X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part III: There Will Be Math Involved

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Providence also went to 3OT, although they played the night before and did not receive 3AM room service calls.
    Exactly-we had virtually no turn around time while Providence had a complete day off. i know what Jenny and i felt like going back to the arena less than 24 hours later (we were completely wired after that Friday night game)-so I could only imagine what the boys were like.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      Nothing, absolutely nothing, can ever make up for 1985. Single most exciting hockey game I have ever seen live. Two incredibly talented teams just going at it and neither giving an inch. Honestly thought even though we prevailed-that the game took far too much out of everyone and that we would have nothing left for Providence the next night. Even though the entire team celebrated and was ecstatic coming off the ice-you could see the looks on the faces of Hammond, Carter, Oates, etc as if to say they were not sure they could come in 20 or so hours and do this again.
      Totally agree with everything you said. Just wanted to add for those younger posters in here (or just in case some people forgot) that the OT periods were only 10 minutes rather than 20 and they didn't resurface the ice until the end of the second OT. They just switched ends after the first OT.

Another good question to ask from that game would be: What if RPI was not given a power play after the scrum broke out at the end of the 2nd OT? How long would they have gone?

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
        Totally agree with everything you said. Just wanted to add for those younger posters in here (or just in case some people forgot) that the OT periods were only 10 minutes rather than 20 and they didn't resurface the ice until the end of the second OT. They just switched ends after the first OT.

Another good question to ask from that game would be: What if RPI was not given a power play after the scrum broke out at the end of the 2nd OT? How long would they have gone?
        It's hard to tell of course, but it could have ended quickly. Although no goals had been scored for over 20 minutes at that point, there were already 10 goals in the game, so it was not a low-scoring game.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

that the OT periods were only 10 minutes rather than 20 and they didn't resurface the ice until the end of the second OT. They just switched ends after the first OT.
          Did not know that! Fascinating tid bit.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, can ever make up for 1985. Single most exciting hockey game I have ever seen live. Two incredibly talented teams just going at it and neither giving an inch. Honestly thought even though we prevailed-that the game took far too much out of everyone and that we would have nothing left for Providence the next night. Even though the entire team celebrated and was ecstatic coming off the ice-you could see the looks on the faces of Hammond, Carter, Oates, etc as if to say they were not sure they could come in 20 or so hours and do this again.
          2011 made up for that. Although UMD fans will say 1984 was more heartbreaking. Obviously losing in the title game is worse than the semis.
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

As Ralph responded-with 10 goals scored and the firepower of those two teams-someone would have scored fairly soon. But you brought up a very interesting point. When the penalties were called at the end of the 2nd OT-I was sure it was a bunch of even up calls. We were astonished to see that we were awarded the extra man. The feeling most had around us was that if we did not score on that advantage-we were not going to win. BTW if you ever want to see cool and collected-watch the video of the game carefully and check out Ken Hammond for the last 2+ minutes of regulation. We needed to score to tie it up at 5-5 and he just played the situation perfectly. No panic, no pressure, just calmly control the puck and direct everything. Just plain masterful.

Comment

As Ralph responded-with 10 goals scored and the firepower of those two teams-someone would have scored fairly soon. But you brought up a very interesting point. When the penalties were called at the end of the 2nd OT-I was sure it was a bunch of even up calls. We were astonished to see that we were awarded the extra man. The feeling most had around us was that if we did not score on that advantage-we were not going to win. BTW if you ever want to see cool and collected-watch the video of the game carefully and check out Ken Hammond for the last 2+ minutes of regulation. We needed to score to tie it up at 5-5 and he just played the situation perfectly. No panic, no pressure, just calmly control the puck and direct everything. Just plain masterful.
              There have been many games, indeed many seasons, when I think that the Refs still feel they still have to even things up for giving us one fewer penalty at that time and then not calling the offsides the next day.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Is it on Youtube? I only see the championship game on there, as well as highlights from the semi.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  There have been many games, indeed many seasons, when I think that the Refs still feel they still have to even things up for giving us one fewer penalty at that time and then not calling the offsides the next day.
                  How do you spell paranoia? Don't worry-i feel exactly the same way. Jen just says that 1985 was meant to be-and the stars alligned correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Is it on Youtube? I only see the championship game on there, as well as highlights from the semi.
                    The only copy i have is on Betamax tape. Some day i have to get up off my behind and get it transferred to a DVD. There are 2 tapes of that game-one from the origianl broadcast on ESPN that includes the entire game. And a second that ESPN rebroadcast with much of the first and secon dovertimes mising (as they mentioned they were fast forwarding to further action). I had people back home tape both-but i can only find the full one. I have searched the web and not found anything on YouTube. I had hoped that RPI would have made a copy available for purchase at some time but never saw that happen.

Comment

The only copy i have is on Betamax tape. Some day i have to get up off my behind and get it transferred to a DVD. There are 2 tapes of that game-one from the origianl broadcast on ESPN that includes the entire game. And a second that ESPN rebroadcast with much of the first and secon dovertimes mising (as they mentioned they were fast forwarding to further action). I had people back home tape both-but i can only find the full one. I have searched the web and not found anything on YouTube. I had hoped that RPI would have made a copy available for purchase at some time but never saw that happen.
                      They'd never fast forward if it were football or basketball.

Comment

I am almost positive that the Duluth game was not broadcast on ESPN the day of the game. It was broadcast in the morning or the early afternoon of the next day without part of one of the overtime periods. That is what is on my Betamax tape. That tape was transferred by a friend to mine to two DVDs but is missing the winning goal. The beginning of the last overtime is there. My (former) friend claims that it wasn't on the tape either.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Unless there is something wrong with my browser, as of 1:24PM on a game day, RPI athletics has not even updated the Men's Hockey page with the weekend preview...no game notes, nothing. ***? I am the only one who thinks this is weak ??

RPI games notes....from Quinny site:

http://www.quinnipiacbobcats.com/spo...tes_QU_PRI.pdf
                          Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 01-11-2013, 12:29 PM.
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                            Unless there is something wrong with my browser, as of 1:24PM on a game day, RPI athletics has not even updated the Men's Hockey page with the weekend preview...no game notes, nothing. ***? I am the only one who thinks this is weak ??

Try http://www.rpiathletics.com/document...RI.pdf?id=1421 for RPI's game notes on the RPI site.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

My visceral reaction would lead me to believe that when classes are once again in session, we will see timely updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Try http://www.rpiathletics.com/document...RI.pdf?id=1421 for RPI's game notes on the RPI site.
                                RB: Thanks - I do not see that anywhere on the Men's Hockey site....
                                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                                X