us lived through the previous year (in pain) and saw the team win the whole enchilada the year after. My family decided to make the trip to the Garden in person, after holding out for Lake Placid the year before and getting denied, and didn't go to Detroit. Don't remember watching the semifinal except for the sports highlights, which were replayed over and over and over.....

...as for tonight, too bad they dropped a stink bomb in the first period. We do seem to play well enough to lose. And it does seem they should stick to not pulling the goalie - it's clear they don't practice it, or can't get a rhythm when they pull him. Maybe this weekend is the one they gel for 2 games and get all 4... lets go Red!
        Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

I know a few people had asked for it, and since I wanted a reason to avoid cleaning my house, I've amassed the referee data for all games refereed by ECAC officials during Coach Appert's tenure. You can find the detailed attachment here. Many interesting things pop out of the data (for example, we have a winning record in games officiated by Hicks, surprisingly, and John Murphy is a bad omen, not surprisingly). Listed below are the two summaries (of those officials we have seen 3 or more times) of RPI's winning percentage, and the average number of penalty minutes assessed to RPI per game by referee.

Winning Percentage by Referee, 2006-2013
          Code:
          Referee		Games Officiated	RPI Win Percentage
          Dave Hansen		3		0.8333
          Jean-Yves Roy		5		0.7000
          Dan Murphy		3		0.6667
          Derek Wahl		8		0.6250
          Eric Ernst		9		0.6111
          Bryan Hicks		15		0.5667
          Alex Dell		22		0.5455
          Eugene Binda Jr		3		0.5000
          Frank Murphy		4		0.5000
          Jeff Zelasko		4		0.5000
          Scott Hansen		4		0.5000
          Tim Kotyra		22		0.4545
          Nick Litterio		10		0.4500
          Mike Baker		17		0.4412
          Andy O'Brien		23		0.4348
          Scott Whittemore	15		0.4333
          Chip McDonald		32		0.4063
          Bob Ritchie		14		0.3929
          Harry Dumas		9		0.3889
          Joe Carusone		18		0.3889
          Peter Feola		26		0.3846
          Pete Torgerson		4		0.3750
          Bob St. Lawrence	15		0.3667
          John Murphy		26		0.3462
          Chris Ciamaga		6		0.3333
          Tom Steinel Jr		3		0.3333
          Jack Millea		6		0.2500
          Kevin Graber		6		0.1667
          Mark Riley		3		0.0000
          Referee Average				0.4446
          Average Penalty Minutes Assessed to RPI per Game by Referee, 2006-2013
          Code:
          Referee		Avg Minutes per Game
          Jack Millea		27.17
          Eugene Binda Jr		23.00
          Mark Riley		21.33
          Bob Ritchie		19.86
          Tim Kotyra		19.14
          Frank Murphy		18.50
          Dave Hansen		18.33
          Scott Whittemore	17.67
          Harry Dumas		17.56
          Peter Feola		17.27
          Bryan Hicks		17.07
          Mike Baker		16.76
          John Murphy		16.50
          Nick Litterio		16.20
          Joe Carusone		16.17
          Jeff Zelasko		15.75
          Kevin Graber		15.50
          Alex Dell		14.68
          Chip McDonald		14.50
          Jean-Yves Roy		13.80
          Pete Torgerson		13.00
          Scott Hansen		13.00
          Chris Ciamaga		12.50
          Derek Wahl		11.38
          Tom Steinel Jr		11.33
          Andy O'Brien		10.96
          Eric Ernst		10.00
          Bob St. Lawrence	9.80
          Dan Murphy		9.33
          Referee Average		15.79
          Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

Got back in one piece, and here are my thoughts:

1. Despite how awful Kotyra and Dumas(s) were, at the end of the day, we had a clear chance to tie it up, and we couldn't do it. I know we hear so much from Coach Appert about how refereeing is not the reason we lose games, and if he said it tonight, he is spot on. Sure, there was a slash on the first PU goal, interference on the second, not to mention the whistle happy Dumas(s), but none of that mattered in the third.
            2. I'm starting to feel bad for Brock Higgs. That kid just can't buy a goal this year. He's a really talented player, and I'm not just saying this because they can drive 100 miles to kick my ***. He was the one with the break in the third. Of course, now that I say this, he'll probably get a hat trick next week...
            3. Pennsylvanians can't drive. Remind me next time I go to Princeton (if ever) to take 17 around.

Comment

Does anyone else think that Princeton shouldn't be allowed to start Saturday league games at 4 PM? These are always against a team that had to get there from Connecticut. I assume that RPI drove there after the Friday game, as opposed to Saturday morning, but even so, it has to give them a significant advantage.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Does anyone else think that Princeton shouldn't be allowed to start Saturday league games at 4 PM?
                Aren't those 4:00 starts (also done sometimes by the North Country teams) to accomodate travel after the games due to the outlying locations?
                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                2023 National Champions
                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                  Aren't those 4:00 starts (also done sometimes by the North Country teams) to accomodate travel after the games due to the outlying locations?
                  I don't recall us ever having an early game in the North Country. Neither has any early home league games on their schedule this season.

I know that some games are early to accommodate TV, but RPI's game at PU wasn't on TV.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Does anyone else think that Princeton shouldn't be allowed to start Saturday league games at 4 PM? These are always against a team that had to get there from Connecticut. I assume that RPI drove there after the Friday game, as opposed to Saturday morning, but even so, it has to give them a significant advantage.
                    Right on the button Ralph. Having watched Princeton at home at least a couple times each year for the past 37 years you are definitely on to something. Last night they did exactly what they try to do every home game and especially the early starts. They come out fast-forecheck with 2 and 3 forewards and just try to overwhelm you and score in the first period. If they can get a lead (and especially more than 1 goal) they play a more restrained defensive game. It doesn't always work for them-but it is their style and has been through the several coaches they have had that we have seen. We just could not put enough pucks in the right spots last night. I know we grossly out shot them-but that doesn't tell the entire story. We took an enormous number of shots from the points that were blocked, we took a ton of shots that went wide by a few feet, and their senior goaltender made one or two highlight saves.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      Got back in one piece, and here are my thoughts:

1. Despite how awful Kotyra and Dumas(s) were, at the end of the day, we had a clear chance to tie it up, and we couldn't do it. I know we hear so much from Coach Appert about how refereeing is not the reason we lose games, and if he said it tonight, he is spot on. Sure, there was a slash on the first PU goal, interference on the second, not to mention the whistle happy Dumas(s), but none of that mattered in the third.
                      2. I'm starting to feel bad for Brock Higgs. That kid just can't buy a goal this year. He's a really talented player, and I'm not just saying this because they can drive 100 miles to kick my ***. He was the one with the break in the third. Of course, now that I say this, he'll probably get a hat trick next week...
                      3. Pennsylvanians can't drive. Remind me next time I go to Princeton (if ever) to take 17 around.
                      Jen and I always thought NJ drivers were the worst-until we travel through Pennsylvania-you have it exactly right.

Comment

I don't recall us ever having an early game in the North Country. Neither has any early home league games on their schedule this season.

I know that some games are early to accommodate TV, but RPI's game at PU wasn't on TV.
                        Some of their (PU) games are scheduled early to not interfere with home Basketball games (which is by far has been their bigger draw on campus).

Comment

Hockey will always play second fiddle to bouncyball in Old Nassau.
                          Here we come!

Comment

All 5 goals last night were scored directly in front of us. Yet much of the action in the third period was at the other end. Just a bit odd.

Comment

Originally posted by fr joe View Post
                              Hockey will always play second fiddle to bouncyball in Old Nassau.
                              True, but it isn't as if a lot of people attend their hockey games anyway, and fewer probably go to both.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                                Jen and I always thought NJ drivers were the worst-until we travel through Pennsylvania-you have it exactly right.
                                I haven't had much of a problem with NJ drivers, actually.

Comment

Working...
                                X